Who is your favorite female character on 'Mad Men'?

The three leading women in AMC's hit series "Mad Men" are complicated characters. Vote for your favorite and tell us why you like her in the comments.

By Andrea Caumont  |  October 11, 2010; 1:48 PM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you think Lisa Murkowski will win the
Alaska senate race?
| Next: Test your knowledge of Helium

Comments

Joan is probably the most important person in the firm. There is an old saying in business. Do you want to talk to the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?

Posted by: koppo55 | October 11, 2010 3:38 PM

I love that all the women are complicated, and really show the changes going on in the era.

I think that Peggy is my favorite. She's young ambitious and even when everyone tells her she can't do something or it it's not a woman's place she goes ahead and tries. She doesn't always succeed but she doesn't let that stop her.

That said I don't know if it's a feminist show, or simply a realistically. Google the "Bechdel Test" and think on if showing women as fully formed individuals is feminist, or is it simply so rare that we take it to be?

Posted by: shadow27 | October 11, 2010 4:18 PM

Sally Draper, why is she not in the poll

Posted by: Potter2 | October 11, 2010 4:27 PM

The whole reason I watch this show is to see how the women cope with their roles in the sexist 60s. Jon Hamm is just the cherry on top!

Posted by: conchfc | October 11, 2010 4:54 PM

I'm a pig. Therefore, Joan since she's such a babe. I just can't figure out why she doesn't tip over.

Posted by: Boray1 | October 11, 2010 5:07 PM

I like all of the characters, and I think their acting is terrific. I love January Jones, and watching her icy repressed character, but I like the character Peggy the best. She and Don Draper are really the main characters of the show. She has that outsider-looking-in feeling, and no matter how successful she ever is, she'll always be that way.

Posted by: cococo | October 11, 2010 5:15 PM

I don't like any of the characters, male or female, on Mad Men (although I like the show a great deal!) Peggy, though, is "fresh" in the sense that I can't figure her out, and I don't know where she'll end up, but her character exhibits a "consistency" that corresponds to a real personal growth RATHER than the character's being jerked around each week for the sake of this or that writer's plot line. Certain developments (the affair with Duck Phillips, for example) might be random, but the character in general is not, and that differentiates her from the other women and from most television characters, where the character is either a stereotype, or her actions appear to be determined by a random plotline generator.

Betty - one note: harsh.

Posted by: Thrush | October 11, 2010 5:17 PM

It is just amazing how much it brought me back -- my first job out of college was in the sales end of a firm that made vibration test equipment for the Saturn V Rocket -- and the men were really sleezy, sexist, you name it -- I like Peggy she has some spunk the wife is typical of a lot of women during that era -- and Joan well, every office had one -- and the guys are so neurotic!!

Posted by: paulet | October 11, 2010 5:30 PM

I like Peggy's spunk, but Joanie is an absolute goddess, who, after Don, is the most important person at the firm.

Posted by: NatsMan21 | October 11, 2010 6:30 PM

I grew up in the 50's. Betty is the kind of chick that a guy would want - the other two don't belong.

Posted by: kingfish20815 | October 11, 2010 8:09 PM

As a heterosexual male who isn't dead yet, I should say Joan.
But Peggy is the real star of the series. Through her we see the evolution of women's role in the workplace.
Betty is a reminder that not all mothers of that era were June Cleaver.

Posted by: jnik | October 12, 2010 2:43 AM

Tough call. I like Peggy's personality the best, but admire Joan's professional abilities more. She's like a good Sergeant-Major, always in control of her people and always capable of stepping up and sorting things out when the officers get into a fix.

Posted by: robert17 | October 12, 2010 3:17 AM

Betty horrifies me - I was so happy when Don finally called he a whore! - but I agree with Potter2, my favorite female character is Sally and wanted to vote for her.

Posted by: tina6 | October 12, 2010 3:56 PM

Joan is the most complex and therefore the most fascinating character. She is the consummate social game player/survivor. See the storyline about the date rape/marriage and about her ability to foresee how television advertising should be handled better than the actual Mad Men. Joan is the most accomplished at playing the game, which is both the secret of her success and her own worst enemy. Simply put, she is too good at it.
Unlike Peggy, who doesn't pick up on other people's expectations the way Joan does and therefore, ironically, is propelled forward by her own inadequacies and inability to make men in high places desire her the way they desire Joan.
Seriously fascinating stuff!

Posted by: Jarminder | October 13, 2010 5:23 AM

My favorite actress on Mad Men is the girl who plays little Sally. So good in a cast full of fabulous actors! My favorite female role on the show is Peggy, followed closely by Joan. But that does not diminish the acting chops of January Jones...I just resent her character!

Posted by: frankiestapleton | October 13, 2010 3:57 PM

Peggy was a true feminist and the smartest of all the women on the show. She knew she was the brains behind the men but she knew how to play it down just enough to not threaten the men. She was also quite virtuous, with no hidden agendas, no desire to "take" a man's job and do whatever it took to get it. She did her job very well and didn't need someone to validate it for her. She just wanted to do her best work in any circumstances. And she did just that.

Posted by: dd8984 | October 16, 2010 12:41 AM

I'm one of those weirdos who likes Betty Draper-Francis. Not as a person, necessarily, but as a character. She's the only place I've seen the horrible effects of femininity enforcement carried out in a realistically nuanced way. She's a multilayered mess.

Posted by: getjiggly | October 22, 2010 5:15 AM

@ Thrush - "Joan - how many plotlines have we seen about a problem pregnancy in an adult woman (my guess: 150)."

Name one that wasn't on 'Mad Men.'

@tina6 - "Betty horrifies me - I was so happy when Don finally called he a whore!"

Considering how Don's cheated on her at every opportunity, that was obviously, blatantly, obnoxiously hypocritical. In her situation, you'd have built yourself a life raft too.

@dd8984 - "Peggy was a true feminist and the smartest of all the women on the show. She knew she was the brains behind the men but she knew how to play it down just enough to not threaten the men."

Playing down your intelligence so men won't feel threatened by it is not feminist. It's also not what Peggy's done.

Posted by: getjiggly | October 22, 2010 5:28 AM