The League

NFL News Feed

Collinsworth Named Madden's Successor

Cris Collinsworth will succeed John Madden as the analyst in the NBC broadcast booth for the network's Sunday night NFL game telecasts, NBC executive Dick Ebersol announced during a conference call with reporters today.

Madden announced his retirement from broadcasting earlier today, rejecting an offer made Wednesday by Ebersol to work the network's September and November games next season and take October and December off.

Collinsworth had been on the NBC studio show.

"John's successor will be Cris Collinsworth," Ebersol, the chairman of NBC Sports, said during the conference call. "... Cris has always given us the luxury of having the two best broadcasters."

By Mark Maske  |  April 16, 2009; 12:28 PM ET  | Category:  Television Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Madden Retires From Broadcasting | Next: Madden Won't Rejoin Raiders, Agent Says

Comments

Chris Collinsworth talks from the end of the play to the next snap. They should have picked Yoko Romo, J.S. for all the Dallas Fans.

Posted by: treeknobber | April 17, 2009 6:26 AM

Bad choice I think,However heres an idea!
Hire Obama and have him pick someone (ya right)

Posted by: mbl19582004 | April 16, 2009 9:32 PM

Hello Westwood One!
I can't stand Collingsworth.

Posted by: dniel1 | April 16, 2009 7:54 PM

Why not just resurrect Theismann? Or maybe just kick me in the groin?

Posted by: horace_simon1 | April 16, 2009 7:36 PM

CC is arrogant and condescending and has a horrible voice. It's a good thing you can still get the Sunday Night games on the radio.

Posted by: willycc | April 16, 2009 7:04 PM

You need a person who gives the information, play by play concerning the game. Collingsworth does not fit that category. It is great if you walk away from the game and still hear what is going on from the play by play commentary.

Posted by: 81yarns | April 16, 2009 5:18 PM

Cris Collinsworth is a terrible choice. No one can tell me that they searched long and hard, deep and wide, and came up with ...him. My only consolation is that the network will come to it's senses a year or so down the road and pick a talented, charismatic, knowledgeable broadcaster. Flyweights just don't cut it! The last 8 years should be example enough.

Posted by: cgray7daone | April 16, 2009 4:50 PM

Chris Collingworth? You got to be kidding me.

Posted by: marlea1319 | April 16, 2009 3:56 PM

Al Michaels and John Madden -- best commentators on the game ever. I will miss John Madden. He was smart and always provided excellent insights into the game.

And who will discuss the turducken at Thanksgiving?

Posted by: duncanto | April 16, 2009 3:54 PM

The appointment of Collinsworth is the real tragedy here. Perhaps much like Obama, the best of the worst. What's next? Dennis Miller coming back to join Tony Kornheiser? The next great enhancement of TV MUST be a seperate "mute" capability for the commentators ONLY.

Posted by: kondrek | April 16, 2009 3:17 PM

Collinsworth is the obvious choice, he subbed for Madden last season if i recall and was the voice on Madden '09. He is a knowlegeable guy and a good sportscaster, but he lacks the one liners and charms of John. It will take some getting used to, but life goes on.

Posted by: ozpunk | April 16, 2009 2:24 PM

HATED IT!!!
This is completely predictable. We need to establish the "Rooney rules" for hiring broadcasters. I guess being Bob Costas' lackey for all these years has finally paid off for Collinsworth. Gotta love the "ole boys" network. Would have loved to have seen someone like Darren Woodson, Rod Woodson or James Hasty given a chance to provide "another perspective" in the booth. Nothing worst than seeing former players(like Collingsworth) who have accomplished very little on the field commenting on current players.

Good thing I weaned myself of the NFL, although I admire the NFL's business model.

Enjoy

Posted by: mitigaterisk | April 16, 2009 2:04 PM

I like CC's irreverence, ability not to take himself too seriously, and occasional willingness to gore the NFL's sacred cows. Madden thought the NFL was God's agent on earth. As a former player, CC recognizes this for the brutal, unforgiving business it really is.

Posted by: salescoach | April 16, 2009 2:02 PM

Madden was the best hands down - no comparison.

Collingworth is a rube. I can't stand him or Obberman. They're both jerks.

Sorry to see Madden retire. Him and Pat Summerall were the best football announcers of all time. It wasn't football without them and football certainly won't be the same without them.

Posted by: Jaymand | April 16, 2009 2:00 PM

Collinsworth is a terrific choice.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | April 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Collinsworth is a stooge. Easily the most annoying sportscaster for the NFL.

Madden at worst displayed a little Raider nostalgia from time to time, in between seriously good analysis.

Collinsworthless is just relentless in his hate for teams that used to beat his old team, say in the Super Bowl for instance. There are about 20 guys that I could name that are better than Cris.

Posted by: scottst | April 16, 2009 1:40 PM

I'll take Collingsworth over slobberin' Coach Cowher.

Posted by: hackster52 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM

Hate to see John retire of course but those long distance RV trips must be tiresome at his age. I agree with Ebersole, Collingsworth is terrific. Happily he did not choose to mimic the inane from SNF. There I watch the entire game with the mute on.

Posted by: Java9 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM

I like Collinsworth, but he's going to need to put on a lot weight to fit into Madden's wardrobe.

Posted by: pippsk | April 16, 2009 1:33 PM

A good choice. Cris was a first-rate player and offers both insider knowledge and an excellent sense of humor.

Posted by: ottoman1 | April 16, 2009 1:30 PM

I enjoyed Madden. But, I don't think Collinsworth is the wisest replacement. They should have made a play for Cowher. I think Madden being a former coach really lend itself to his analysis. Cowher was the guy for this job, hands down. Sorry if duplicate.

Posted by: delOH | April 16, 2009 1:28 PM

Chris - you're kidding me.

I knew Madden would not be around forever but I don't think Chris is very good.

Posted by: rlj1 | April 16, 2009 1:02 PM

Collinsworth is good. He's no Madden, but he's still plenty good. I like it.

Posted by: tifoso1 | April 16, 2009 12:59 PM

Good News Bad News!
Madden is gone, good news!
Bad news, Collingsworth took his place!
The sound will be muted for sure now!

Posted by: tom9 | April 16, 2009 12:56 PM

I disagree with Clark...Time will prove Collinsworth to be an excellent choice.

Posted by: jacksprat1 | April 16, 2009 12:51 PM

Oh Crap! It just gets worse.

Posted by: clark202 | April 16, 2009 12:43 PM