Favre: No decision made on possible retirement
Quarterback Brett Favre told ESPN Wednesday he hasn't made a decision about retirement and will play for the Minnesota Vikings this season if he's healthy enough to do so.
Favre told the network that he plans to play a second season for the Vikings and a 20th season in the NFL if his surgically repaired ankle heals, but he has concerns about its current condition. Favre underwent ankle surgery in May.
According to ESPN, Favre denied informing some members of the Vikings organization in recent days that he intends to retire, and said a reported raise being offered by the Vikings for him to play another season will not be a factor in his decision.
"It's not about money," Favre told ESPN.
Favre told the network that he has a timetable in mind for making a decision but declined to specify what it is.
Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told the league-owned NFL Network that Favre has an appointment scheduled for next week to be examined by orthopedist James Andrews.
"As far as Brett is concerned, in spite of reports to the contrary, Brett's situation has nothing to do with his contract, but everything to do with his health and ability to contribute to that team and play at a level that he has been accustomed to playing over the years," Cook told the league's television channel. "Brett's ankle, which needed surgery since 2007, was surgically repaired this last spring by Dr. James Andrews. Until such time Brett feels he can play at a level that he expects of himself, no decision will be made.
"Brett has an appointment to see Dr. Andrews next week and will know more at that time. Brett continues working every day, rehabbing his ankle and will see after his visit with Dr. Andrews what his status is at that time."
Favre was at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss., Wednesday and warmed up with members of the school's football team, according to reports.
The Vikings are offering Favre a deal worth as much as $20 million, including $16 million in guaranteed money and an additional $4 million in possible incentives, to play this season, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.
Favre is scheduled to make $13 million this season, if he plays, under the terms of his current contract with the Vikings. He signed a two-year, $25 million deal with the club before last season.
An NFL source confirmed multiple reports Tuesday that Favre, who turns 41 in October, informed some members of the Vikings organization that he intends to retire. According to the Associated Press, Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said that Favre sent text messages to some players on the team saying he planned to retire.
Vikings Coach Brad Childress said at a news conference Tuesday that he hadn't been told by Favre that the quarterback will retire, and left open the possibility of Favre playing this season.
Favre led the Vikings to the NFC title game last season and finished fourth in the NFL most valuable player voting.
He has announced his retirement twice previously, only to return and play each time.
Please email us to report offensive comments.
Posted by: dcjazzman | August 5, 2010 12:24 AM
Posted by: eye95 | August 4, 2010 9:23 PM
Posted by: randysbailin | August 4, 2010 6:55 PM
Posted by: np2131 | August 4, 2010 6:27 PM
Posted by: detman | August 4, 2010 4:36 PM
Posted by: joerutgens72 | August 4, 2010 4:29 PM
Posted by: ozpunk | August 4, 2010 2:45 PM
Posted by: amer794 | August 4, 2010 2:36 PM
Posted by: rmcazz | August 4, 2010 2:11 PM
Posted by: Barno1 | August 4, 2010 1:22 PM
Posted by: pleitzke | August 4, 2010 1:07 PM
Posted by: rickywarner49 | August 4, 2010 1:07 PM
Posted by: Barno1 | August 4, 2010 1:04 PM
Posted by: JGibbs123 | August 4, 2010 1:03 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.