Do you agree with the conviction of ex-House Majority Leader Tom DeLay?

A Texas jury found ex-House Majority Leader Tom Delay guilty of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering today. He was convicted on charges he illegally funneled corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002. Delay was forced to step down from his position in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006.

By Ryan Kellett  |  November 24, 2010; 6:02 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should certain organizations against same-sex marriage be deemed 'hate groups'? | Next: How important are community colleges in rebuilding the economy?

Comments

Just imagine.

Because of Delay's money laundering ? He helped GET the House GOP that ENABLED the GOP to push for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

This wasn't JUST money laundering.

This was WHAT HELPED the GOP Push for entry into Iraq.

I hope this expands UPWARDS.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:03 PM

From GOP image prop manufacturing show Dancing with the Stahhhhs to ?

Prancing with the Laws ?

hmm- I wonder if this will set precedent for other 'political' candidates on DWTS ?

Perhaps Palin's daughter acting as CEO of for her SarahPAC ? I do say- I wonder if it's legal to include Political Action Campaign and collect money from exploitable fundamentalist Christians who are happy to give their money away to help validate it's the end of the world (End Days) when you AREN'T EVEN RUNNING FOR OFFICE ?

I do say- SarahPAC might be the NEXT money laundering escapade we can watch unfold.

That WOULD be golden - watch how FAST Bristol runs from her acting role as CEO of Palin's non political ? political action committee ?

This could be cathartic for the natioin.

Good work DOJ - I'll lay off ya a bit, looks like Justice DOES still exist in the US.

I was convinced Delay was on DWTS for image repair - and that he'd probably of course be found not guilty.

Had Bush been in office ? His sentence would have simply been commuted.

Sorry Tom, you shouldn't have WAITED SO LONG ! LOL - can't win em all Delay. I just wonder why Delay's WIFE wasn't indicted - perhaps YET.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:09 PM

Justice is finally served!!!!!!!!!!Happy Thanksgiving Tom Delay.

Posted by: basine | November 24, 2010 7:11 PM

Justice is finally served!!!!!!!!!!Happy Thanksgiving Tom Delay.

Posted by: basine | November 24, 2010 7:13 PM

Now, IF Delay's actions put 7 Texas GOP into the House ? Which enabled Bush to push for Iraq all the easier ? and we all know Texas never has ANYTHING to do with oil, and we all know that BTC pipeline HAlliburton built in RECORD time - running- unfortunately RIGHT through Iraq and needed protection ? would NOT be in ANY interest to the Texan's - such as Barton ?

I wonder, if this can expand outward and go retro as to WHO took the money - and DOJ can explore THOSE Texan House representatives who RECEIVED this CRIMINAL in origin money ? and seek prosecution of those 7 Texans not yet formally charged for being involved.

Perhaps there were some plea deals in the background we don't know of at DOJ, who knows, I sure would like FURTHER accountability for THOSE politicians who Delay was laundering this money FOR.

Gee, the ultimate disaster for the US would be a SCOTUS elected POTUS where SCOTUS was involved in money laundering.

Gee- that would uproot the entire justice system in this nation if the SCOTUS is ever found to be involved in Bush's alleged election in 2000.

Cheney was DROOLING in 1998 about the 6 trillion in oil in the Caspian - the plans to get Bush into the White House began THEN.

Oddly, I see this pattern with Palin, Bush didn't quit though, but he started advanced learning sessions on just what certain terms meant ! Watch "Roves Brain" - interesting movie demonstrating the CRAM sessions Rove arranged for Bush to bring him up to par. I GUARANTEE you Rove isn't helping Palin in any such sessions, but her announcement today that the US needs to support it's North Korean allies may have sealed her fate shut politically- lol.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:14 PM

Now you know why most of the Texas legislature ran away to Oklahoma trying to stop the GOP.

Posted by: bluetiger | November 24, 2010 7:15 PM

Unfortunately for Tom DeLay he was tried in the Texas Bastion of Leftist Liberals. The jury was stacked against him from the very start. The only way he could have gotten a fair shake and trial would be for
a change of Venue. Upon Appeal he will be
found inocent of the bogus charges. The
Texas Court of Appeals will be the next step in this case. Rather strange how
a Republican can be found guilty on bogus
charges yet Democrats don't even get a
slap on the wrist if it ever goes to trial.

Posted by: jmsmaxwell | November 24, 2010 7:17 PM

It'll be overturned. The law is not applicable to the events.

All this concern about campaign financing is being brought fourth out of a well of fascist beliefs.

It's long overdue to begin cleaning our legal code of laws that inhibit free speech.

Posted by: muawiyah | November 24, 2010 7:18 PM

Hip-Hip-HOORAY!

They finally nailed The Hammer.

Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate guy!

Posted by: angelos_peter | November 24, 2010 7:21 PM

Wonder if he will get Hammered when he bends over to get the soap in prison?

let's have another user poll along the lines of do you think he will like it or hate it when he gets Hammered while bending over to pick up the soap in prison.

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | November 24, 2010 7:25 PM

Hey, if the DOJ keeps up this performance ?

I'll stop leaning so heavily on them !

This is TRULY a remarkable day- even THOUGH I'm SURE Delay will attempt to have it overturned. I see Enron Jeffrey Skilling is seeking to have his conviction overturned. My god, Key Lay was the #1 user of the Bush campaign jet in 2000. And THEN we find out Ken ONLY wanted to control the GLOBAL energy grid. JUST the GLOBAL energy grid. I can't imagine Bush's interests - gee, what did they talk about up there at 30,000 feet ? The people below them ?

Amazing how a crack dealer (not condoning it) would never have a CHANCE at appealing on premise of "I misspoke" - yet Delay will somehow seek this. It concerns me that it's still possible this is a bells an whistles conviction, that there is an expected second round. HOW bizarre for some, that conviction only ever means - ROUND ONE. I REALLY hope this one sticks. It is necessary for catharsis.

