Do you support a federal pay freeze?

Bowing to Republican political pressure and growing budget concerns, President Obama will announce a two-year pay freeze for civilian federal workers Monday, according to administration sources.

If you are a federal worker, please take this poll:

If you are not a federal worker, please take this poll:

By Andrea Caumont  |  November 29, 2010; 11:22 AM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Are bedbug lawsuits legitimate? | Next: Do you think Cyber Monday deals have been better than last year's?

Comments

You cannot balance the budget on the back of federal workers who make less than their peers in the private sector while at the same time, continuing to permit hedge fund managers to pay only 15% in federal income taxes. This is ridiculous.

Posted by: fmjk | November 29, 2010 11:58 AM

Savings from this: $50 billion
Cost of Bush tax cuts $4 trillion

Where is he going to get the other $3.95 trillion to pay for extending tax giveaways to the rich while cutting essential public services?

All this does is tell the best Federal workers to find jobs elsewhere in the US or abroad, and less the mediocrity who can't find better work to run the govt. How better to prove that govt doesn't work than by ticking of its staff?

Posted by: AxelDC | November 29, 2010 12:06 PM

While they tout these alleged savings, they fail to realize that they are in fact removing billions of dollars from a fragile economy.

I am a longtime Democrat, but I strongly disapprove of this proposal. It is actually sad that we have reached this point...the government has finally decided to follow the lead of the private sector in purposely driving down wages of American workers. The rate at which we are outsourcing jobs, and freezing wages is unsustainable. This is not the answer...

Posted by: rwbaccus | November 29, 2010 12:07 PM

can he freeze inflation too????

Posted by: rwbaccus | November 29, 2010 12:08 PM

So...President Obama is caving in to the rightards with this stunt. Am usually a big time supporter and think he done a remarkable job thus far. But this is just silly. The lawsuits alone will concume huge sums because freezing pay mid contract is not legal.

All that aside - this is a conservative idea - keep tax breaks worth 10 times any savings and put even more burden on the working people to help pay for a little bit of the largess going to those already so filthy rich they can't find enough things to spend their ill-gotten lucre on.

A very sad day for the president and the country.

Posted by: John1263 | November 29, 2010 12:10 PM

The economy needs MORE money on the consumer side, not less money. This is a fundamental mistake just as the earlier failure to feed the economy from the consumer side was a mistake.

Posted by: mycroftt | November 29, 2010 12:21 PM

Why penalize the middle class? The nation's debt was not caused by them?

Posted by: kms123 | November 29, 2010 12:22 PM

I'm not getting a Social Security cost of living adjustment this year. If the economy doesn't warrant a cost of living increase for retirees, why do the federal workers need a raise?

Posted by: BobinPA1 | November 29, 2010 12:23 PM

Certainly understand the theory, but some of those federal workers have to carry a gun and a badge. Would hate to see them completely freeze the pay of someone who works to keep us all safe.

Posted by: semperfi2 | November 29, 2010 12:34 PM

What a joke... My federal health insurance premiums are set to rise next year and the spineless weakling in the White House is going to freeze our salaries?? Genius. By the way tea party morons, federal employees PAY for their health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and retirement. We also pay into Social Security like everyone else! And, I'm a veteran.

Posted by: dcliving | November 29, 2010 12:35 PM

So to put this in perspective, as a federal employee working overseas for my country in a war zone, I, like all others will not be getting a pay raise for two years and yet American Contractors working overseas, whether in a war zone or not, will continue to receive not only the tax benefits, i.e, not required to pay federal taxes on the first $85,000 per year but also, for those in a war zone, are receiving free room and board and other benefits at the tax payers expense. Make no mistake, I, like most in the government did not join the government ranks to make money and I don't begrudge those that do, but if all Americans are being asked to sacrifice, I say it's time for these contractors to sacrifice as well. I pay taxes on every penny I make, so should they. How could that possibly be wrong?

Posted by: Pulser | November 29, 2010 12:38 PM

Does that include a freeze on Congressional salaries? Doubt that!! They're probably going to vote themselves a nice increase and find some way that the taxpayers pay a greater proportion of their health and retirement benefits!!! Oh no!!! A government run health care system for members of Congress? Better not let Rush Limbaugh hear of this.

Posted by: shemtof | November 29, 2010 12:40 PM

Its time Americans took to the streets like the "cowardly" French and stop taking it up the rear. The war on the middle class has to end now.

The greedy rich are driving us off a cliff and will escape in their luxury yachts to dubai when we are broke financing their tax cuts and corporate bailouts.

Posted by: sbhaskar002 | November 29, 2010 12:41 PM

I think they should have also extended the freez to all Congressional wages, their staffers, the Federal court and workers as well as post office emplyees.

The Commonwealth of Virginia has frozen wages since 2007 and anticipates holding that two more years. A one time 3% bonus on December 1 won't make up any of that and by the time they restore any salary increases they will be so far behind they will never catch up. Some municpalities have had furloughs for several years and some states have required pay cuts.
If you are a federal worker and don't like it, try working for another government or better yet - give the private sector a shot. Or just join the "at least I have a job club".

Posted by: grobinette | November 29, 2010 12:42 PM

Freeze? It would be better for the entire country to have a 10-15% reduction in federal and state pay, across the board. That is a slice of reality and a sharing in the load that all non gov't sectors are feeling. Federal worker should put their shoulder to plow, gladly. Then we as a people and country will all move ahead once we loosen the grip of the public sector.

Posted by: ontheoregoncoast | November 29, 2010 12:45 PM

EVERY sector of the economy has taken a hit except the Federal government, which is spending more on payroll than ever before. I think the answer is obvious.

Posted by: doug7772 | November 29, 2010 12:46 PM

The same day that our president freezes federal pay, the democrats in congress want to extend the tax cuts of people making over 250K. So I take a hit so some millionare doesn't have to pay taxes, that sounds real fair to me.

Posted by: AndyR3 | November 29, 2010 12:48 PM

Everyone I know who is still employed has had their pay frozen for 2 years (obviously I don't work on Wall Street). I don't see why federal employees should be exempt from this trend. I would also like to see the Bush tax cuts eradicated for that would be a much bigger step toward bringing the budget back to the age of Clinton.

Posted by: Ladyrantsalot | November 29, 2010 12:49 PM

The only group of people that have benefited from the policies of this administration are the unions.

Posted by: shewholives | November 29, 2010 12:50 PM

I thought the economy was slowly getting better. I'm not opposed to a freeze on the ECI, but I don't like that we're doing this for two years at a time. Besides, the savings are token - this is not really going to save the Fed budget. Of course, I don't expect to see real leadership from Congress on this issue either.

