The League

NFL News Feed

Attention to Favre No Longer Justified

Analysis

We all need to stop making such a fuss about the NFL's 21st-rated passer.

That's what Brett Favre was last season for the New York Jets, throwing 22 interceptions to go with his 22 touchdown passes. His team faded badly down the stretch and missed the playoffs, then fired Eric Mangini as its coach. Teammates were publicly critical of Favre.

He was a great quarterback.

He's not a great quarterback right now.

Does that mean it's not possible that he could play well for the Minnesota Vikings next season if he comes out of retirement again?

No, it doesn't mean that.

It would be possible. After all, he had an MVP-caliber season two years ago for the Green Bay Packers.

But the odds would seem to be against it. He simply hasn't been a good player with any consistency over the last four years. His totals over the last four seasons are 88 touchdown passes and 84 interceptions. He was terrible in 2005, mediocre in 2006, terrific in 2007 and below average last season.

Would that translate into being great next season and getting the Vikings to the Super Bowl?

Maybe.

But more likely, no.

He turns 40 in October. He's coming off a season with arm troubles.

Put aside all the narcissism, all the silliness, all the retiring and un-retiring. Just think about it from a pure football-playing perspective.

Do we care this much about Chad Pennington, Matt Schaub, Matt Cassel, Shaun Hill, Seneca Wallace, Trent Edwards, Jake Delhomme, Jason Campbell and David Garrard?

Maybe we should. They all ranked ahead of Favre in last season's NFL passer ratings. And they weren't alone.

He isn't No. 4 any more.

He's No. 21.

By Mark Maske  |  May 5, 2009; 9:51 PM ET  | Category:  Vikings Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Browns Sign Furrey | Next: Goodell Defends Longer Season

Comments

My case in point for those who love drama and don't take themselves to seriously ...
----------------------
...."Minnesota's governor is salivating at the thought of Brett Favre playing for the Vikings... Gov. Tim Pawlenty says putting the former Green Bay Packer in purple would be fun for fans. He says it would be "a wonderful little salt to rub in the eyes of some of our Green Bay Packer friends." .... Pawlenty laid out the scene: "Can you imagine Brett Favre going into Lambeau Field in Viking purple and maybe even wearing No. 4? There would be audible gasps."
---------------
This adds up to "Game of the week", ticket sale, ESPN's commercial revenue and much more...Brett Farve has clout you can bank on, like it or not

...and I'm finished with my 2 cents worth

Posted by: DD163 | May 6, 2009 6:35 PM

The 2 bit writer I had in mind was that bozo at SI, Don Banks

Posted by: DD163 | May 6, 2009 5:51 PM

Brett Farve is still better than half the starting QB's out there...Not only that but the NFL is "entertainment"...Brett Farve still brings fans to the stadium so he is a good investment. Some 2 bit writer without athletic skills telling Fans he is tired of the drama is a joke unto itself. I would pay to see him play anytime and any place and I have. I'm not a Farve fan but I am a season ticket holder of more than 12 years so I will put my money where my mouth is. I hope he comes back and kicks F*ing azz...and if he doesn't, that's fine too.

Posted by: DD163 | May 6, 2009 5:47 PM

My thinking is 'screw it.' Let him come back and further tarnish his reputation. I hope he comes back, sets some sort of turnover record through four or five games while leading Minnesota to a sub-.500 record, gets benched for the remainder of the year, and laughed at. Maybe he could demand a trade too.

Addi-Sports

Posted by: tim8282 | May 6, 2009 5:36 PM

It does have some people here in a frenzy. It's pretty funny to watch, honestly.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2009 5:32 PM

So let's see, both ESPN and CNNSI kinda support Minnesota's decision to check him out! No concern about building for the future and team chemistry.

Had the Redskins even brought his name up, it would have been Snyder fantasy football and Cerrato the enabler!!

I think it is absurd for any team sign Favre right now, but just bringing up the knee jerk anti-Redskins bias.

Ditto for Sanchez pick up. Everyone gave kudos to Jets for landing the QB of future. If Redskins had succeeded in getting him, ............

Screw the sports media, hail Redskins

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 6, 2009 10:57 AM

I just hope folks see him for who he truly is and not this wronged hero he portrays himself as. He back stabbed Green Bay and played games with them all along. He is a classless, selfish jerk, craving for his own wnats and desires. The NY Jets were foolish to get involved in the charade, but now they are the perfect tool to get him what he wants. i hope when the play the Packers, the people of Green bay get him as well as the players on the field.

Posted by: oknow1 | May 6, 2009 10:43 AM

But hey, he beat Roethlisberger in that regard who was rated 24th and Big Ben won the big game. But I can throw out some number too: Favre completed almost 66% of his passes (5th) and threw for almost 3400 yards (11th) last year and had those 22 TDs (9th). Thats still pretty darn good for an injured 39 year old who was sacked 30 times! But I digress; statistics aren't everything and if Brett wants to come back and his arm is healed then why not? It's not like Sage or Tavaris is going to be a much better option anyways, right?

Posted by: ozpunk | May 5, 2009 11:54 PM