It's REAL scary that Delay's CRIMINAL antics here actually SHAPED the US House of Representatives as 7 Texan House Representatives were on the receiving end of the money laundering.

Hmm- I DO WONDER- aren't they guilty by association ? Could this lead to SEVEN new convictions ?

Would be ICING on the CAKE if Barton can be pinned on this.

We're playing with FIRE letting big oil lobby control our climate policy as we watch all emerging green jobs shift away from the US to Venezuela, India and China, all the while GOP promises JOBS - HA - they're the reason US isn't able to PARTICIPATE in the GLOBAL revolution in green energy jobs.

One can debate causal factors of where half of the Greenland ice sheet went, er, not where, but WHY - but one can NOT debate that over 50% of the world's GDP is from EMERGING industrial nations now, and they are NOT 80% GDP SERVICE jobs the US is LEFT with (wait till we discover without home equity to tap into, there won't BE a consumer base for long, no new cars, no borrowing for higher education even- which without ? We're heading towards Afghanistan - literally as to literacy), and one can not debate those emerging nations are finding themselves with MANY new jobs in the fastest growing industrial sector on the planet- Green energy.

Of course, Delay's Texan politicians - even Barton ? have NO interest in the opportunities for US citizens to tap into these emerging job markets - for clearly the US needs to stick with oil and coal ! Why ? It's what God wants for us !

LOL- what a CROCK - actually, NO LOL - what a SHOCK.

I think two generations down the road, they'll look back and call it criminal what the oil lobbied GOP did to restructure the US as a third world economy after the consumer base without jobs - certainly without any of the newly emerging green energy jobs- the LARGEST growing jobs sector - finds itself unable to consume without the home equity or credit that used to exist before Goldman and Countrywide destroyed home equity- well- Country Wide !

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:27 PM

Finally the truth is told about this moron exterminator with the bad breath. Tom De Lay
is just one example of what`s wrong with republican politics. Lying and cheating are the only rules de lay knows .His well known whoring is legendary . Tom got what Tom deserved . Give him LIFE in prison.

Posted by: wts1574 | November 24, 2010 7:34 PM

Now, if Boehner, another of the Abramoff circle, (too stupid to be as dirty as the rest, still, very much part of it...

would get his just due...an indictment for same, maybe some semblance of justice,
some wiping out of the payoffs to congress, could begin.

But not as long as Wall Street's favorite Mitch McConnell is raking it in.
The "clean government republicnas" HORSE LAUGH.

Posted by: whistling | November 24, 2010 7:36 PM

Apparently there IS a God, and he/she DOESN'T like crooks. Next up Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld - the unholy Trinity. Wouldn't THAT be sweet!

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | November 24, 2010 7:40 PM

whoever could have guessed that this big old turkey would be served up right at thanksgiving...

enjoy your feasting tomorrow, everyone. you can bet the hammer ain't gonna be feeling it... hahahaha.

Posted by: mycomment | November 24, 2010 7:40 PM

How is it possible that he gets to choose the judge who will sentence him????/

Posted by: buzzsaw1 | November 24, 2010 7:40 PM

I keep on refreshing and voting yes,

I have a feeling someone is out there refreshing (f5) and voting no!

This one needed to have a limit set- but like Dancing with the Stars ?

I guess people can just keep on voting and voting and voting.... !? ?

This vote should be reset and WAPO should get the web developers to limit it to one vote per user.

If technology can be exploited ? in voting ?

You bet it will be.

Look at Curtis, the programmer Jeb Bush hired in Florida for the Diebold voting machines, he was hired to create a program to run undetected that would alter the vote count, he testified before congress.

We never really heard much more about that, but he showed up again in 2004 for the Ohio election. Curtis was hired indirectly through Wang.

I remember Wang - Wang used to be serious name in computers ! Anyone else remember "I got a Wang" ? I always felt like it was closer to Charlie Brown on Halloween "I got a rock".

Overrated business machines, EITHER WAY - when allowing for voting ? There MUST be a precedent to protect the integrity of the votes USING the technology afforded to allow the voting to take place.

WAPO - tsk tsk - ALL respect, but this vote needs to be reset, if I can sit there and vote over and over for YES ? Someone can sit there and vote over and over for No, I didn't attempt to monkey wrench it - but I intended to demonstrate just how we can be misled by improperly secured voting technologies.

I do happen to feel and think - yes - this is a good start with this conviction.

Image control is EVERYTHING to the GOP.

Look at Delay on Dancing with the Stars

Look at ? WTH is Bristol Palin doing on DWTS ? I have never watched it- I don't have time, I'm too busy counting how many heads got blown off in Afghanistan or that 20% of all US suicides are returning Iraq and Afghanistan vets- I don't have TIME for Dancing with the Stars.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:40 PM

Pretty Thin ... within the rules and legal.

vice

Noted Scum-balls and Celebrated Democrat Slime ...

Rangel - "censored" Rangel for blatant tax evasion, misuse of fund and the office, lying to the City of New York for 4 rent controlled apartments

Waters - TARP-ing the 200th of 200 poorly stressed banks, because it be a "minority bank" ... and her husband's bank

Pelosi - free 10 Million dollar boat doak for husband in Stimulus

Feinstein - $30 Billion in "troubled" NO-Bid TARP assets to husband CEO of CBRE

Democrats get 5 ... 11 Rangel strikes and they contrive a debt swap to get Delay

Posted by: highkey11 | November 24, 2010 7:44 PM

can't wait until we comvict obama of money laundering and illegal contributions...
it's just a matter of time...
with this white house it's just a matter of time for the last black president of the United States...

Posted by: DwightCollins | November 24, 2010 7:45 PM

The best is yet to come - howls of outrage from the Republican hypocrites who want to hold all manner of investigations, possibly trying to impeach the President for minor politicking, and gloating over the foibles of some Democratic House members. DeLay was nothing more than a symptom of the fact that the Republican party is owned lock, stock and barrel by K-Street.