Posted by: JOKR715 | November 29, 2010 12:50 PM

If federal workers are REALLY upset about their pay freeze, they can always quit their jobs and get work in the private sector.... Why should the rest of us support you better than ourselves?

Posted by: tbrucia | November 29, 2010 12:51 PM

TO FMJLK:

You are so wrong! Federal employees make on average twice what people in the private sector make (salary + benefit for federal employee on average is about $120,000, which is twice for someone in the private sector $60,000).
Don't ask me for the evidence; he can easily google it.
Second, some people think this comparison is invalid based on some unproven reasoning that federal employees are on average more educated. Show me the data; until then I don't believe it.

Posted by: bluebellknoll | November 29, 2010 12:52 PM

Posted by: jckdoors | November 29, 2010 12:52 PM

Obama has been saying for months how the economy is getting better.

So what's this?

We elected a Democrat to increase the size of government and we expect higher than normal pay raises. We aren't part of the decaying parts of the economy and shouldn't have to suffer. Besides, the economy is getting much better. We've been told so.

Posted by: llrllr | November 29, 2010 12:56 PM

Bluebellknoll wrote:

"Don't ask me for the evidence; he can easily google it."

Translation: Don't ask me for the evidence. I just made it up.

Posted by: chaos1 | November 29, 2010 12:56 PM

So many years ago when the economy was good and I was a contractor in a large Federal institution, the refrain was always, you guys in the private sector have it soooo good, I can't wait get out and get over there. OK guys,now that your pay is frozen, what's holding you up?

Posted by: slim21 | November 29, 2010 12:57 PM

Oh sure, what we need are really poorly paid federal workers, and ones who know they will recieve no bonsuses for excellence on the job.

That's the way to improve the functioning of our government, . . . in a pig's eye it is!

Posted by: vanmeter1 | November 29, 2010 1:11 PM

If the gov't puts a freeze on it's workers while extending the tax cuts to the wealthy, they better be prepared to what's coming to them. Way to vote for those republicans, america, now you shall suffer the consequences.

Posted by: rryan007 | November 29, 2010 1:12 PM

I say congress should freeze the pay of the private sector and give a boost to private employers. Let the private sector see how they like it.

Posted by: vidusa | November 29, 2010 1:13 PM

IF and a big IF it is freezing salaries to help bring down the deficit, then how about freezing those health care premiums also. They go up every year and next year will be no different. You can't balance the budget on the backs of an individual group unless you can assure them that they will not lose any of their current income to those annual living increases that the Government seems to want us to believe they can't do anything about. If there is any sacrificing to be made then let those sacrifices include every facet of our everyday lives. Freeze the cost of everything!!! and let's hear some more wailing.

Posted by: renaw9 | November 29, 2010 1:15 PM

Forget a freeze, ROLL BACK their salaries and benefits! Public employees make double or more of what a private sector worker, doing the same job, can expect. Likewise, fire, immediately, any non-US citizen holding any government job. There are lots of them, about 10% of the work force, and those jobs need to go to our citizens, not some foreign "guest worker".

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 29, 2010 1:25 PM

Wages are falling behind cost of living in this country. Workers can only afford discretionary spending at sale discount prices. I ask you; when have you paid full price for anything lately?

They stopped CSRS because people were living long enough to spend their retirement income. Now they want to freeze wages. What's next COLA?

Posted by: ward7 | November 29, 2010 1:25 PM

Show me the data; until then I don't believe it.
Posted by: bluebellkno

Go to www.politifact.org for the information on debunking the alleged $120,000 average federal salary. As a GS-09, I'm sure not making that much, and never will. But then, I'm not in the job because of the money - I'm in it because I love the work I do, the people I work with, and the sense of making a difference in the world. Oh, And rI'm a Vet too, (20 years, Air Force), so I know what it's like to have to go without a pay raise year after year while the price of housing, food, energy, etc., keeps going up.

Posted by: dstreet208 | November 29, 2010 1:26 PM

The Republicans have created the notion that individuals who work for the Federal Government, are "second class" and could not succeed in the private sector. Shame on President Obama for strengthening this notion by imposing this salary freeze. At a time when we should be encouraging young people to a life of public service by offering attractive salaries, we are now making public service less attractive. Rather than decrease the ranks of those willing to serve, and demoralizing those who are serving today, we should be tackling the tougher issues like ending the Bush tax cuts and fixing entitlement programs and stope trying to nickle and dime our way out of a situation that requires trillions to solve.

Posted by: btmathews | November 29, 2010 1:29 PM

During the 90's and early 2000's, everybody asked, "why don't you go to the private sector and earn more?" I would reply, "I feel that at least one person in a household should hold a stable job, just in case something should happen even if it means taking lower pay." So when things were good, I was cautious. Forsaking good paying jobs for stability. Now, when things are on the down, stability looks good for the private sector. Why didn't they take Federal jobs before? Because, before the pay stunk compared to the higher pay and greater satisfaction from private sector jobs. Now, when the crap hit the fan, the private sector is envious of the federal government job stability. I feel things are just evening out somewhat. Lower pay now for stability in the bad times. Its the stock market verse treasury bond issue. Do you take the risks (private sector) and reap potential profits, or do you play safe (government) and assume a steady flow of income even if it is rather pathetic at times? Why should I be punished for playing it safe with my life choices and taking a job with lower pay/lower risk? Why don't we on the same token take back 50% of the value of treasury bonds because the stock market fell by 50%. Everyone to their own.

Do you want to cut government spending, slash defence by 50% (30% of the budget verse 15% constitutes discretionary spending). Get the hell out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Germany, Korea, Japan, Phillipines, etc. Bring the boys home. Who really cares about goat hurders. Also, why should we subsidize the military of advanced economies. And, is the Soviet Union really a threat? See it as you like, the military-industrial complex is a strong supporter for Republicans (and some democrats) that spend billions on lobbying and donations to insure that we spend trillions on defence. Bring the boys home and lets worry about putting foods on our tables.

Posted by: vidusa | November 29, 2010 1:30 PM

I work in the private sector and we haven't seen big raises in a while either. We get modest increases that barely cover the increases in medical insurance, at least for the last two years. Why should the federal workers suffer because of what is really a political problem? I think the Democrats have forgotten what progressive means. If they want to be Republicans then change parties, otherwise use the clout you have while you have it and fix this!

Posted by: rmtaylor2 | November 29, 2010 1:34 PM

as of 1:30pm, 33% more responded under the "Federal worker" than "not Federal worker." Shouldn't you be working?

BTW - Washington Post polls are blocked by my company. I can only view them from my personal connection on my lunch break.

Posted by: Windknot1 | November 29, 2010 1:34 PM

My cousin was complaining about a pay freeze to me, I laughed at him and said why not try unemployment for 3 months and tell me which costs more.

