Have you changed the way you commute?

New Census data shows that Washingtonians are using more public transportation. But the solo car commute still remains the primary choice for two out of three workers.

By Ryan Kellett  |  December 15, 2010; 6:09 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Wrapping paper or gift bags? | Next: Rate Mayor Fenty's tenure

Comments

My struggle is trying to find a way to mass tranny that makes sense. I live 10 miles from my office (right near the White House). I'd have to bus to a metro and ride the metro in and it takes about an hour, including the 10 minute walk from metro to my office. Never mind how expensive metro has gotten!

I tried to patch together a bus ride in as there is a bus that stops nearby my office but it is a half mile walk to the first bus, a transfer with a 15 minute wait for the second bus and still takes an hour.

If I drive in it takes 20-30 minutes. I have a hard time rationalizing it in my head as much as I'd like.

I've bike commuted in the past and probably will in the new year, I just need time to mentally prep for the bike/car war.

Posted by: LTL1 | December 16, 2010 9:14 AM

Yes. I now drive, instead of Metro, but I changed jobs: My office is now 10 minutes from home.

Posted by: Vosora | December 16, 2010 9:16 AM

I bought a house closer to work. I now live close enough to walk or ride my bike. We also sold the second car and now share one. The cost of housing to live in my neighborhood is very high but in the end cheaper housing wasn't worth the price of gas, maintenance and lost hours with our family.

As for metro, it's no longer cost effective for me. The last time we took our 3 kids to DC, the metro ride down and back was $40. It's cheaper to drive and park and I don't have to put up with being squashed like a sardine or having to carry my kids up broken escalators. I used to love and rely on metro but no more. The management has run it into the ground.

Posted by: jposto | December 16, 2010 9:46 AM

I've changed the way I commute, but the change I had to make isn't reflected in this poll.

I've had to start getting up an hour earlier just so I can account for the usual delays on I-66 and then the usual delays on the Orange/Blue lines and still get to work on time.

My commute in the morning is now one hour longer, my commute in the evening is one hour longer because of the lack of road funding and lack of reliable public transportation.

Posted by: mika_england | December 16, 2010 10:52 AM

I take the orange line from East Falls Church every day into D.C. I have built in an EXTRA 30 minutes every morning because metro is so unreliable. Switchng problems, door problems dumping everyone off the train, extra waiting at every station due to a 'residual delay that has now been corrected" - and that's just the first 3 days of this week.

Posted by: swissmiss150 | December 16, 2010 10:59 AM

I commute daily on the orange line from East Falls Church to D.C. For the last 5 years or so, I had to build in an additional 30 minutes to account for frequent delays - switching problems, stopping at every station for additional periods because of 'residual delays for an earlier problem that was resolved, and the entire train being dumped because one door would not close. And that's merely the first 3 days of this week.

Posted by: swissmiss150 | December 16, 2010 11:12 AM

Since Sept 2009, I ride my bike 14 miles roundtrip. Metro made me do it. I got so fed up with the service being unreliable that I broke my commute down to walking part of the way and then using Metro so I wouldn't have to transfer (it took longer but I got great exercise). Finally, I dumped Metro completely and decided to bike to/from work. I love it! No delays, no selfish commuters to deal with, no doors closing on me and more money in my pocket, and a fit body. Also, biking takes five minutes less each trip. Win-win situation!! I avoid Metro as much as possible.

Posted by: shejoy | December 16, 2010 11:33 AM

Like an idiot I took a job working later hrs 9:30-6 in DC commuting from B more. NEVER AGAIN! Trains are more efficient during RUSH HRs. If a metro, MARC train or Light Rail broke down after rush hr so what the main workforce is home. I can stand in the cold (Light Rail. MARC and Metro are indoors) for a hr waiting for a replacement train. I got home close to 9 most of the week.

Now I'm back on an earlier shift all my commuter buds welcomed me back and I no longer have to make dangerous walks at night due to broke down trains. I have 15-20 ppl walking with me @Penn St. I missed my crew!!!!

I would complain about losing the federal transit benefit but my commuter bud told me to start using the Circulator (from Union st) for a $2 (round trip) versus expensive Metro. See why I luv my crew!

Posted by: MDlady2 | December 16, 2010 12:40 PM

I gave up on Metro years ago, and from what others tell me, it keeps getting worse. I live in Arlington and work in D.C., so at least it's a short car ride.

Posted by: shoveit | December 16, 2010 1:08 PM

I hate that my current commute doesn't have a good public transit option. 7.5 miles, typically 35-40 minutes in the mornings, 50-75 minutes in the evenings even if I leave early to try to beat the rush.

But even though it's right across the street from a Metro station, Metro is worthless: I'd be parking in Vienna and taking the Metro ONE STOP to Dunn Loring. Taking the bus to Vienna from home is out of the question (there's not even a stop within a couple of miles of home).

So I solo-car commute and hate it the whole way. I bought a house close to my office just to minimize the commute and have the chance of biking or walking in the summer... and promptly got transferred to another office. Sigh.

Posted by: exerda | December 16, 2010 1:33 PM

Gave up on Metro in the summer, the parking fees for the Metro garage made the monthly fee in my building look really good.

They can't seem to cool their cars in the summer too, then theres the jerky stop-speed up-slow-speed up ride that causes people to be dumped on the floor).

Posted by: fluxgirl | December 16, 2010 1:38 PM

This is a REALLY unscientific poll, because I'm pretty sure people who HAVE changed their commute will want to brag about it, and those of us who still drive daily vast distances will skip the poll. I did not, because I wanted to leave this note.

Posted by: henry6 | December 20, 2010 6:08 AM

The poll leaves out a really important way people may have changed their commutes -- by working from home. I've become a telecommuter in the last year, and i don't think i'm alone in making this change.

Posted by: subuhi9 | December 27, 2010 7:33 AM