Posted by: sgoddar1 | November 24, 2010 7:48 PM

I'm confused.

Posted by: jralger | November 24, 2010 7:52 PM

Delay has said all along that he trusted that God and Jesus would speak to the jury so that they would render the correct verdict and, guess what? It looks like God and Jesus did as Delay prayed that they would.
Finally, Republican Tea-Bagger and Sarah Palin favorite Tom Delay has been proven guilty of the crimes he committed, and his sentence should be life in prison, with no chance of parole.
Delay did everything he could to destroy our system of government in order to enrich himself and his corporate masters, and the damage he did will take years to repair, if ever.
Even Delay's family will have nothing to do with him, he is that vile and depraved.
Justice is served.

Posted by: FriendofKeyserSoze | November 24, 2010 7:57 PM

He said that he only lent his name to the PAC? I guess that wants us all to believe that he didn't put much value in his name, but apparently the jury didn't buy that excuse and made it priceless with the life sentence now hanging over his head. He sought to undermine the greatest country in the worlds government, he's no better than a terrorist.

Posted by: AverageJane | November 24, 2010 7:57 PM

I can only repeat, and add Halleluia!

Posted by: Pangraz | November 24, 2010 7:57 PM

Under Texas law, corporate money can't go directly to political campaigns. ...

Gee, under Alaskan law- money can go right to a Political Action Committee even if the person collecting the money isn't running.

I'd LOVE to see Palin have to give all the money back and say "okay okay, it wasn't REALLY the end of the world, I was just exploiting you religious fundamentalists"

Hey - Rove got Bush the Tim La Haye Bible Belt vote- anyone seen Tim La Haye recently on TV? He's ONLY on about how we are 'certainly' living in End Times - Jesus Christ - where do these people come from ?

I mean, in Afghanistan ? They have - well I say from people on the ground I know - they say 90% illiteracy, President Obama says 70%, let's call it 80% - in Afghanistan ? they have 80% illiteracy and STILL only 3% of the nation supports the diatribe of the outer tribes of the Taliban.

In the US ? Looks to be worse.

In World War II ? I think people would find it AN INSULT to US servicemen to be endeavoring in Dancing with the Stars while EACH DAY- REAL PEOPLE- US service men and women combined face DEATH - and some DO die - in Afghanistan.

It is most amazing Palin can find time for Dancing with the Stars but I've not seen her mention ONE single person by name who died in Afghanistan during the same airtime as Dancing with the Stars.

Imagine WW II - if such a show existed, running GOP failures - trying to reconstitute the orange juice, er, reconstitute their image- or constitute it, meanwhile being responsible for a VOLUNTARY OCCUPATION ?

That plane doesn't fly.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:58 PM

Arrogant ba*****d...there needs to be a few more taken down for crimes against the people they are supposed to represent...right "Dubya"?

Posted by: omg3 | November 24, 2010 8:00 PM

The Hammer should be nervous about getting "nailed" in jail.

Posted by: AverageJane | November 24, 2010 8:03 PM

The Hammer should be nervous about getting "nailed" in jail.

Posted by: AverageJane | November 24, 2010 8:03 PM

Darn - I used every letter, which means WAPO holds it for review by blog owner.

So I broke it in two, and I LOST my second half - hopefully WAPO posts the entire thing.

More or less my point was- that Delay AND Palin- ESPECIALLY Delay for he helped MAKE the Iraq War take shape - by using this corrupt money to get those 7 Texan House GOP elected which greased the way for the Iraq vote....

And that how can these people - Delay and Palin - who are pro 'let's go fight the people we call terrorists today' ? While Palin USES the US Service men and women as the unconditional 'See, I say I respect them so you HAVE to agree with me, because who doesn't ? ' ? Meanwhile was the US service men and women ? risk their lives, LOSE their lives, IN combat AND join the 20% of all US suicides that are now returning Iraq and Afghan war vets ?

Palin's daughter and Tom Delay have time for 'Dancing with the Stars'

WHAT A SICK SICK insult -

I was saying in WW II ? you wouldn't find this - income taxes were 90%. And the GOP to 2% that takes 24% of income in the US ? wants to PAY LESS than rECORD low taxes- during the 'wartime' they created.

Iraq was NEVER connected to 9.11

Afghanistan wasn't EITHER.

Last I checked, ALL the pilots were Saudi's.

But we keep selling the Saudi's US Military jets- why in 1991 ? There was Dick Cheney selling the Saudi's F-15's to the legal limit of 54, then Bush sr. uncapped the limit and he sold them some more.

Seems the BUSHES, Cheney - the Saudi's and JET AIRPLANES have a LOT in common.

Doesn't it.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 8:04 PM

This whole thing was politically motivated. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. What has happened to Americans as they will villify those with whom they disagree. Bill Clinton lied to a grand jury and didn't go to jail. This case should have been dismissed. Tom Delay doesn't deserve to go to jail anymore than Bill Clinton or Charlie Rangel. Gotcha politics is horrible and liberals are masters at it. If I were Republicans in the House, I would take steps to charge Rangel, Maxine Waters and Berniece Johnson with lying and stealing. This stuff has to stop.

Posted by: Jackets | November 24, 2010 8:04 PM

A death sentence would be nice. Have a happy thanksgiving.

Posted by: johng1 | November 24, 2010 8:06 PM

Gee, the nation that the 9.11 pilots DID come from ?

Gets a hand in hand visit by the President of the US - and even MORE military arms contracts for the US SELLING it's MILITARY TECHNOLOGY = fighter jets TO the country that produced ALL the pilots for 9.11 WTC - meanwhile Iraq and Afghanistan are invaded, ZERO connection to 9.11.

right makes sense to me.

All that's missing is maybe a nice distraction like "Where's Natalie Holloway - 24 hours a day- in and out - ZERO coverage of lives lost in Iraq, but where is that Natalie Holloway" from Fox News - media prop lobby entity- and - why ?

