Do you know how much data you are using on your cellphone?

Cell phone bills are about to get more complicated as providers are moving away from unlimited data plans. And for smartphone users who can sometimes voraciously eat up data browsing the web and streaming video on their phones, this might mean a more complicated cellphone bill each month as users try to gauge their consumption in addition to new add-ons.

By Ryan Kellett  |  November 29, 2010; 5:08 PM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you think Cyber Monday deals have been better than last year's? | Next: Have you ever purchased counterfeit goods?

Comments

One of the answers should have been none. Many use a cell phone for what it is, a phone and could care less about anything else.

Posted by: gmclain | November 30, 2010 12:16 AM

Another answer choice missing: "I don't use a cellphone". Because many don't use or want a cellphone. I don't use one.

Posted by: clairevb | November 30, 2010 10:25 AM

I laugh at those who stream video to a tiny 2" screen!

I have an unlimited plan, but don't use it for much more than e-mail. If I want to watch something, I want to be able to see it.

Posted by: FredEvil | November 30, 2010 10:38 AM

I have software on my smartphone that tracks how much data I'm using. I'm on an unlimited data plan with Verizon - the current tiered data plans make NO sense, no one with a smartphone will use 150MB or less.
I'm tracking data usage so that when tiered data plans are the norm, I know what plan to select.

Posted by: nmc2 | November 30, 2010 6:34 PM

The only reason I know on my new smartphone (with a non-proportional rate plan of $15 for 200 mb or $25 for 2 gb) is because I chose to monitor it on the cheaper plan. It using data in ways neither I nor my provider could explain since I was home on wifi, sometimes asleep. I only solved it by downloading an app that globally lets me turn data usage on or off. I suspect the data usage was the bloatware that came with the phone and can't be removed.

Posted by: washingtonpostviewer | November 30, 2010 6:45 PM

I clicked "under 200 MB a month,"but as others have said, there should have been a choice of "None." But in truth, I rarely use my cell phone for anything. I carry it on the off chance of getting a signal if I need help. I use it mostly for a camera when I don't have my "real" camera with me. The cell camera is lacking, but it is lighter than my "real" camera. And it works when I see turkeys or moose unexpectedly.

Posted by: retiredteacher1 | November 30, 2010 6:51 PM