I was out of work for 3 months at the start of the recession and I can tell you my pay raise was much smaller than missing 1/4 of pay for the year.

Fed workers need to realize they have it good because they never go out of work for months at a time and that is more costly than no pay raise.

Posted by: flonzy1 | November 29, 2010 1:38 PM

All you have to do is ride the Maryland MARC train to know that Federal workers are over paid and really don't work nearly as hard as those of us in the private sector. They think they do, but they really have no idea what is expected of an employee outside their great schedule, great benefit, great salary world.

Posted by: Alangc2 | November 29, 2010 1:39 PM

As a federal retiree, I think the is grandstanding on the federal workers backs. He needs to address the critical problems of jobs and fast. He needs to make it very uncomfortable for businesses and manufacturers to take their businesses out of the United States and give incentives for them to return to the U.S. We need to bring the jobs back here. Outsourcing of jobs has killed the American worker. Let him pass a law like Sweden did. They told any existing company who takes their factories out of Sweden must pay the workers 80% of their existing salary for the rest of their lives unless the worker finds another job at the same salary.

Posted by: Dipsy1 | November 29, 2010 1:41 PM

"Citing deficit, Obama freezing federal worker pay"

A typically pusillanimous, insufficient effort by the lacking-a-pair lunatic-left socialist-in-charge. A REAL leader would mandate that the bloated federal government employment levels - and salaries - be set back to year 2005, with NO increases in salaries or benefits until there is PARITY with private sector salaries and benefits, then annual increases no greater than those of the private sector. Furthermore, any government bureaucrat that owes the government for unpaid taxes (over $1 BILLION is now owed by these reprobates) should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

...but real improvements and meaningful, effective actions will have to wait for Jan 2013 when our new president takes office. She'll do the job that the effete d-crat socialists can't.

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | November 29, 2010 1:47 PM

I would be more apt to support it the tax rates on the rich were repealed. But if your not going to require the rich to pay a fair share then how do you justify cutting others wages?

Posted by: hmrc1 | November 29, 2010 1:49 PM

well, you would expect the whining from a paper from the Federal City. Yes, the savings is a drop in the bucket, but you have to start somewhere. And the private sector wages have been stagnant for years - why should govt get all the raises while the workers suffer?

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | November 29, 2010 1:50 PM

So much for not putting the budget on the backs of the middle class.
If the federal workers get a pay freez, then SS recipients, welfare recipients, unemployment recipients, and anyone else who receives federal money should get a freeze, too. Including cities and states, schools, universities, hospitals, politicians and on and on.
It's only fair if EVERYONE has to take a cut/freeze.

Posted by: r_leever | November 29, 2010 1:53 PM

Those Federal employees with advanced degrees will find other jobs, those without have no choice but stay, particularly those senior or mid-level employees with no degree at all. It is a good opportunity to see how many highly qualified government workers will actually find better paying jobs outside...

And how many the private sector actually won't hire after looking at their resume.

Posted by: wmboyd | November 29, 2010 1:57 PM

Without pay increases on any level a person cannot keep-up with the cost of living, therefore the economy will go into a greater slump. It is a misconception to believe the cost of daily living is under control. A plan to control the economy must be put in place, in order to maintain a decent standard of living. Being there are so many green members in congress at this time, learning the ropes of government, this is alarming. I foresee the Repub sense of spending less is going to create a greater sink hole. After all what is money, it is to be more valuable than a person. When I hear one speak in reference to the deficit their grand children will have to pay, these children may be to malnourished to participate.

Posted by: alwaysAlabama | November 29, 2010 2:00 PM

I would take a two year pay freeze for the job security of a federal job. A pay freeze cost me maybe $2k being out of work for 3 months in the recession coat me almost $20k in earnings.

Almost everyone I know was out of work for a short time in the recession and we have no sympathy for the feds who never lose a job getting a minor pay freeze.

Posted by: flonzy1 | November 29, 2010 2:01 PM

The good feds will move on to private sector jobs for more money, while the less competent feds will hang in there and outwait all the noise of congress and the white house. The freeze solves nothing, and ultimately will make government even less able to deliver services.

Posted by: DontGetIt | November 29, 2010 2:16 PM

How about a 25% pay CUT for the lazy, overpaid, do nothing FEDS!

Posted by: Drudge1 | November 29, 2010 2:18 PM

This is so transparent: exempt are congressional staff? Hmmmm...what are the odds it passes now??

Everyone should be in the same boat: not just those in the Executive Branch. If you want to freeze salaries, make those folks that will vote for it experience the same fate. No exceptions.

Posted by: dnara | November 29, 2010 2:20 PM

WindPasser1 - thanks for counting, wingnut!!!

Posted by: DontGetIt | November 29, 2010 2:20 PM

First, freeze congressional pay and make them pay for their own health insurance. Once they are under control, you can then start on the salaries of those who actually are doing the work for the Feds.

Posted by: katesgram | November 29, 2010 2:22 PM

If the "freeze" included military pay, then it could be justified as a reasonable economics-based decision. Since military pay is exempted, then Obamba's proposal is without justification, except for cold-hearted political calculations.

Posted by: wscandje | November 29, 2010 2:26 PM

TeaPartyPatriot (1:47 PM), if you think that numnutz Sarah Palin will ever become President of this country, then you're even more delusional than you are stupid, which is really saying something.

Unless of course by "she" you were referring to Hillary Clinton, which I'm kind of doubting...

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 2:28 PM

Alangc2 1:39 PM said: "All you have to do is ride the Maryland MARC train to know that Federal workers are over paid and really don't work nearly as hard as those of us in the private sector."

Wow, you can tell all that just from riding a train?!? You must be an amazing genius, I'm sure the Palin campaign could find a place for you.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 2:33 PM

silencedogoodreturns 1:50 PM said: "private sector wages have been stagnant for years - why should govt get all the raises while the workers suffer?"

OK, see if you can follow along here. You might remember all those glory years for the private sector when stocks were booming and all that? Back then, private sector workers were often getting 5%, 10%, 15% raises, while gov't workers plodded along at 3%/4% or whatnot. Where were you crying about equality back then?

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 2:39 PM

Of course I do! Great decision President!! The Federal government waste money on programs such as Hamilton Fellows (college grads - entry level - no experience, but a degree) and start off making 50 grand?!?! I mean, they come in asking questions re excel, work, outlook; but yet 50 grand for not figuring out the above? Again, great job, Prez...good looking out!!!