Dancing with the Stahhhhhhsssss.....

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 8:07 PM

DO I agree with it?
What kind of stupid question is this. None of us were at the trial to comment on the facts. This is ridiculous!

Posted by: bestowens | November 24, 2010 8:10 PM

The hammer gets the slammer... It couldn't happen to a more evil individual.

Posted by: gfoster56 | November 24, 2010 8:12 PM

A death sentence would be nice. Have a happy thanksgiving.

Posted by: johng1 | November 24, 2010 8:06 PM

Johng1 - ?

Actually Delay's abuse of campaign funds here that led to the 7 Texan House Reps ? that helped push Iraqi Freedom through ?

Was a death sentence to MANY US soldiers - and plenty of Iraqi's caught in the cross fire, not counting the over 1 million refugees who managed to get out of Iraq and relocate to Syria.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 8:14 PM

And I thought that the greatest miracle I would ever see was the Saints winning the Superbowl! Oh happy days!

Let's see how many fiscal conservatives will contribute to the legal fund of Mr. Pork Barrel.

Posted by: maggots | November 24, 2010 8:16 PM

Stupid poll question. Jury answered question, and you polling support. dUMB, REAL DUMB

Posted by: talktotoki | November 24, 2010 8:16 PM

We don't care about Delay- he's already been replaced by Boehner...Next Story...

Posted by: The_New_Deal | November 24, 2010 8:20 PM

This is a stupid poll. Jurors sit through days of evidence and come to a reasoned conclusion. All that the responders to the poll know is what they read in the Washington Post. Try the same poll with Fox News viewers. Such results are meaningless.

Posted by: Desertstraw | November 24, 2010 8:24 PM

Unless the commentators attended all of the trial, they have no sound basis for agreeing or disagreeing with the verdict. Relying on news media for accurate information concerning judicial proceedings and decisions is equivalent to believing in the tooth fairy. "Agreeing" or "disagreeing" is merely expressing the commentator's desires regarding the outcome of the trial.

Posted by: ljrqcom | November 24, 2010 8:26 PM

What took so long???
Texas Justice

Posted by: biglen99 | November 24, 2010 8:27 PM

OF COURSE we agree. We are readers of the Wash Post, aren't we? And he's a Republican, isn't he? Why bother with a trial? He must be guilty!

Posted by: dennis10 | November 24, 2010 8:29 PM

This jury's decision will be overturned without question.

Posted by: gun313 | November 24, 2010 8:39 PM

I have to agree with LJRQCOM, since we weren't there on the jury, hearing the evidence for and against, we have no sound basis for an opinion regarding the conviction.

ON the other hand, I hate the bastard as an example of the worst kind of opportunistic scum our political class produces. Republican, Democrat, or whatever other kind of degenerate ... all I can think about is Terry Schaivo and what Tom DeLay did to her family, all of her family.

I hope Bubba and LeRoy make him their girlfriend in prison.

Posted by: eezmamata | November 24, 2010 8:40 PM

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 7:03 PM

Nah, Clinton and Gates look way in over their heads to bring up the past holders of these important positions. Rumsfeld was a HW hold over and Gates is an idiot. I still admire Condi, when you speak Russian and look like a beach with an attitude, that's what a SOS should project. No need for a translator comrade. Hilly can't even get the spelling right. Anybody else remember the reset button gaffe?

Posted by: elcigaro1 | November 24, 2010 8:52 PM

This should not have been a Yes/No question as Maybe would have been a better answer. Questions like this supports the saying, figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Posted by: gmclain | November 24, 2010 8:57 PM

Jail time is warranted, but get ready for him to get a lame amount of probation. He needs to do Dancing 'Hind the Bars.

Posted by: kevincostello | November 24, 2010 9:03 PM

Tom DeLay will soon be appearing with Lapdance on Dancing with the stars.

What was her name, you know, Sarah Palin's daughter ... I just can't remember.

Soon, a book deal. Rush will be screaming at the top of his greasy fat lungs how this must be a liberal conspiracy. And Hannity will choke on his own vomit.

Of course Olberman will have a 24-minute diatribe on DeLay's conviction.

How many of you are waiting for your favorite political celebrity to tell you how you should feel about this? You putzes.

Posted by: eezmamata | November 24, 2010 9:09 PM

Tom DeLay got some Texas justice! Instead of dancing with the stars, he'll be grabbing the bars. Could not have happened to a more deserving person.

Posted by: meldupree | November 24, 2010 9:11 PM

If only Tom Delay could have waited for the Conservative Supreme Court to make political "Money Laundering" legal, he would be scot-free today.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | November 24, 2010 9:25 PM

There is a difference in breaking the law and breaching ethics...Delay broke the law...not just election law but money laundering laws...Rangel, Waters, et al., may have breached ethics....If it is discovered that they actually broke laws, they will be prosecuted...Just a couple of weeks ago a former Texas House member, a Democrat, was convicted in an Austin courtroom by an Austin jury...

Someone whined that Delay was convicted by a loaded "liberal" jury. Delay's lawyer, a very successful lawyer of significant fame accepted every member of the Delay jury..Austin is the center of a metropolitan area of 1,000,000 people. They are not all liberals...

Posted by: harleyj | November 24, 2010 9:26 PM

Keep Austin Weird!

Posted by: eezmamata | November 24, 2010 9:30 PM

May he be the recipient of a very stiff, if not the maximum, sentence. Maybe this will send a blunt and rather clear message to the GOP. Maybe Justice Roberts is listening or watching, for this but a rebuke to such people.

Posted by: prokofiev85 | November 24, 2010 9:48 PM

Posted by: prokofiev85 | November 24, 2010 9:49 PM

May he be the recipient of a very stiff, if not the maximum, sentence.
===========
And he should be careful of bending over to retrieve a soap or he'll receive a boehner.

Posted by: apocrypha | November 24, 2010 10:08 PM

Easily overturned on appeal. Austin is an island on moonbattery in an otherwise sane state, and the laws in question will be found inapplicable to the actions in question when the case is examined.

