Are you going to shop on Black Friday?

The day after Thanksgiving traditionally has been a big shopping day for millions of people.

By Abha Bhattarai  |  November 10, 2010; 12:04 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: What is the most important issue facing the Group of 20? | Next: Which D.C. team's uniform do you like best?

Comments

You bet i'll be there in line. Last year I waited 5 hours and saved $150 on a laptop. It was easy, the line was indoors (at walmart) and I just read a book. This year i'll be getting my 40-inch LCD (for which I've saved all year for).

Having worked retail and many black fridays in the past, I know that many doorbusters are often sold at or below cost, so in a way i'm sticking it to the man.

Everything else will be purchased online.

Posted by: lmn8r | November 11, 2010 4:58 AM

There's a new 62" plasma with my name on it.

Posted by: 1911a1 | November 11, 2010 7:27 AM

Black Friday is:

"Buy Nothing Day"

Celebrate and enjoy!

Posted by: FriendofKeyserSoze | November 19, 2010 3:34 AM

People who give up their Thanksgiving with their families to...get up at three am to stand in the cold and trample others just so they can get their electronics have odd priorities, IMO. Black Friday starts earlier and earlier, cutting into the actual Thankgiving for the poor workers. (And please do not tell me they can just get another job--with that attitude, we would still have child workers and a 60-hour week. Some things are just wrong and forcing retail workers to give up their holiday for non-essential work is one of them.) I understand the deals are tempting but it's just not worth it--spend time with your family instead.

Posted by: NYC123 | November 19, 2010 9:58 AM

We will be celebrating Buy Nothing Day in a quiet ceremony at home.

Posted by: Dadrick | November 19, 2010 10:58 AM

We will be celebrating Buy Nothing Day in a quiet ceremony at home.
Posted by: Dadrick

Us too.

Posted by: lepidopteryx | November 22, 2010 8:22 AM

The workers deserve time with their families. We need to stop this insanity now. If workers have to come in at midnight to satisfy the greed of consumers, they should be paid triple time.

Posted by: mmad2 | November 22, 2010 9:37 AM

More to the holidays -- more to life really -- than buying stuff. If you're lucky enough to have the Friday after Thanksgiving off, spend it with family and friends. Take a hike, go to a museum, do something enriching and fun ... which means staying as far as possible from the malls. Don't buy into the consumerism hype!

Posted by: tomguy1 | November 22, 2010 10:43 AM

Heck no! I haven't been anywhere near a retail establishment on Black Friday since I had to work retail back in college.

No deal is good enough to endure the insanity of trampling consumerism that rears its ugly head that day.

I will be holed up with some of my best buddies, watching movies, nursing the food-hangover, and (of course) eating leftovers.

Plus, my husband and I will be giving homemade goodies as gifts this year -- what few things I'll purchase will be from local businesses in my small town.

Buy Nothing Day sounds right up my alley!

Posted by: MiuBot116 | November 22, 2010 10:57 AM

I celebrate Buy Nothing Day and do all I can to stop mindless consumerism.

Our Solstice gifts this year will be an assortment of homemade jams made with fruits from local farms.

Posted by: CellBioProf | November 22, 2010 11:21 AM

It's a free country and people can do what they want. But I'd rather have my tongue stapled to my eyeball than go shopping on Black Friday. The level of rudeness one must endure then is enough by itself to make one long for mass sterility among those indulging in this shameless festival of crass commercialism.

(Full disclosure: I'm a misanthropic, skinflint of an old coot who hates to shop, anyway. I don't think anyone will miss me . . .)

Posted by: post_reader_in_wv | November 22, 2010 11:40 AM