Posted by: 0126 | November 29, 2010 2:44 PM

I have commented on this topic before. First -- True Government Workers are NOT overpaid. They are at work 42.5 hours a week (lunch is only 1/2 hour a day) and most I know work through lunch.
Second -- True Gov Workers most enter the role in start levels. Raises ? ah on average over the last 20 years or so something like 3% -- no bonuses and few if any awards.
Third -- They change and move up on the Grade scale with YEARS of service and experience.
The problem of cost -- Well Political Appointees and Policical Nomininations are that. They enter at the TOP Levels and earn the big $$ with no years of experience or knowledge of the Mission of the agency they control and run.
Final -- Get rid of them and SAVE big $$$$

Posted by: dragonrose10 | November 29, 2010 2:47 PM

I know three people who work for different departments in the Federal Government. Two of them complain about the lack of organization and work. The third brags about how she gets paid to travel around the country/world to work for half a day and spends the rest vacationing. All three are paid over 90K a year. They all have bachelors degrees in nothing specific while I have a masters and make over 30K less. I work for a local govt where salary increases have been stopped for the past two years. Its about time the Federal Govt did something to rain in the rediculous spending and salaries of its employees.

Posted by: FairfaxKris | November 29, 2010 2:52 PM

Look being a federal worker (also a Reservist in the Air Force) it is hard to take a pay freeze but, if you are going to freeze the pay of federal workers then it is time to draw a hard line with everything. Freeze the pay for Congress, the President, and yes, freeze the pay for the US Military at the same time(everyone must feel the cuts across the board). Heck, let the federal government freeze the pay of our contractors (I guess most people don't know that pay raises for the contractors working for the federal government are decided by the Dept of Labor. So now I'm going to freeze the pay of the federal government but, not freeze the pay of the contractors working for the federal government (that is right make everyone feel the tightening of the belt. Okay so you freeze federal hiring. All agencies (except social security, medicare) must take a 5% budget cut (yes, I have also included DOD in this equation). Everyone must feel the cuts. DOD has expanded it's budget due to the wars but, there are areas that they can cut which would reduce their budget by 5%. So now that I have cut the federal budget across the board by 5%, now I must raise taxes. Let the Bush tax cuts expire. Heck, the US had a balanced budget before these tax cuts were enacted for the rich so let them expire across the board. Limit the Mortgage Interest Deduction to $750,000.00 or less homes. You can take the interest deduction up to that amount. Raise the taxes on social security withholding from employees. Currently Social Security deductions stop at $106,800.00 in salary. Change the rates currently it is 6.2% up to that amount. Leave the 6.2% in place up to $100,000.00 then lower the rate to 3.1% up to $300,000.00 and then lower the rate to 1% up to 1 million dollars. The social security benefits would be capped at $125,000.00 so no matter what kind of salary you made above this amount you benefits would be capped at that amount. Apply an additional 20 cent a gallon tax on gas (not on diesel). 10 cents from that tax would be used to pay for the costs of these two wars until they are finished and the troops are back home.

Posted by: michael1963 | November 29, 2010 2:56 PM

Worth repeating:

Posted by: AHappyWarrior | November 29, 2010 2:57 PM

A 10% across the board salary cut would also be a nice touch for most of these feather merchants

Posted by: GordonShumway | November 29, 2010 3:11 PM

Obama only goes after people who can't fight back.

COWARD.

Posted by: solsticebelle | November 29, 2010 3:14 PM

DontTHINKIt - clearly critical thinking and data analysis are not part of your tool kit. Don't you find it curious that the Post would have separate polls for Fed and Non-Fed workers?

The simple explanation would be to determine if the Federal worker's outlook coincides with everybody else. The number of respondent is also a data point for analysis. Though the premise of the poll and designed are clearly flawed, it is the only data available in the forum.

Don't worry your pretty little head. We'll let other "wingnuts" use logic and objective analysis to crunch the numbers for you.

Posted by: Windknot1 | November 29, 2010 3:19 PM

This uproar is hilarious. How is this a burden to the federal employees? How are we putting the burden of our savings on their back? Federal employees are not alone in the freeze... maybe in the expectation of a raise..

I am twenty-something, work in the private sector and have never received a raise. I've been lucky just to keep my jobs over the last few years. A freeze takes nothing away unless you have already assumed you will receive more. But if these workers would prefer to let the tax cuts expire, because that will help the economy more and not burden them, please, let's do it. They'll be whining soon about how suddenly their raises don't matter because their taxes skyrocketed.

Posted by: duckiedreamer | November 29, 2010 3:27 PM

So, FairfaxKris (2:52 PM) and all you other genius complainers...
What exactly is stopping you from coming over to work for the fed gov't? I mean, we make twice as much money as we should, we rarely do any work, it's pretty much a non-stop party, we can't be fired, our benefits are great... since you're so super intelligent, shouldn't you have joined us by now and cashed in on the easy life? What's the holdup??

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 3:31 PM

duckiedreamer 3:27 PM said: "If these workers would prefer to let the tax cuts expire, because that will help the economy more and not burden them, please, let's do it. They'll be whining soon about how suddenly their raises don't matter because their taxes skyrocketed."

Only like 2% of Americans would be whining, that would be the filthy-rich pigs who own this country. The regular 98% of us would be saying thank you. But don't worry, the filthy-rich pigs would never let it happen.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 3:36 PM

Sure, the average federal wage is higher than the average private-sector wage. And for good reason: the federal government doesn't operate thousands of restaurants and retail shops. Food service and retail jobs are nortoriously low paid and usually without benefits. All the employment (millions of employees) in the fast food restaurants and convenience stores in the private sector brings down the average wages for the private sector.

To get an idea of how many people work in private-sector food and retail, see http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2010/ted_20100803.htm

If you're going to compare pay in the private-sector and federal government, at least compare jobs that are somewhat similar. It makes no sense to compare the government workforce to the private sector workforce which is predominantly retail and food service.

Compare like to like: say, accountants in the private sector and accounts in government ... and lawyers in the private sector and lawyers in government, or at least jobs requiring a 4-year degree, etc.

Posted by: ocouha | November 29, 2010 3:46 PM

Posted by: Bryantown | November 29, 2010 3:50 PM

Does NOT freeze in-grade steps most fed workers receive each year, and are significant pay increases (see http://www.fedjobs.com/pay/pay.html ), does not impact bonuses AKA Merit Pay, again significant.

So much of this is just (as usual) Smoke and Mirrors by politicians and bureaucrats.

They need to cut the federal (and state-local) work force in numbers; they need to cut pay; they need to cut over generous benefits.

This also needs to carry over to Congress, congressional staff.

Next up needs to be scaling back contracts going to "Non-Profits" and connected general contractors, all of which are very political and harming the country.

And remember, all these people are being paid with 'Funny Money' that is either borrowed or printed (think QE2).

