Do you use the residential, paper-based white pages?

It arrives on your doorstep without fail. The white pages may be a holdover of print from a previous generation, but Verizon must still file with state regulators to end automatic deliveries. Read the full story.

By Ryan Kellett  |  November 16, 2010; 6:19 PM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Which smartphone is on your holiday wish list? | Next: Should alcoholic energy drinks be banned?

Comments

I wonder if the yellow pages still charges an arm and a leg for advertising? It used to be really, really high for a display ad.

Posted by: tbva | November 16, 2010 8:01 PM

Looks like we're wasting a lot of paper here. Of course, people who read the Post website probably also read the Yellow and White pages online, so it's certainly not a representative sample.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | November 16, 2010 8:04 PM

Our White and Yellow Pages go immediately from the driveway to the recycle bin - I wish we could at least opt out from receiving them.

Posted by: PartedOne | November 16, 2010 8:13 PM

This, to me, is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Why must we have constant, constant change? What is wrong with paper? What is wrong with the White Pages? They've served countless generations well; now this current generation wants to eliminate anything that's over 6 months old. Let us have some continuity here. Let us have some tradition. Let us remember we are all not 25 years old and new to the world. Plus, many numbers are not listed on the internet, and many websites charge for this information. Let's preserve SOMETHING of the world that has existed for the past 100 years and not supplant it with only those things that are trendy and chic.

Posted by: MarkEMcDonald | November 16, 2010 8:38 PM

Ours (white and yellow) goes directly from curb to recycle bin. Even more waste when these are distributed on rainy days and get drenched. Think of all the wasted energy to make, distribute, pick up again and recycle. How about Verizon also dial down the wasteful FIoS paper advertising in the mail.

Posted by: link390 | November 16, 2010 8:52 PM

The only good thing about the White and Yellow pages is that somebody(s) are employed to put the things together, print, and distribute them. The moment that book shows up on my front doorstep, I drop it off in a trash bag and get rid of it.

Posted by: novahokie2004 | November 16, 2010 9:38 PM

Try looking up the number for tech support on the Internet when your Internet connection is down.

Posted by: fickstdu | November 16, 2010 9:59 PM

I would prefer to opt in on the analog directories. I'd be upset if I paid a bundle for a display ad only to find out that it does not go to each and every subscriber. I did a race recently between me on my smart phone and another person looking up a number in the book. Sadly, the I lost the race which included time asking a waitress to bring us a phone book.

Posted by: proof | November 16, 2010 10:22 PM

Black White Hub * C o m is a nice and free place for SINGLES- a nice and free place for singles- black & white, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or- tell your friends.

Posted by: abulaw | November 16, 2010 10:23 PM

In the 21st century we should surely by now be mostly a paperless society. I cant imagine these days a need for a paper version of a phone directory.... I guess there are those in the extreme remote areas that may need it... but do they even have a phone??

Posted by: BobbyYarush | November 16, 2010 10:37 PM

I'm all with the poster who said "How about Verizon also dial down the wasteful FIoS paper advertising in the mail."

Seems like I get something from them every other day in the mail. Goes directly into the recycle bin (as do the paper versions of the phone directly).

Posted by: seaduck2001 | November 16, 2010 11:42 PM

On your doorstep? Here, at least the Yellow Book version is thrown from the back of a moving pickup onto the middle of the sidewalk, preferably in a soaking rain. It's not delivery, it's straight up littering.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 17, 2010 12:50 AM

Lot's of paper but for those who do not want to spend any money, a great way to lookup local listed persons in there community.

A much better idea would be to get every person an Apple iPad and have universal wi-fi and save the paper! Apple agree's with that also I am sure!

Posted by: macking301 | November 17, 2010 2:14 AM

We get two copies of BOTH yellow and white pages each year, plus the little local version. I actually kind of appreciate the local yellow pages, especially when I'm looking to shop locally or support a smaller business, but honestly, I hate to see all this paper go to waste. It's beyond my imagination to understand why so much paper is still being wasted. Opt out? I'd love to!

Ditto on the Verizon Fios propaganda. They scared my mother into thinking that she'd lose all TV service after the big switch from analog, and they too are wasting paper. I'm collecting each envelope they mail me, and seriously think I might mail it right back to them, telling them where to shove it all and to stop wasting my money. Sadly, they'd probably just pitch it all in the trash (recycling is soooooo hard) and keep sending them anyway.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | November 17, 2010 2:36 AM

LOL @ Old Man McDonald above, who thinks the Internet is "trendy"--Google is just a fad!

