The League

NFL News Feed

Ochocinco fined for 'bribe'

UPDATED (3:04 p.m.)...

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco was fined $20,000 by the league for his $1 "bribe" offer to an official during last Sunday's win over the Baltimore Ravens, according to multiple reports Friday.

According to the NFL's Web site, league officials determined that Ochocinco's gesture, although lighthearted, violated rules that prohibit the use of abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures toward game officials, and ban extraneous objects that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or sideline.

ESPN reported that the league also cited Ochocinco's use of the word "bribe" during his postgame comments.

Ochocinco held the dollar bill during an instant replay review of a potential catch by him. The review showed that Ochocinco's foot was out of bounds, nullifying the catch.

Ochocinco confirmed the fine, writing on Twitter: "I knew I was fined when I got the letter 4 days ago." He wrote later that he has "no problem paying the 20k fine" and plans to "match the fine and donate it to a good cause."

Ochocinco also asked President Barack Obama for help, asking on Twitter if the two can meet "to set up a fun rule please. I can't go to mcdonalds for 2 weeks now."

The wide receiver pledged that his antics are not about to be curtailed, writing on Twitter to "wait till you see what I do in Pittsburgh, remember I set aside fine fund before the season started, I'm just starting!!!"

By Mark Maske  |  November 13, 2009; 10:23 AM ET  | Category:  Bengals , Fines , League Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Concussion could sideline Morey | Next: Walker wants release from Raiders

Comments

LOL @ PJohn2 angrily defending the sanctity of football. Cry me a $20,000 river.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | November 13, 2009 8:06 PM

Another silly decision by the NFL - No Fun League. I am hoping that the new football league allows the players and fans to express themselves. This nonsense is what happens when you allow idiot lawyers (I know that is redundant) to run the league.

Posted by: Phillip258 | November 13, 2009 6:47 PM

Hey the rules are the rules and the punishments are the punishments. The funny thing is that the fine is that low and it would have been lower if he didn't have history. This particular instance was very lighthearted and funny and I am glad the fine is far less than charity money he probably already gives away, but the rule is there for more serious offenses and 20k for them is so low it is not a deterrent at all. Some of them say it is spontaneous, but it's funny you seldom see a minimum salary player being "spontaneous" because they cant afford the 20k.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | November 13, 2009 4:26 PM

Ochocinco for President !!

Posted by: CHAS4 | November 13, 2009 3:22 PM

$20K seems excessive for something that no reasonable person could have mistaken for a serious attempt to sway an official, as if such a thing could happen in the midst of a game, anyhow.

It is a little disturbing, however, how cavalier Chad O and other players act toward such fines in a year in which unemployment has topped 10%, millions are out of work or underemployed, people are losing their homes, etc. Do these players think so little of the meaning of the money they earn that they are willing to part with chunks of it simply to express their individuality, to "let their freak flags fly" as it were?

Remember years ago when Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor and other Skins knowingly and intentionally wore socks that did not comply with league rules on uniform items, and even after being fined thousands of dollars by the league, continued to wear the unapproved socks for another game or two (and incurred more fines as a result)? How does the average fan, who is all but squeezed out by ticket prices and so forth, come to grips with players almost giddily parting with tens of thousands of dollars a year, or more than many people earn in a year?

It's his money to lose, I suppose, but one hopes he doesn't expect much sympathy from fans who in some cases save up money in order to afford tickets to a single game to watch the Ochocincos and the others play.

Posted by: bmcconnell1 | November 13, 2009 2:50 PM

This guy is a self-serving idiot. Future "antics" should result in one-game suspensions. Football is a team sport and those who seek the spotlight with their asinine actions rather than their play should join the WWF. Idiots who like this bad behavior should go watch that also.

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 13, 2009 2:00 PM

It's fine Chad just cause some penalty, or soemthing so your next game has to go to it's hundredth commercial generating more ad revenue for the league and the higher ups will forgive you. Or you could do a pregame show with the Black Eyed Peas in a Ford F-150 while drinking Coors Light reenacting Donte Stallworth's accident... But seriously, Ocho is funny and the NFL needs to chill the heck out!

Posted by: ozpunk | November 13, 2009 12:14 PM

Bad move by the league. As someone said the other day, this was the perfect time for them to show a little humor. Fine the guy $1 and everyone has a laugh.

Sadly, laughter apparently isn't allowed in the No Fun League.

Posted by: js_edit | November 13, 2009 12:09 PM

lol...the more I read and see about Johnson the more I respect this cat. He is right. The league can NOT become like Dan Snyder...fining people for just doing what they do.

Posted by: cbmuzik | November 13, 2009 11:37 AM

I used to think Ocho Cinco was an a$$. But that was funny and I'm glad he's taking on the No Fun League. What a bunch of idiots. Chad, if you're reading this I don't have much but I'll contribute to your fine fund!!

Posted by: VeloStrummer | November 13, 2009 11:25 AM

I'm not a huge Ochocinco fan, but that was truly funny. The NFL has diminished its product to the point of sterility. Professional Bowlers have far more personality.

Posted by: bflorhodes | November 13, 2009 11:07 AM