Posted by: JuicyJuice | November 29, 2010 3:55 PM

Posted by: ontheoregoncoast | November 29, 2010 12:45 PM
###########################################

Honestly, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. "Fire government workers because the economy is doing bad. I lost my job, so they should lose theirs too!!!" That's stupidity of the highest order. Fire a bunch of federal workers, who will then be on unemployment, who will then be competing against you for a job. And they'll have the upper hand because they've been working for the last 2 years while you've been at home posting stuff on the internet (all while getting unemployment). We need less unemployed, not more. I don't give a damn where they have a job, but they need a job. In the past, no one wanted to work for the government, now that the economy has tanked, people want others to lose thier jobs just because "we're all in this together"? Give me a break. You lost your job, so you want others to lose their jobs too, that's basically what you're saying. And if you're not working, you're certainly not paying any taxes, so save the "I'm a taxpayer" speech.

Posted by: nsu1203 | November 29, 2010 3:57 PM

My wife works for the government, and the biggest objection I have is that across the board wage freezes sound good, but are nearly always a bad idea.

So areas in the government are loosing people, some have too many. If you are not a child, you realize that some functions of government are vital, and have to be staffed. In addition, a huge percentage of government workers are nearing retirement, and have to replaced. Freezing all wages will hurt our ability to govern and raise costs. President Obama usually does not resort to moronic sound bite governing, but he failed us here.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | November 29, 2010 3:57 PM

It's great how our government has pitted us against ourselves in a perpetual state of animosity and competition that apparently blinds us from the real issues.

First it's us vs rich people then it's us vs federal workers and it never ends.

People are arguing over a pay freeze for other people that will NOT even make a dent in the budget. None. It will have no positive effect whatsoever.

Federal workers are being placed on a stake as a ceremonial sacrifice by the same people who voted for the very things that caused our budget to be so far out of wack (and which didn't include anything to do with federal worker pay). It's being done to make everyone feel better but there's nothing to feel better about.

In the end, this is little more than Obama being sucked into this plan by the Republicans, who I can assure you will try to throw it right back in his face and use it as part of their negative ad campaigns come 2012.

Also, as someone who has worked in both private and public sectors, federal workers do NOT make double their private counterparts and the myth of our "fantastic" benefits making up the difference is ridiculous.

My benefits are directly comparable/equal to the benefits I had in the private sector in every way except:

I make about $25k less a year than my private counterpart.

I get a retirement plan that I can cash in when I'm 65.

$25k /year x 25 yrs (time to retire) = $625k

vs

$1500 /month x 25 yrs (time alive after retirement) = $450k

So save all that BS about fed workers making double their private counterparts.

That whole arguement was nothing but flim flam BS conjured up by someone attempting to hide and/or muddle the real issues with our budget.

Posted by: Deesko1 | November 29, 2010 4:06 PM

People need to stop with the myth of the "generous benefits." What benefits? I make barely over 51k and I pay 400 a month for health insurance, contribute 12 percent of my income to my retirement, and 800 a month to student loans...to the Department of Education, for an absolutely worthless law degree!!! Folks, it's not all you think that it is. This isn't 1960!!!

Posted by: nsu1203 | November 29, 2010 4:06 PM

Bryantown 3:50 PM said: "what whining! I ask kids getting out of high school what they want to do, and they say "get a gov't job". what does that tell you?"

That they believe the BS spouted by filthy-rich morons such as Rush Limbaugh?

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 4:14 PM

remember...
this is the obama goverment at work...
remember that next time you vote...

Posted by: DwightCollins | November 29, 2010 4:16 PM

JCKDOORS wrote:
"It's time for Federal workers to feel the same pain as everyone else. Stop whining, you have a job for life, unlike your layoff/fired prone brothers and sisters. The sense of entitlement is staggering."

Apparently you've never heard the term RIF reduction in force. Federal workers get layed off all the time. And they get fired.

Posted by: tim7 | November 29, 2010 4:33 PM

Uhm, I'm a Federal worker who was Riffed due to an office closing. When I was working, I made the same salary that I had made when I worked for a large DC non-profit, with the exception of the fact that I paid MORE for health insurance, got LESS paid time off, and worked LONGER hours (a 8-hour work day as opposed to 7-1/2). And when I worked the non-profit, I got an annual bonus in addition to my COLA, but no bonuses in the Federal government. I also got perks like being able to attend conferences in other cities when I worked for the non-profit, but not for the Federal government.

I think there is a lot of misplaced bitterness toward government employees, a "grass is always greener" attitude. It's not greener. I loved working for the government, and hope to find another government job, because I enjoyed the work ethic (yes, you heard that right -- compared to the DC non-profit which was full of some of the laziest employees I have ever encountered, Federal workers are quite productive and dedicated) and a service-oriented job.

But this pay freeze won't accomplish anything, but freezing the economy even more at a time of year when businesses depend on spending. And it won't stop the billions in Wall Street bonuses, courtesy of our tax money used to bail them out. And it won't stop the billions in Bush tax cuts for wealthiest Americans.

I am finally ready to admit it. I am a liberal Democrat, but I wish I had not voted for Obama. I won't make the same mistake twice. If the Republicans offer a moderate alternative instead of a whack job like Sarah Palin, they've got my vote in 2 years. It would be the first time I ever voted Republican in my life, but I cannot reelect this imbecile.

Posted by: CAC2 | November 29, 2010 4:53 PM

Note Many Government workers also that many have college degrees, many advanced degrees. Take the people at JPL or any of the government labs, they have more than BS on average and in high demand fields, so freezing their pay is a bad idea. As the banking industry recovers, its also a really bad idea to freeze the regulators pay.

Unemployment by education level.

No HS diploma --- 15.3 % - Great Depression Level
Some College --- 8.5 % - Bad
College Degree --- 4.7 % - Pretty Low

From another site, if you have graduate degree, Master's the rate of unemployment is 3.9%, 2.3 % for PhD

Anyone without a HS diploma who is under 50 sort of deserves what they are getting, and anyone who was able to attend college and did not get at least BS, also sowed their own failure.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | November 29, 2010 5:13 PM

I agree, Federal workers should also share the burden. The unemployment rate is 10%, under-employment is another 12%, so I recommend firing 10% of the federal work force (accross the board) so they feel what the unemployed private sector feels, and then 12% should be under employed, so they can feel what all the under-employed feel. Now, lets cut the remaining salaries by 5%, lets cut half of theirs medical benefits, and lets reduce their vacation earnings because that is what all the private sector businesses are doing. Lets go further, lets ship half of federal jobs to China. Couldn't the Chinese manage social security, veterans affairs, hell, lets the Chinese manage our State Department and Military. We can really get into savings with outsourcing Federal jobs. Now, we can all be happy. Everyone, private and federal is in a really stink ship called the "What was of" the USA.

I am hurting and life sucks, so let ruin the lives of the Federal worker. Was it the Federal worker who created this financial mess, who outsourced your jobs, who decided to reduce your benefits at work. If you want to stick it to someone, stick it to those who got us in this mess!

