Do you care whether the president smokes?

Apparently dealing with the worst financial crisis in decades, two wars, declining popularity and a shellacking at the polls has done wonders for President Obama's smoking habit - he hasn't touched a cigarette in nine months, according to the White House. Read the full story.

By Abha Bhattarai  |  December 10, 2010; 10:11 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: What is the next step in 'don't ask, don't tell'? | Next: Do you support legalizing online gambling in D.C.?

Comments

Obama has headier drugs, power and wealth from the plutocrats he so ardently courts! Also he can shine the pretty medals he pastes on the manly chests of our Generals maiming, killing, and destroying in our name and pretend to be a glorious leader!

Posted by: CHAOTICIAN101 | December 10, 2010 10:59 AM

You mean that halo around Barry's head is really cigarette smoke from the last drag he took before going on camera?!

Posted by: jshay | December 10, 2010 11:02 AM

Heck, yeah, I care if he smokes. I want him dead as soon as possible.

Posted by: eggy1 | December 10, 2010 11:10 AM

If he is a better POTUS with a cig in his mouth, then someone send a secret service agent down to the corner store to grab a couple cartons. Seriously, who cares about this? Is America going to stop voting for fat people in the future too?

Posted by: BurtReynolds | December 10, 2010 11:13 AM

He really should quit smoking; for obvious reasons of course, but also because pretty soon there won't be any place for him to do so. With the ever increasing consternation over the effects of second-hand smoke, in a few years it will probably be illegal to smoke ANYWHERE, even outdoors.

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | December 10, 2010 11:14 AM

I guess that means the Repugs will say smoking is good for you and try to repeal anything that is faintly anti-tobacco.

Posted by: k4mdg | December 10, 2010 11:15 AM

OMG! The president is human!

Posted by: DrFish | December 10, 2010 11:29 AM

The media has not shown presidents smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol in decades. FDR was recognized by his glasses and cigarette holder, but Ike, who was a chain-smoker in WW2, is not shown smoking.

And then there is this Capone-esque image of Obama.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 10, 2010 11:31 AM

It is of small concern if he smokes. Will he also burst into flame?

Posted by: JWMeritt | December 10, 2010 11:39 AM

mind your own business. Your obesity and the related trips to the doctor and missed work affects us a lot more than him or anyone else lighting up.

Posted by: jackson641 | December 10, 2010 11:45 AM

I think he should stop, since I am paying for his health care. he should also stop going out for burgers, since they make you fat. He should start wearing a football helmet when he plays basketball, so he doesn't get another cut lip. I wonder how much that escapade cost us?
Really, in the end, we should outlaw the following items, since they are un healthy, and we are all soon to be paying for each other's health care. Note: this is only a partial list which will be added to as time passes.
Butter, salt, beef, cheese, milk over 1% fat, tobacco, alchohol, sugar,honey (also because it is exploitive of bees), pork, chicken, actually any and all meats, cars, airplanes, in fact any proscess or device that emits or produces carbon dioxide. Actually, we humans are pretty big emitters of co2, so probably the best thing for the planet would be if we were to all just peacefully and quietly kill ourselves and let the animals have the place back. You go first!

Posted by: David90 | December 10, 2010 11:47 AM

I don't care for anything Obama does. The man comes on my TV with another (yawn) speech, the set is turned off, the room vacated.

Posted by: inmanorj | December 10, 2010 12:06 PM

It's something he's doing, or trying to do, for his wife, and nobody else's business. She mentioned it once during the 08 campaign, and then wisely never brought it up again. That, and the fact that this is a non-story, can both be attributed to the 99.9% relapse rate of quitters.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | December 10, 2010 12:13 PM

I'm certainly grateful that President Obama has quit smoking. I'm grateful for anyone who quits smoking, drinking and using drugs. I care about the health of others and his politics should not factor into anyone's opinion. I didn't like George Bush; I didn't like his smirky grin; I didn't like his politics. But I certainly was glad to hear he stopped drinking for the sake of his health and his family.

Posted by: gitouttahere | December 10, 2010 12:22 PM

I am glad he has quit, mainly for the example it sets for our youth. And in particular, his own daughters. Children of smokers are much more likely to take up the habit themselves.

Posted by: cjbriggs | December 10, 2010 1:00 PM

I think that it's a bad time for Obama to quit smoking. He should wait until 2017 when he's out of office. Too much work to do now to be dealing with nicotine cravings.

Posted by: spro | December 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Smoking is a personal choice and whether Obama smokes or not is his problem but if he visits my house he would have to smoke outside even if he is President.

Posted by: rjm948 | December 10, 2010 1:08 PM

Let's face it, there are worse vices to have. Like invading countries without any solid evidence.

Sure, I hope he quits to set an example - he is the leader of the country, like it or not - but if he doesn't, we can at least focus on other issues.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | December 10, 2010 4:05 PM

Smoking is a vile hard drug addiction (more addictive and dangerous than marijuana) and even though it is "Jesus Approved" and has lobbyists on the Hill, the President should set an example by not being addicted to nicotine.

Posted by: areyousaying | December 10, 2010 6:19 PM

Heck, yeah, I care if he smokes. I want him dead as soon as possible.

Posted by: eggy1

Newt?

Is that you?

Or maybe Sarah?

How "Christ like" of you.

Posted by: areyousaying | December 10, 2010 6:22 PM

I smoked for 30 years, took seven committed tries to quit before I made it stick (at least for the last 7 years I have not smoked). My last relapse before that was at 3 AM on the third day of a week long attempt to rebuild a trashed database (with compromised backup tapes). And hellish as that was, I don't think it quite compares to the stuff a President deals with as on-the-job stressors go. So not surprised President Obama may have to take a few swings to make it stick (watch the sore jaw if you overdo the gum, Mr. President).

Posted by: paulhume | December 10, 2010 6:57 PM

I am no BO supporter, however I wish he would not smoke, as he has two nice kids, who deserve better.I also can sympathize, he is under a lot of stress, and smoking may alleviate some elements of being in the fish bowl. I believe Clinton smoked cigars, however only Monica knows for sure.

Posted by: dangreen3 | December 10, 2010 9:27 PM

It's no one's business but Obama's if he chooses to smoke. If he's nine months off the habit, however, it's a good bet he's off for good.

Posted by: Kaelinda1 | December 10, 2010 10:09 PM

As a former smoker who was diagnosed years later by accident (pro-op chest xray) with lung cancer, you never know when something is going to reach out to grab you... sure it's your personal business, except when an industry is (was) making a concentrated effort to brand a product/image to a target susceptible market. Not much has changed. If you look at the statistics, where are the highest rates of smokers? Is the President unconsciously providing an image of "cool" for a target market?

It might be nobody's business but his if he smokes, if he can keep his business private, but once public, his habit becomes an endorsement...if only he'd name the brand...

Posted by: marsh21 | December 10, 2010 10:22 PM

As taxpayers will foot his health bills forever he better quit or a bill should be passed disqualifying him (and anyone else who has federal supplied healthcare) from public-financed health insurance and care.

Posted by: RussellCox | December 10, 2010 10:31 PM

I personally feel safer with the smoker than with the heavy drinker (not calling any names). But, we are living with his decisions that threw our economy into a 21st century depression.

Posted by: Msohio1 | December 13, 2010 1:43 PM

Quitting smoking is very difficult, experts say harder than getting off heroin.

I hope for the sake of Mr. Obama's family that he quits once and for all.

I wish this president a long and happy life, as a private citizen starting 1/20/2013 at noon.

Posted by: LETFREEDOMRING2 | December 14, 2010 7:28 AM