Jets to release Jones on Friday
The New York Jets will release tailback Thomas Jones on Friday, the team announced.
"We have informed Thomas and his representatives that we will release him on March 5," Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said in a written statement. "Thomas joined us three years ago and has been a productive, passionate leader both on and off the field who has served as a positive influence for our younger players. We were fortunate to acquire him and we wish him the best."
There had been reports that the Jets were unwilling to pay Jones a $3 million roster bonus and the two sides could not agree to a restructured contract.
Jones turns 32 in August.
He has had five straight seasons with more than 1,100 rushing yards. He ran for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns this past season.
"When I got here, Thomas immediately became one of my guys," Jets Coach Rex Ryan said in a written statement posted on the team's Web site. "He had one of his best years last season--might have been his best. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a player and a person. As I said the other day, this is one of the tough decisions we had to make for our organization."
Please email us to report offensive comments.
Posted by: ozpunk | March 2, 2010 2:56 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.