Posted by: vidusa | November 29, 2010 5:37 PM

Bryantown wrote: what whining! I ask kids getting out of high school what they want to do, and they say "get a gov't job". what does that tell you?
-------------------------
It tells me you're making things up. The only kids who work for the gov't out of high school are soldiers.

Posted by: shadow27 | November 29, 2010 6:04 PM

Who's going to count soybeans in northeastern Iowa?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | November 29, 2010 6:07 PM

I work for county government in northern virginia and we have had a pay freeze for the last 3 years. THis has enabled the county to save as many jobs as possible and kept us from having furlough days.

Posted by: cile92 | November 29, 2010 6:08 PM

How about going after benefits.

Posted by: moebius22 | November 29, 2010 6:49 PM

As a Federal worker, I welcome the chance to do a little part to help the economy. I feel fortunate to have a job in this fragile economy. I do, however, believe that the giveaways to the sector that caused this mess in the first place should pay their fair share.

Posted by: sobolasobola | November 29, 2010 6:59 PM

Posted by: jimrosejr | November 29, 2010 7:09 PM

jimrosejr 7:09 PM said: "I am a Fairfax County Public Schools employee and have been subject to a pay freeze for two years already. It's time for the feds to pay the piper."

I disagree -- it's time for the filthy rich to pay the piper. WAY past time, as a matter of fact.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | November 29, 2010 7:25 PM

phase 6: compel authorities to accept insult.

phase 7: violence.

Posted by: therapy | November 29, 2010 7:54 PM

I was in the USAF for 24 years and worked nearly five years at senior CS grades 13, 14, 15.

I have maintained for years, and still believe, that the Federal government could get rid of 25% (across the board) of their staffs and still get the job done.

Secondly, they MUST make the rules MUCH MORE FLEXIBLE to allow disciplining and terminating CS workers. I actually had three people who did essentially nothing, and I was met with roadblocks everywhere I went to get some action.

This type of conduct is not unusual.

Posted by: swanieaz | November 29, 2010 8:47 PM

Ok, I've worked in the private sector (telecom industry), as a federal IT contractor, and currently as a federal IT employee. This is the way my compensation broke down. Note, that I've always received exceptional ratings.

Private Sector:
Pay Increase - Average 10% increase annually, based on performance.
Bonus - 7-10% annually, based on a combination of factors, including team and company performance. Plus stock options.

Government Contractor:
Pay Increase - Approx 7% increase annually performance based.
Bonuse - None. No stock options.

Federal Employee:
Pay Increase - Average approx 4% increase annually for DC locality (approx 2% of which was for the regular pay adjustment). Not peformance based.
Bonus - One year, received about another 2.5% Quality Step Increase (QSI) for exceptional performance. Usually receive a small bonus for exceptional performance instead, i.e. less than 1% of pay.

In my experience the only real difference in medical benefits with the Federal Governmnent has been that I have the option of purchasing long term care insurance with a steep premium - which I do, and I'm able to change health insurance companies once a year. The cost of the insurance varies wildly from plan to plan.

Other benefits - I do receive more vacation time, but it's partly due to my veteran status. In the long run though, federal vacation days are more than private sector employees with similar longevity. We also have more sick days, BUT this is in lieu of short term and long term disability.

So, in the end, the federal salary increases in my experience have been significantly less than the private sector, and at least in my IT specialty area I do make considerably less than my private sector counterparts. I know this because I took a substantial pay cut to work for the government AND I monitor the salary data for my profession in my geographic location. This is partly offset by additional vacation days.

I think you really have to look at the pay disparaties sector by sector and location by location, because the government workforce is very diverse. Utltimately, I don't think a two year freeze is a big deal, given the current economic situation. However, if it extends beyond that, I think it is natural that well-qualified, technical/professional Federal Government staff will start looking for other options. In general those employees that are well-qualified and are currently in a job have an easier time at finding a new job than those that are unemployeed(also from my personal experience of being unemployeed for 8 months in 2003).

Also, as a hiring manager, just a few years ago, I was lucky to get 1-2 qualified resumes for people interested in a government position. Now, it's probably anywhere from 30-120 applicants, depending on the position. So, clearly the private sector employees have now found government employment more desirable than in the past, due to one reason alone . . . the economy and the desire for stability.

Posted by: thorsteve | November 29, 2010 8:56 PM

Private Sector:
Pay Increase - Average 10% increase annually, based on performance.

Government Contractor:
Pay Increase - Approx 7% increase annually performance based.
Bonuse - None. No stock options.

Federal Employee:

Posted by: thorsteve | November 29, 2010 8:56 PM

P.S. I'd rather see the Federal Government focus more on pay per performance, rather than across the board increases, just as the private sector does.

Posted by: thorsteve | November 29, 2010 8:58 PM

This article seems to have hit a nerve. There are two points that are indisputable. First, if any worker believes he is underpaid, that worker should immediately begin looking for a better job in a different company. Self-respect might dictate this. Second, if 5% of the government workers were simply fired, the mission critical objectives of the country would still be accomplished. Really, is there anybody who really believes that absolutely everybody on the payroll is absolutely necessary? Nope.

Posted by: Keesvan | November 29, 2010 9:43 PM

As a federal employee, I have no problem being asked to make a contribution to deficit reduction. I do have a problem being asked to sacrifice so millionaires can continue to receive tax cuts and bloat the deficit far beyond the contribution of the federal workforce. At least Republicans are honest about loving the rich and despising the federal employees. The Democrats are wholly dishonest when it comes to standing up to the wealthy.

Posted by: Bethesda_Jack | November 29, 2010 10:14 PM

I support it because it will do something, but I wish people would stop talking about it actually being a big deal. Its fiscal benefits will be modest, and that's a generous word to use here.

The bigger deal would be an announcement that the Bush tax cuts would be allowed to expire for the $250,000 and up bracket. That would put quite a dent in the deficit. And sadly, it will never happen.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | November 29, 2010 10:22 PM

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. President Obama pretty much wants everyone to get along. This is a move to appease the Tea Party. Considering that the Tea Party has decided to score political points by attacking federal workers, it is also probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: steveholcomb1 | November 29, 2010 11:02 PM

This is a bad idea! Is the government also going to frezze the price its pays to it pays for government contractors? How about other procured services? I think not.

Posted by: ringleader | November 30, 2010 12:31 AM

Does this 'freeze' include the legislators, White House staff, Department Secretarys and other high-level govt. staff also? Or are those people somehow 'exempt' by not calling them 'civilian' federal employees?