Posted by: OttoDog | November 24, 2010 10:11 PM

it's just a matter of time...
POSTED BY: DWIGHTCOLLINS | NOVEMBER 24, 2010 7:45 PM

///////////

ITS “CONVICT” NOT “COMVICT”! YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A RACIST…THEY ARE USUALLY THE DUMBEST CLUCK ON A BLOG…

Posted by: Citi__Street | November 24, 2010 10:42 PM

JMSMaxwell opined: The jury was stacked against him from the very start. The only way he could have gotten a fair shake and trial would be for a change of Venue.
__________________________________________

I live in Austin TX/Travis County and can report to WaPo readers, and to you Mr. Max, that the stacking attempt was tried by the DeLay defense team. It failed. Earlier, DeLay's attempt to taint the jury pool by running radio/TVads against the DA failed, too. No station was willing to jeopardize their broadcast license by failing to "serve the public interest, convenience and necessity."
Re: fairness/change of venue- the DeLay team polled the county and discovered that very few people here in Central Texas had any idea who The Hammer was.
Care to try again?

Posted by: tojby_2000 | November 24, 2010 10:58 PM

Larry Craig isn't not looking forward to getting nailed.

Posted by: HRPuffinstuff | November 24, 2010 11:00 PM

Just imagine.
This wasn't JUST money laundering.
This was WHAT HELPED the GOP Push for entry into Iraq.
I hope this expands UPWARDS.
Posted by: HRPuffinstuff
===========================================
Ah, the last moonbat fantasy. Don't forget all the lefties in congress who voted as well.

Anyone seen Nancy?

Posted by: TonyRezko | November 24, 2010 11:11 PM

Tom Delay, a used car salesman and a Nixon kind of guy.

He was a terrible congressman who operated without a moral compass.

We've just elected a few more who have talked their way into our government on the wings of a spiderwab of GOP misinformation.

Posted by: kencamarro | November 24, 2010 11:21 PM

The DOJ had nothing to do with the prosecution of DeLay. The case was originated by Ronnie Earl - The DA in Austin - that horrible bastion of liberalism in Texas - actually a nice place inhabited by sane citizens - especially when the lege is not meeting.

DeLay was cited as being one of the worst legislators when he was in the state legislature. His "effectiveness" improved only after he discovered money.

Posted by: billyd4 | November 24, 2010 11:40 PM

The distraction is the usual Republicans versus Democrats being the more corrupt and vice versa. It's the whole system that has institutionalized corruption.
It's amazing to watch each of these corrupt polititians (from both parties) look the camera in the eye and proclaim their innocence and the grave injustice they have suffered.
It's not a perfect solution but what scares the hell out of all of them is TERM LIMITS.
The system needs to change before the people's interests are once again guiding the country.

Posted by: harperusps | November 24, 2010 11:41 PM

Nice run while you had it, Hammer. Now Fox News and the Bush cabal will throw you under the bus. You're cooked, turkey. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: faygokid | November 24, 2010 11:49 PM

jmsmaxwell wrote:

Rather strange how
a Republican can be found guilty on bogus
charges yet Democrats don't even get a
slap on the wrist if it ever goes to trial.
----
Yeah, all Democrats get is a slap on the wrist. Have you forgotten how the Republicans impeached President Clinton, wasting 40 million dollars on a report of marital infidelity. It would be interesting if it were not so tragic to compare the treatment of Clinton over lying about his affair with Lewinsky to the treatment of Bush, who invaded a country without reason, increasing the number of terrorists in the world, squandering a trillion dollars and thousands of lives, who has received NOTHING, no reprimand, NOTHING. How dare you even make the accusation you make? Keep your lies and ignorance to yourself. You disgust me.

Posted by: nyrunner101 | November 25, 2010 12:10 AM

Tom DeLay;I hope you and your family have the most miserable holiday season humanly possble after your arrogance in the Senate you thought would get you through life. Couldn't have happened to a more despicable corrupt politician. Where's the money you funneled to your wife and your daughter's non-existant business? Look at the good side,your're almost dead anyway and Bernie needs a cellmate. Go to prison for the reast of your life,too bad more of the corrupt bums in the Bush/Cheney disaster aren't going with you.

Posted by: walkman1956 | November 25, 2010 12:19 AM

Couldn't happen to a more deserving fella. Well actually there's Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and the whole neocon cabal of torturers and war criminals.

Posted by: aardman | November 25, 2010 12:35 AM

"Hey - anyone seen Donald Rumsfeld ? Seems Rice and Rumsfeld have all but disappeared off the radar, I don't see ANYTHING in the corporate driven press about them."

They are hiding in Israel.

Posted by: knjincvc | November 25, 2010 1:00 AM

The only pity of it is that the Supreme Court isn't included in the conviction, since they've authorized a far worse version of the crime.

Posted by: wine-maker | November 25, 2010 1:54 AM

Some are quick to say justice is served. Not so fast. It will be served after he spends life in jail working the rockpile. I will believe it when I see it. Well connected republicans dont spend much time in jail. They dont get executed for war crimes either. Just wait and see, he will appeal, run out the clock and Sarah will commute his sentence. Just like Bush did for Libby.

Posted by: jimbobkalina1 | November 25, 2010 2:29 AM

Many of us, and I'm one of them, never thought we would see this day.
There is some justice in this world.
We Southeast Texans who were among the victims of his malice, his selfish power plays and his aggrandizement, rejoice.
At long last!
Thank you, God.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | November 25, 2010 2:54 AM

In DeLay's mind you've got to imagine that he believes what he did was right. Like a lot of cheaters he's willing to flout the rules to advance his own aims simply because he sees he sees the ends as justifying the means -- even if the "end" is merely his own glorification and advancement. There are no restraints. The man has as much conscience as a socio-path. This may be one reason that the Christian right was so attracted to him. He was and remains a perfect fit for today's GOP.