They keep leaving piles of phone books (and Columbia Fliers) outside my apartment building. No one takes them inside; no one wants them. They just sit outside until they get rained on, and presumably, management chucks them in the dumpster.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | November 17, 2010 3:21 AM

I've got 8,000 books in my house, but the phone books aren't among them. And as a retired businessman, when I remember the usurious ad rates that the Yellow Pages used to charge, I don't have an ounce of pity for them.

If people want the phone books and Verizon still wants to produce them, then let them, but what's the point of not allowing an opt-out when more than half of these books go directly to the recycling bin?

Posted by: andym108 | November 17, 2010 6:05 AM

I currently use the white and yellow pages all the time but would gladly use an on-line version providing it was free from my service provider.

It would save money and trees not delivering these bulky documents around the region particularly if very few actually use them.

If Verizon provided me this search function via my account through their on-line services I would be happy to free up space on my shelves for other things.

Posted by: robertjheston | November 17, 2010 6:20 AM

Haven't had white or yellow pages in my home for more than ten years, which totally baffles my elderly mother-in-law. In our ever mobile (as in moving form home to home a lot) these books are full of out of date information the second they arrive. Terrible waste of resources!

Posted by: SaysEye | November 17, 2010 6:51 AM

If they're allowed to stop delivering the White Pages, they need to make calls to directory assistance free again. Stopping the directory is a bad idea for so many reasons -- including power outages.

Posted by: Kathy8 | November 17, 2010 7:19 AM

Are these comments going to get to Verizon or the people who will decide whether to discontinue the white pages? I hope so. I totally disagree with eliminating the white pages. I use them all the time to look up the parents of my son's friends from school since he only know his friend's cell phone numbers. I use it to look up business, schools, libraries and government listings. I also agree that if Verizon wants to save money, it should stop showering me with FiOs mailings. Finally I agree with the writer who said that if Verizon eliminates the white pages, they should eliminate the fee for directory assistance calls. I thought that was the whole purpose of the fee: to get people to use their telephone. directories.

Posted by: m2d2usa1 | November 17, 2010 8:03 AM

I don't have a computer at home and use the white and yellow pages there.

I'm also sick of the continual mail from Verizon about FIOS.

Posted by: swissmiss150 | November 17, 2010 9:15 AM

1. With so many people going totally wireless or VOIP, there is no single directory of phone numbers.

2. Web is opt-in. Not everyone, nor every business, can be found on the Web.

3. Not everyone has the machinery or access to machinery to be able to use Web search services.

3. Let's not sound pious about not wanting to "waste resources" when 95 percent of mail I receive — much from phone companies — is "junk" mail.

Posted by: cfow1 | November 17, 2010 9:15 AM

This is a self-selecting group. Some older folks, and people of any age without Internet access, aren't responding to this survey because they aren't online. Although I don't use the white pages, they do.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | November 17, 2010 10:31 AM

You know, we no longer have a landline, but we do still get the white and yellow pages - and we use them all the time.

We use them because you can't use the equivalent online any longer without paying a fee.

Whether you use anywho.com, or the online white pages or the online yellow pages, 99.99% of the time you'll get a search result that will refer you to Intellus to make a payment.

I WON'T DO BUSINESS WITH INTELLUS, and you shouldn't, either. They're in the business of charging you for what you should be able to get for free.

What's the difference between looking up a number in a book or on a computer, where you generally have to pay a fee to get it?

I'd rather have the hardcopy and "let my fingers do the walking" - for free.

Screw Intellus.

Posted by: kentuckywoman2 | November 17, 2010 1:57 PM

Didn't vote because my catagory wasn't a choice. If I don't already have your number, I don't need to call you. Haven't used a phone book in 20+ years, and never on-line.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 17, 2010 4:19 PM

As the story lays out, under Verizon's plan those who don't want a residential white pages directory won't be getting one. Those who do want one only have to call for a print or CD-ROM version. Plus, Verizon will make the listings available online. And the Yellow Pages, consumer guide pages and biz/government listings will continue to be delivered automatically. See, something for everyone.

Posted by: curlier1 | November 18, 2010 3:56 PM