Posted by: momof20yo | November 30, 2010 7:25 AM

How do you not justify a Federal Pay Raise? For two years running Retired Military and Seniors (Social Security) have not received a raise. If our cost of living is flat then why is the COL of the Feds not flat? Who does the math in D.C.?
If you look at the average take home pay of all those Feds in Northern Virginia and Southern MD you can quickly see they are the most overpaid characters in history. No where in the US are incomes of 100K/yr so common. Give me a break and stop pandering to the Feds. They pay no taxes (effectively since they are paid by taxes) and they produce very little in the way of tangible products. The Fed Work Force is a bloated creature that needs serious winnowing. I might add that few, if any, in the private sector enjoy the perks of Federal Employees either. I never got paid for staying home when it snowed. I never had 30 days paid vacation, I never had so many accumulative sick days and I was subject to funding availability to support my time card. In short, I worked for a living..... I did not feed at the public trough!

Posted by: ransr01 | November 30, 2010 7:53 AM

Don't ask me for the evidence; he can easily google it............
Show me the data; until then I don't believe it.
Posted by: bluebellknoll | November 29, 2010 12:52 PM

A true genious.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 30, 2010 8:08 AM

So we're installing machines that see through people's clothes at every airport while we're freezing wages. Awesome.

Posted by: CNUCatherine | November 30, 2010 8:31 AM

That's really fair.....freeze the salary of a border patrol agent or a VA nurse...because of all that money they make.....ridiculous....let's ask people who already sacrafice to sacrafice some more ...how much "shared sacrafice" is being felt by Alan Greenspan, corporate CEOs, or hedge fund managers.....they're not fighting the wars and they're not losing their houses or retirement.....sorry, Obama, you are wrong on this one!

Posted by: brt30 | November 30, 2010 9:02 AM

I support a Wall Street, Banker, and Financier pay freeze!

Posted by: dnaden33 | November 30, 2010 9:04 AM

I have supported Obama til this. I am going to have to side with the other side on this one.

Posted by: ruholy2000 | November 30, 2010 9:21 AM

I don't have a problem with the pay freeze for federal workers but it should include ALL federal workers to include those in Congress, Supreme Court Judges, and even including the President. If you are going to do it do it across the board for all federal govt employess.

Some people assume that all federal workers are making big bucks and guess what most of us that are going to suffer behind this aren't. We are just getting by like other people. Yes I am grateful to have a job with great benefits and all but other than that I'm are living on the edge too.

First it's cutting the transit benefits and now its pay raises...Lawd whats next?

Posted by: msruby36 | November 30, 2010 9:39 AM

It seems to me that a reassessment of pay rates is in order, to have at least a semblance of equity among government workers. Some local public university salaries were published in a newspaper recently, and some seemed excessive compared to others. For example, truck drivers made $60K and one administrative assistant made $70K, while entry level public school teachers and lawyers made $35K and $45K, respectively. Neither of the first two jobs required a college degree, while the third and fourth required a bachelor's degree and an advanced degree, respectively, as well as other certification. The problem would seem to be that, while wages for the relatively uneducated and/or unskilled in the private sector have effectively decreased, public sector wages for those persons have continued to increase at a good clip.

Posted by: CMNC | November 30, 2010 9:53 AM

I think Capitol Hill & the White House need to have a 2-3 year freeze & 10% pay cut like most of the private sector has been experiencing over the last few years. At least those who are lucky to still have a job!

Posted by: nj5780LP | November 30, 2010 10:14 AM

The Fed Worker supports and loves their country! We help put money into local economies everyday. The National Park Service helps put billions into tourism dollars. Yet the average GS pay scale worker is a GS-6/7/9. Look it it up and would you work for that much. A GS-9 Law Enforcement Ranger gets hazard pay and uniform allowance but that doesn't pay for everything. Would you risk your life on that kind of pay? Yes, sadly Rangers are Killed in the line of duty. GHW Bush signed some pay raise increases into law but Clinton evoked a presidential emergency and took our raises. The budget was balanced on the Fed Workers back. Clinton left office with a surplus and a solid economy. W Bush comes in caused a lot of fed Retirements to lose big money because people were invested in the stock index. I mean people lost out big. My loss was $14,000.00 + . Then we didn't get what would be a COLA equivalent raise. I would have given my tax rebate back just to not see that bridge collapse or some child die from eating tainted meat. The Fed Worker pay check helps local economies. Most workers are GS-Scale 6/7/9. Look up what they make and would you work at that pay rate? A GS-9 Law Enforcement Ranger gets hazard pay, uniform allowance but the uniform allowance doesn't cover a complete set of uniforms. Summer & Winter, causal and dress. Yet they put their life's on-the-line and we have Rangers killed in the line of duty. Would you put your life on the line for that much pay? We do more for less and we do it, out of service and dedication to our country. Yet we are stereotyped as ineffective bureaucrats. In 2011 we get a 1.10% pay raise this year. Ask any town what happens when a base closes? The (R) G.O.P. has manged to mangle this country into the mess we are in and yet the same dingbat's with short memories vote them in before the (D) have a chance to recover what W and Cheny did to our beautiful country and reputation.

Posted by: Mark_Israel | November 30, 2010 10:41 AM

Quit complaining. I've gone through this in the private sector. Suck it up!

Would you rather lose your job or not have a pay increase for a couploe of years?

I already know the answer to that one.

Posted by: jwash4472 | November 30, 2010 10:46 AM

If the Federal Government slugs, I mean workers, don't like it, they can come on out and compete in the private sector. You will have to be productive and earn money for your employer to keep your job. You would then be helping us support the rest of the slugs.

Posted by: notabeliever | November 30, 2010 10:50 AM

Are we going to ask Congress to take a pay freeze also? Giving the amount of work that thay have done in the last two years?
We deserve a rebate?

Posted by: metoo7 | November 30, 2010 11:10 AM

Given that Federal employees are paid BETTER than there private sector counterparts it is high time they had a pay freeze AND a reduction/elimination of the bloated pensions they receive. Given the amount of commentary on this board its pretty obvious these Federal employees AREN'T too busy working for US to prevent them from scanning the blogosphere to chime in on this debate. Time to trim the fat everywhere, starting with Federal jobs.

Posted by: jlarranaga | November 30, 2010 12:30 PM

yes.why not,lots of people are losing there jobs and homes,why not cut there pay.or no raises social security gets not raises for 2 years lets be fair,we need to eat and pay rent as well.you people are not above every body else.stop whinnnnnning.

Posted by: perhamfam | November 30, 2010 12:49 PM

I am a Govt worker & the ONLY person in the home with a job. My health insurance rates have gone up, cost of living is up, yet you want to freeze MY pay & ask me to take a 2 wk furlough without pay OR work 2 wks with no pay?

Will YOU be bailing me out & paying my bills & buying my groceries when my landlord throws me out & I can't pay my bills?