Posted by: JPRS | November 25, 2010 3:02 AM

This is America. Why wouldn't we have faith in the integrity of our judicial system, especially in a criminal trial like this? Is it up to polls to decide?

Posted by: tigman_2 | November 25, 2010 4:31 AM

THIS CONVICTION IS EXEMPLIFIED BY THE LIES AND FRAUD CAST UPON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. OTHERS SHOULD BE TRIED...THIS SHOULD INCLUDE RUMSFELT OR RICE..AND CERTAINLY CHENEY, FEITH AND ABSOLUTELY GEORGE.

Posted by: LTC11A | November 25, 2010 5:07 AM

Justice, what a sweet word. Thank you Tom for added reason to be Thankful today. Let your sentence proceed without delay.

Posted by: eaglehawkaroundsince1937 | November 25, 2010 5:17 AM

"The Hammer" lets change his nickname to "The Slammer"
GOOGLE the K STREET PROJECT...you will really see what he did.

Posted by: clifton3 | November 25, 2010 6:17 AM

Perhaps this country can finally move in the right direction where the word is out that ethics, morals, and the law prevails no matter who we are.

Posted by: lltroy | November 25, 2010 6:33 AM

How is it possible that he gets to choose the judge who will sentence him????/>

I believe he was allowed to choose sentencing by a judge as opposed to a jury sentence. The reporter`s choice of phrasing
may have contributed to confusion.

Posted by: nanonano1 | November 25, 2010 7:15 AM

The old snake eyes has finally had his fangs cut off. Happy Thanksgiving Tom! You will look dapper in an orange jump suit.

Posted by: veloboldie | November 25, 2010 7:18 AM

Look how long it took to bring him to justice and what will he get, maybe some time in a Federal stay-and-play facility for white collar criminals...where punishment is having thier after-dinner cocktails is a Styrofoam cup.
When can we all expect the vermin and filth on Wall Street and thier career politcian helpers brought to justice...for looting and scamming the economy...which in time of war is not only theft but treason punishable by death...and that would include off-shoring industries and jobs which threatens our security...public executions for treason would be justice along with the confiscation of all wealth and property.

Posted by: 123Njord | November 25, 2010 7:24 AM

I hope he gets Life in Prison!! Maybe it'll give McConnell, Boehner, DeMint a conscious.
We the People Want Justice!! NO Double Standards for Politicians or... Corporate CEO's and board members !!

Posted by: HopeForAmerica | November 25, 2010 7:29 AM

They'll send him off to the barbed-wire Hilton for a couple of years.
Too bad they won't put him in a REAL prison, like Leavenworth.

Posted by: TOMHERE | November 25, 2010 7:36 AM

It was a hachet job. He couldn't get a fair trial in liberal Austin. He'll get off on appeal.

Posted by: Roszel | November 25, 2010 7:53 AM

A stupid poll pandering to closed minded and closed eyes teabaggers. Of course they support their crooked little Napolean from Texas just like they did Nixon.

The court CONVICTED him. Theocons would like to cherry-pick court verdicts like they do their holy scriptures and the Constitution.

Posted by: areyousaying | November 25, 2010 8:08 AM

A Republican and a Christian convicted?

The little Fox News addicted pea brains can no better accept this than they could America elected a black president.

Posted by: areyousaying | November 25, 2010 8:16 AM

good going for the jury in austin. many americans are lazy and will listen to beck and limbaugh and believe what they say because it's too much trouble to look it up themselves, but when you have another side showing them with proof not lies and innuendo they get it and come to a reasonable conclusion. this is the second jury trial in the last couple of weeks that conservatives are complaining liberal bias without actually being there or seeing the evidence. i'm wondering when delay will call on the aclu to help him [ala rush limbaugh] with this supposed abuse of power.

Posted by: blinwilly | November 25, 2010 8:26 AM

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good riddance to bad rubbish. May his successors and emulators enjoy the same fate.

Posted by: bloommarko4 | November 25, 2010 8:38 AM

Tom DeLay election corruption conviction was caused by Tom Delay desire to gerrymander the electrol districts of Texas. The concept the Republican would win in more seat by comfortable margin and Democractic would win by 80% or more would cause more to elected. In city that has 4 seats with a 60/40 voting pattern of the residents it is possible for side with 40% to win 3 seats the 60% win one by lumping most of the majority in one seat and by spreading the minority equality but victorious in the remaining 3 seats. The United States needs a neutral electoral commision that will supervise the districting and voting fairly. No more long lineups in some districts, but not in districts favored by electoral commissioner short ones, no more phoney convict list and no more gerrymandering.
Tom Delay wanted to fix elections with corporate money in the last election one side had wads of cash courtesy of the corrupt election on 2000 where the Republicans disqualified 38,000 honest black voters in Florida.

Posted by: jameskir500 | November 25, 2010 8:56 AM

Do I "support" the convection? I wasn't on the jury, I didn't see the evidence. Pretty stupid poll.

It should just ask, "Do you like Tom Delay?"

Posted by: brian_away | November 25, 2010 8:57 AM

I hope Delay gets hammered in the butt by his cell mate.

Posted by: montana123 | November 25, 2010 8:59 AM

I love the conviction, but I wish it had been made by anyone other than the slimeball Austin District Attorney's office.

Posted by: GordonShumway | November 25, 2010 9:22 AM

Does this mean that the Republicans have to give Texas back to the people? Does it mean that the elected representatives in GOP-created districts because of Delay's actions must be made to resign? Does this make a redo redoable? I report, you decide.

Posted by: DavidEden | November 25, 2010 9:24 AM

"The Mills of God grind slow but they grind exceeding small;
Patiently he waits until he grinds them all"

Mr. DeLay had lots of opportunity to not exercise his authority like a hoodlum. He systematically did not take that path.
He bullied and pushed forward trampling anyone in his way (he was true to form as a former pest exterminator). He tried to make himself above the Law. He has now been found guilty by a jury of his peers.

