Reaction to NPR's new policies

By Paul Williams  |  January 6, 2011; 2:58 PM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Is there an appeal to vulnerability? | Next: From Mom and Dad to Parent One and Parent Two: What do you think?

Comments

Williams had been "warned" and he knew his contract.

Posted by: rlj1 | January 6, 2011 3:28 PM

Mr. Williams only expressed an honest opinion that most people would find understandable. I enjoy NPR and listen daily, but NPR's political correctness lunacy only validates the claim by the right wing that NPR makes a farce of the first admendment.

Posted by: techcomp | January 6, 2011 3:56 PM

I see that Mr. Williams has commented on this over on his new home of Fox 'News'. It is interesting that his comments suggest the need for multiple political viewpoints on a network. I hope he lobbies fiercely for this on Fox News, which is really a home for a broad range of political viewpoints.....

Posted by: Barry8 | January 6, 2011 7:37 PM

Whether or not Mr. Williams had been warned, NPR shot its foot off with the way it handled the matter.

Posted by: Itzajob | January 6, 2011 8:18 PM

Schiller should have been fired as well as Weiss. Weiss could not have taken the actions she did without Schiller's support. This brings back sad memories of how disgracefully Bob Edwards was forced out of hosting the Morning Edition by NPR management in 2004. That's the year NPR lost me as a member. NPR will continue to be viewed as a liberal leaning, narrow minded organization as long as Schiller remains. She has got to go!

Posted by: rak003 | January 7, 2011 6:26 AM

Liberals hate Fox News. Conservatives hate NPR.

The difference is that liberals don't have to pay a penny toward Fox News.

Posted by: Delongl | January 7, 2011 3:35 PM

I found the money paid to Schiller and her predecessor is stunning. Not because of the responsibility, but because of the fact that the money comes from the government and tax-deductible contributions. I think that most contributors would be very upset if they knew what these people were being paid.

Posted by: mmkm | January 8, 2011 6:51 AM

Of course Fox News and its followers orchestrated the protest over Williams' firing. That's what they do for a living.

BUT---Why does NPR keep giving the right wing such easy targets? If anything, there was a far more legitimate reason to fire Weiss than there was for firing Williams.

Weiss way overstepped the boundaries of her job and did it in a crude and bureaucratic way, giving Williams no chance to explain what he said in context. She acted as prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner. His firing was as pure an expression of political correctness as can be, and there's no way of getting around that.

Whatever we may think of Williams' comments, they were (1) honestly expressed, and (2) qualified---He was using his instinctive reaction to seeing Muslim-looking people on a plane as a cautionary tale AGAINST pre-judging people by their appearances. How on Earth did that ever deserve a dismissal?

I detest Fox News and everything it stands for, and I'm a regular listener of NPR and ATC. But Jesus, there are times when I honestly think that Fox has infiltrated NPR with secret agents whose sole assignment is to make NPR look like complete idiots. Hopefully firing Weiss will be a wakeup call that will get someone's attention.

Posted by: andym108 | January 8, 2011 8:29 AM

The people who listen to All Things Considered and the Diane Rehme Show should be the ones to pay for it, not the tax paying public. You never hear a conservative thought on either of these programs. Yes, I like the bluegrass shows and even maintained a membership in WAMU for more than 25 years before I finally got fed up with subsidizing an overwhelmingly liberal ajenda. In fact, I needed that money to buy an HD radio for my car so that I could continue to listen, as they eliminated it from their programming on the main channel, and relegated it to HD2 status. I still fund a portion of NPR with my tax payments, but I don't have to further exacerbate it by volunteering additional monies.

Posted by: eward3 | January 8, 2011 1:27 PM