All of you in the White House have EXCELLENT health insurance plans & make MILLIONS of dollars! Why don't all of YOU take the salary cuts & subscribe to the SAME EXACT health insurance the rest of us Govt workers have to choose from?

Why do those in office get special privileges, pay, & health insurance? Aren't you Govt workers just like me? You put your clothing on the same way I do, so why are us little people the only ones to suffer?

Furlough me for two weeks when I am the only breadwinner?

You are a bunch of heartless officials because you ALL have the advantages none of the rest of us have. TOP pay, TOP health insurance for LIFE, Protection, NONE of you live the life the rest of us live because you are SPECIAL.

Try walking in our shoes for awhile, struggling from paycheck to paycheck to pay bills that keep RISING, putting food on the table for the family, while pay stays the same & we are asked to assume more work with less people!

Health insurance is LOUSY, but the cost of it is SKY HIGH while you politicians sit in your cushy positions with ALL the perks & privileges.

HOW DARE YOU! The Govt USED to be BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE. Now its FOR THE POLITICIANS, & to HECK with US, the PEOPLE!

Thanks ALOT for NOTHING! Bail out the big businesses & banks and screw the people, is that YOUR America?

Posted by: scentsablyurs | November 30, 2010 2:19 PM

Furlough me for two weeks when I am the only breadwinner?

Posted by: scentsablyurs | November 30, 2010 2:21 PM

I wouldn't mind a freeze IF everything else wasn't going up in price.

Logically speaking, when you make a cut, you SHOULD cut from the TOP.

But Congress, Legislators, Senators, etc., you get my meaning, all those at the TOP never cut from the top. They always cut a few thousand from the bottom instead of 1 or 2 from the top.

Face it, if you cut 1-4 from the top, forced ALL the top dawgs to have access ONLY to the same Health Insurances the rest of us have access to, the cuts would be significant and would help just as much as cutting a few thousand from the bottom.

Try it...you will see!

Posted by: scentsablyurs | November 30, 2010 2:32 PM

You know it is interesting to read these comments. I work for the Federal Government, I expected the govt to have a pay freeze for the last two years so it finally happened. Now about salaries, let's see I turned down a private sector job that offered me $40,000.00 a year more than I make right now (two and half years ago because I felt I could do a great job for my government). Yes, when the economy picks up (which it will) and private industry starts hiring again trust me a lot of great government employees are going to leave to take higher paying jobs. It is a regular cycle. When the dot.coms came along I know a lot of Govt IT folks that left the gov. to make big bucks for a few years until the dot.coms went belly up and then they were trying to get back into the government. My best friend left the government for an IT job making at least 35, 000.00 more per year plus stock options. After three years his job was going south and he took a job working for the the FBI making $25,000.00 less a year for job security. He just turned down an offer that would have paid him $50,000.00 more a year in private industry(during this recession, can you believe that). So when I hear the comments that are posted on this site it does make me a bit upset but, I will continue to do the best job that I can for the federal gov. An unlike some of the persons that are posting comments on this site I have also done my time in the military (28 total years)and yes I have been activated and lost even more money being deployed. So when you don't get your un-employment check who are you going to be mad at. When your paperwork for your FHA loan or refinance for your house isn't done on time who are you going to be mad at. When the social security check isn't deposited on time who you going to get mad at. So private industry causes the worst economic meltdown since the depression and everyone is mad at the government worker. What is wrong with that. Excuse me but, I didn't get a bonus check last year or this year but, Wall Street, AIG, etc received some nice ones but, everyone on this site is mad at the Federal gov. Now Republicans are more worried about giving someone making millions a year a tax break and you guys are still fussing about the federal gov. Everyone had better start waking up. So I will deal with a pay freeze for two years but, I'm not getting a big tax break, and since you want to talk about the gov. pension, guess what, Everyone after 1986 has a 401K so just like everyone else we have also lost a lot of money over the last few years.

Posted by: michael1963 | November 30, 2010 2:51 PM

Corporate America has been giving less than 2% increases for the past several years while federal employees received twice that amount. Now it's time for ALL public sector employees to cut back as well. In the 1970s we had a wage freeze (at a private sector job) that lasted close to 2 full years. Guess what, we survived and so will 2010 public sector employees. When the bank book is empty, it's empty. So many private sector employees are on the unemployment line, I wonder how many federal employees have lost their jobs?

Posted by: Voiceofsanity2 | November 30, 2010 11:21 PM

As previously stated, I don't think many federal employees would MIND a wage freeze as long as the TOP DAWGS in Congress & the White House include themselves in this freeze.

What I DO oppose is being told I have to sit at home for 2 weeks with no pay!

And contrary to popular opinion, in some cases, it takes TWO incomes to support a family. Even though ONE family member may be a federal employee, what if the other family member is not working?

Private Sector employees usually get paid more money than federal employees in many fields. I think alot of people seem to think federal employees do NOTHING and get paid for doing NOTHING.

NOT THE CASE AT ALL! We HAVE already been scaled down to where one person is doing the work of 2-3 people in many sections and with no pay increases!

Make the TOP wage earners in Congress take cuts. As I said, if they cut 1-4 people from the top it just might help balance the budget!

Posted by: scentsablyurs | December 1, 2010 1:06 PM

If they do furlough govt workers, you that are screaming for us to be furloughed will only scream louder when you don't get your SS checks, your welfare checks, your food stamps, your unemployment checks, and every other check that comes from the government, on time for you to pay your bills or fill your cupboards.

But hey, you want to see this happen, so DON'T COMPLAIN when it happens!

A 2 week furlough will hurt MANY people, even those in the private sector IF they are depending on government checks or assistance of any kind.

Its a lose/lose situation for everyone.

Again, I don't think we would mind a freeze, I wouldn't. Better to have a job than NOT to have one.

Furlough me for 2 weeks with no pay, and you aren't just going to affect me.

Who will do the work I do in those 2 weeks? Federal Offices will be closed everywhere, except perhaps, in Congress & the White House because they are the SPECIAL ones that are never hit by these cuts or furloughs.

We pay for their salaries and their health insurance which is SUPERIOR to every health insurance plan out there....FOR LIFE!

Force them to have access to ONLY the same health insurance all other federal employees have access to and that would be a BIG cost savings in itself!

Cut their salaries. $200,000.00 PLUS a year is ALOT of money, and I wonder, do they go to work every single day or just certain days?

GREED....that is what it boils down to. The BIG wage earners suffer nothing, and they SHOULD make that sacrifice for the rest of Americans. WE PAY THEM, and in return, THEY SCREW US!

Posted by: scentsablyurs | December 1, 2010 1:20 PM

Here is a perfect opportunity for the Executive Branch, the House, and Senate to take one for the team. Obama can order a pay cut for them all, a windfall for the taxpayers no less.

Posted by: aleno | December 1, 2010 11:28 PM