Sometimes, the system works. Now, let us see how "they" pour resources to wiggle out of their history of malfeasance.

Posted by: doppler1 | November 25, 2010 9:32 AM

Delay was corrupt, arrogant and abused his power during his reign in Congress. He devised many different ways to amass money illegally to defeat the Democrats in Texas which is now totally Republican except for Austin. George Bush, Bush's brain, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etal should all be investigated for corruption.

Posted by: mstratas | November 25, 2010 9:34 AM

Can we convict him of being an *ssh*le, too?

Posted by: SubRosa2 | November 25, 2010 9:35 AM

They laundered money he should get life but then again so should Gingrich Clinton Rangel Waters Frank and Dodd. This money laundering goes on in both parties. But maybe if public servants were given life in prison for violating public trust this crap would stop. Don't give a damn what party you are in.

Posted by: joeortega4 | November 25, 2010 9:48 AM

Whatever the law is, that's what should have happened. Truthfully, the rich own the government anyway, and the Supreme Court is making it so that they can funnel millions into elections under the cover of groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. What Delay did reflects what our government has come to be. Run through shady politicians by corporate money and rich bailed-out CEOs with the corporate giving disguised.

Posted by: tinyjab40 | November 25, 2010 9:48 AM

Enjoy it miserable libbies, it's the best news you've had in months you pathetic losers.

2012 cannot come soon enough.

Posted by: DCer1 | November 25, 2010 10:13 AM

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the today's GOP strategy session where they're inventing the nut job conspiracy theory to feed the rubes and goobs on Friday. Beck and Limbaugh should be absolutely hilarious tomorrow.

Posted by: Miss_Fedelm | November 25, 2010 10:27 AM

Jmsmaxwell said:
a Republican can be found guilty on bogus
charges yet Democrats don't even get a
slap on the wrist if it ever goes to trial.
___________________________________________
Hey JMSMaxwell…..looks like you only recognize the American justice system as doing it’s job when only Republicans can get off.

You really need to get back to school and get a lesson in civics, cause you obviously slept through it the first time around, or is this some GOP sour grapes garbage that’s taught on faux news?

Posted by: richdj25 | November 25, 2010 10:34 AM

When I spoke with Tyrone at SuperMax to inform him that he would be getting a new cell mate with the nickname "Hammer" just after the first of the year... Tyrone was pleased !! He also chuckled about his nickname, then got real serious all of a sudden about Tommy's future...

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | November 25, 2010 10:35 AM

Speaking as a former Republican who left the party in 1994 when they began to elect the angry, vicious know-nothing garbage like this slimy roach-killer and his cohorts like Dick Armey, Newt Gingrich, and others, I am so GLAD this verdict was returned! We need two VIABLE parties in this country, not one playing with a full deck and another with making up the "facts" as they go along. Pretending that Evolution is a liberal conspiracy, global warming a myth created by librul scientists, and making laisse faire, absolutely no rules capitalism into a religion doesn't work for the long term good of the country... I look forward to the day in which the concept of reason and logic are returned to the platform of the Republican party, and that it replaces superstition, lies, and propaganda aimed at the dimmest among us.

Posted by: squirebass | November 25, 2010 10:38 AM

Sic Semper Gloria Mundi

Posted by: jim98851 | November 25, 2010 10:40 AM

Just lock up this dirtball and throw away the key.

Posted by: andym108 | November 25, 2010 10:44 AM

I wouldda perferred the thahd chice a' "No, I disagrees wit'the conviction 'cause they din't go fah'nuff." So I settles on th'best ansah an'jes' votes "Yes."

But like I sed befoh, I agrees t'term limits foh polititians 'cept when come ta prison terms.

Posted by: glenglish | November 25, 2010 10:51 AM

Although I was DELIGHTED to learn that DeLay was convicted, I continue to be offended that the Washington Post would offer up a poll of this nature in which it asks whether the reader "agrees with" the verdict. The question should be, "Were you pleased by the verdict?" Readers of the WaPo, who heard not one word of the evidence and saw not one of the documents presented at trial, have NO BASIS upon which to "agree with" or "disagree with" the verdict. To "agree with" the verdict is to say, "Yes, I think he should have been convicted." But NO reader who voted in this poll has any factual basis upon which to cast such a vote. Likewise for those who said they do not "agree with" the verdict. Those who said they "agree with" the verdict are really -- and only -- saying, "I'm glad that DeLay was convicted." Those who said they do not "agree with" the verdict are really -- and only -- saying, "I wish DeLay had not been convicted." The WaPo presents an affront to the criminal justice system and to the jury that labored so long with the case when it permits an inference that its readers are just as capable of knowing whether DeLay is guilty or not guilty as the jurors who heard and saw the evidence at trial.

Posted by: ripcord1965 | November 25, 2010 10:54 AM

In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz: Ha Ha!

Posted by: mikie44 | November 25, 2010 11:09 AM

Next up! Dick Armey and Phil Gramham for conspiresy to defraud. They wrote the law that let derivatives go unchecked.

Posted by: johnturkal1 | November 25, 2010 11:18 AM

Molly Ivins would be proud,, as am i...now lock the scumbag up!!!

Posted by: sanone38 | November 25, 2010 11:35 AM

Repeat: Democrat "missteps" do not compare to republican "high crimes"...

Posted by: mhazzard50 | November 25, 2010 11:45 AM

Its funny that the guy who said, he was the government, cries abuse of power when he is finally found guilty. No one abused his power more than Delay.

Posted by: rj2008 | November 25, 2010 11:48 AM

Get ready for your heads to explode libturds..
DeLay will win on appeal.
Reason: The Supreme Court decision passed down last summer, that the libturds despise (what's new they despise so much) ruled that Feingold bill as applied to corporate contributions was unconstitutional. A Supreme Court decision overrides state law. Anyway, DeLay can appeal on other grounds, but in the end he will be free.
Too bad libturds you will lose again in your attempts to destroy.

Posted by: susangate1 | November 25, 2010 12:07 PM

Agree to convictions where there is corruption. Now bring Rangel to justice in the court system.

Posted by: malafry | November 25, 2010 1:31 PM

Congratulations to the prosecutors for a job well done. I can only guess the difficulty of sifting to mountains of evidence to present a coherent case to the jury. The jurors did their job too as demonstrated by the fact that they carefully reviewed all the evidence over several days of hard work.
A great day for Texas and the USA.
Justice was served.

Posted by: giron1961 | November 25, 2010 1:41 PM

You pose the question "Do you agree with the conviction of ex-House Majority Leader Tom DeLay for money laundering?"

But neither I nor, I dare say, a single one of the respondents was present in the courtroom to see the evidence. For any of us to agree or disagree with the verdict is incredibly presumptuous. To ask the question is to ask whether the respondents believe in the American jury system.

Posted by: sage5 | November 25, 2010 1:54 PM

Dear Tommy,
Look at the bright side: you will now be able to serve the public interest as the resident expert of pest & vermin control in the nation's federal prisons, a position you are exceedingly qualified given your years of experience working with rats and cockroaches during your public and private career: and just think of all the spare time you will have polishing your dance steps with all the willing partners you will meet at your new digs.
Sometime in the future I predict we will see your smiling face beaming out at us from our TVs telling the world, "Watch out 'Dancing With the Stars' Tom Delay is back!"
We quiver with anticipation at the thought.
In the meantime, Tommy, sweety-pie, RIP.

Posted by: apspa1 | November 25, 2010 2:01 PM

JustUs will NOT be SERVED! They are now scuffling and shuffling behind closed doors. They are already talking about giving this man probabtion.

Posted by: matrox | November 25, 2010 2:31 PM

This unethical, lying and deceitful excuse for a human being finally got his due. He is just one of many corrupt and integrity lacking members of the GOP. It's only a matter of time before the jails are full of Republicans. It's about time that US citizens see that the GOP will do ANYTHING to get elected.

Posted by: edanddot | November 25, 2010 2:34 PM

delay used his illegal money to buy the first republicon legislature in TExas since reconstruction. That republicon legilsature went back to redraw the congressional district maps AFTER the process had been legally finished two years earlier. Those maps shifted a total of 5 seats to republicons, but would have done more if the maps themselves were not declared unConstitutional, and thus some portions had to be redrawn. That 5 seats was enough for republicons to retain the House and do untold damage to the US.

SO... delay got illegal money. Used it to illegally redraw district maps. Those maps led to a repoublicon congressand thus to death and misery for untold thousands if not millions, in the US and around the globe. THAT is what the sentencing judge should be thinking about.

delay is the tip of the icesberg. The way republicons are avoiding more tom delays is that the amazingly activist conservative 5 member majority on the Supreme Court made it so that coporations no longer need to use middle men like delay, they can go right to the source to purchase the congress of their liking.

Posted by: John1263 | November 25, 2010 2:46 PM

Give him life plus 100 without parole in SuperMax solitary.

Then we can all be a little safer.

Posted by: madstork123 | November 25, 2010 2:53 PM

Let's see. Do I agree with the verdict? Well, seeing as I did not attend the trail and read next to nothing about it, I wouldn't know. Do you think many people voted knew the all the evidence in detail?

Posted by: dcc1968 | November 25, 2010 3:23 PM

Yes, and he should get the max.

Posted by: toiletminded | November 25, 2010 3:35 PM

Justice received.

His best argument is that "Well, that $190K we got back in exchange for the corporate $190K is NOT the same $190K....that $190K was money from individual donors." REALLLLY?

Can we add a charge of contempt of voter intelligence?
What an insultingly stupid claim!

Posted by: Yarbroughz | November 25, 2010 4:28 PM

I'm curious to know what journalistic and/or societal end is served by asking an uninformed public, after the fact, if they agree or disagree with a properly rendered verdict? WHO CARES WHAT WE ANONYMOUS BLOWHARDS THINK? We weren't on the jury!

Posted by: MRYY | November 25, 2010 5:15 PM

I'd really like to see a poll of those who believe he should go to jail or get probation.
(He should do prison time, but won't is my guess.)

Posted by: bgreen2224 | November 26, 2010 10:31 AM

Isn't it awful that Texas has a death penalty? This is such schadenfreude. Love it.

Posted by: trl618 | November 26, 2010 1:19 PM

Fearless predictions:
- After vacating his convictions the appeals court will lay palm leaves at his feet and anoint his head with oil
- the Texas legislature will void the laws under which he was convicted, pass a resolution apologizing to him for the inconvenience, and pay all of his legal bills

Posted by: raschumacher | November 26, 2010 6:03 PM

While it is doubtful he will do time, he obviously should. Another example of american "justice."

Posted by: greeenmtns | November 26, 2010 7:51 PM

Now that Jack Abramoff is through with his jail time, he's working at a pizza place. There must be a provision that prohibits him from writing a book. Too bad because I'm sure Tom DeLay would be mentioned at least once or twice.

Tom DeLay should have been a dancing instructor. He would have overcharged his clients, re-districted the discos in the area, and been in charge of designing white patent leather dance shoes, and that would have been the extent of his damage.

Same goes for the current corrupt majority leader for the Republicans, only we'd be better off if he were a caddy.

Posted by: jakrdy | November 27, 2010 11:21 PM

Delay was one of the most corrupt political figures in DC history, and that's saying something!

He wasn't just feathering his nest like Stevens or Jefferson. He was telling US corporations to give money to Texas Republicans so that Texas could redistrict early and gerrymander Delay more Republican Congressmen from Texas. He was selling Federal favors to manipulate state politics all for his own personal power base. He was defrauding voters with no concern for the law or the long-range precedence of his actions.

Posted by: AxelDC | November 29, 2010 12:53 PM