The League

NFL News Feed

Cowboys fire Wade Phillips

UPDATED (9:14 p.m.)...

The Dallas Cowboys fired Wade Phillips as their coach Monday, a day after a 45-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers dropped their record to 1-7.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones announced during a news conference at the team's training facility that he was elevating offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to head coach and promoting defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator. Jones said both appointments were made on an interim basis.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I have not done before," Jones said. "It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this past week. But at this time, I believe what's in the best interests of the organization and the fans is a coaching change."

Phillips became the first NFL head coach to be fired this season.

"I would like to express my sincere appreciation to the fans of the Cowboys and to the entire Jones family for all of the support that we received here in Dallas," Phillips said in a written statement released through the Cowboys. "I would also like to thank our coaches and players for their loyalty and dedication.

"I told the team today that I have been proud to be a part of their family, and that will never change. I have enjoyed the privilege and responsibility of representing this franchise as its head coach.

"I am disappointed in the results of this season to this point, but I am also very proud of what our team and our players accomplished in the previous three years. In good times and difficult times, our players stuck together and never lost hold of their belief in each other and the strong team bond that they have shared. Family and coaching football have always defined my life and I will always be grateful for my experiences here with the Dallas Cowboys."

The season began with the Cowboys hoping to play in the Super Bowl that they are to host in February at their second-year stadium in Arlington, Tex.

Instead, they have been one of the league's worst teams and are playing without injured quarterback Tony Romo.

"I think anybody involved in this organization, really from the top down, is disappointed with our season so far and how we got here," Garrett said at a news conference. "Having said that, we're all excited about what we're going to do going forward. This is about going forward. We have to put the first eight games of the season behind us. We need to learn from them and we need to go forward."

All of the previous coaching changes made by Jones, who purchased the Cowboys in 1989, came during the offseason. Until Sunday, Jones had been adamant in his public comments that he was not contemplating a coaching switch during this season, either.

"I did change my mind," Jones said Monday. "I want you to know that I changed my mind from as late as Saturday. I don't like the way that looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned--not my own self, but the organization. But I think it [the situation] called for it, and I recognized after the game that we just weren't playing winning football and our best chance was to make this change. Now, with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

After the Green Bay game, Jones told reporters that there would be "consequences" for the Cowboys' poor performance.

"I think there are a lot of people here that certainly are going to suffer and suffer the consequences," Jones said late Sunday, according to the Dallas Morning News. "I'm talking within the team, players, coaches. They've got careers and this is certainly a setback. I know first-hand what it is to have high expectations. I think that unquestionably our expectations were thinking we were something we weren't.... But again, we have so many things that we need to correct and address as this game so vividly exposed and previous games have.

"So I've got a lot of work to do, a lot of decisions to make and it's not just one, two, three or four. There are several decisions. I think everybody in this country would agree there's a lot wrong with this team. We've got to address them and certainly I'm the one to address them."

The Cowboys are on a five-game losing streak.

Phillips was in his fourth season with the Cowboys and had a regular season record of 34-22 as their coach. The Cowboys were 1-2 in the postseason under Phillips.

The Cowboys won the NFC East in two of the previous three seasons. They beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the first round of last season's playoffs for the franchise's first postseason triumph since December 1996, but suffered a 31-point defeat to the Minnesota Vikings in a conference semifinal.

This season began with great expectations for the Cowboys, but they were undone in large part by their own mistakes. They lost their season opener to the Washington Redskins after committing a turnover that led to a Redskins' touchdown on the final play of the first half and having an apparent game-winning touchdown nullified by a holding penalty on the game's final play.

Things got worse when Romo suffered a fractured left clavicle during a 41-35 loss to the New York Giants last month. The Cowboys have lost two more games with backup Jon Kitna starting at quarterback and, according to the Morning News, Phillips said at his postgame news conference Sunday night in Green Bay that "we looked like a bad team, with bad coaching. That's the way we played."

The Cowboys are winless this season in four games at home. They are ranked 10th in the league in total offense. But their defense, until now overseen by Phillips, is ranked 17th in the league overall. The Cowboys are ranked 31st in the NFL in scoring defense.

Jones said he told Cowboys players that they should not consider the coaching change "an admission of defeat or finality" for the season.

But he said the Cowboys "also clearly understand we are not where we want to be at this time, and that's an understatement. We also share the responsibility in that, all of us."

Garrett will be given a chance to retain the head coaching job beyond this season, Jones said.

"I do believe that Jason has the temperament, he has the disposition to effect a culture change," Jones said. "I think this is important."

The Cowboys play the Giants, the NFC East leaders, on Sunday at the Meadowlands. It will be the NFL head coaching debut for Garrett, once the Cowboys' backup quarterback behind Troy Aikman.

Garrett was considered a rising star in the NFL coaching ranks when the Cowboys hired him away from the Miami Dolphins in 2007, then signed him to a $3 million-a-year contract extension in January 2008 to keep Garrett with the team after he interviewed for head coaching vacancies in Baltimore and Atlanta.

"All I can do is be who I am in this role," Garrett said. "... What we're going to try to do is restore that tradition that this organization has had for so long, 50 years."

By Mark Maske  |  November 8, 2010; 3:10 PM ET  | Category:  Cowboys Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Bills claim Shawne Merriman | Next: Vikings fire Brad Childress as coach

Comments

1-7 bottom-feeding at the Division trough, QB sidelined with a broken collarbone, head coach fired. Yes, Dallas is truly "America's Team" - have you seen the state of this country lately ??!!

Posted by: DevH | November 8, 2010 10:30 PM

ever wonder why the NFL is is much more efficient, effective and economical than the federal govt???

Posted by: ProCounsel

No, I haven't. Let's have them build an interstate highway during the off season and see how they do.

Posted by: James10 | November 8, 2010 10:18 PM

Wow, it really sucks when both the Skins and the Pokes stink. I miss the days when they were fighting it out tooth and nail.

Posted by: teeballou | November 8, 2010 10:03 PM

I am a black girl and I met a white guy on __...Black White Meet . com...___ recently. What's your idea about interracial marriage? Black White Meet . C om is a dating club for interracial singles to have fun together. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish! I like this club, please show me your idea here.

Posted by: abulaw | November 8, 2010 9:41 PM

It just goes to show that Dallas built a stadium for giants, but produced a wimpy football team.
Jerry I think the lesson learnt is that money can't buy you love.

Posted by: JillCalifornia | November 8, 2010 7:54 PM

wade phillips 1-7 FIRED

nancy pelosi 0-63
so she seeks another term as dem leader

Posted by: ProCounsel | November 8, 2010 7:43 PM

This is a perfect example of why owners should be in business and coaches and football professionals should do football decisions. The Danny learned all he knows from Jerry Jones.

Posted by: mriley0223 | November 8, 2010 7:42 PM

No. Don't cling to that one either.

We know we have a very average team at best.

We're just reveling that you stink that terribly.

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 7:10 PM

Wow! This site:

Both cheaper and fashion, and good products.

Purchase will have small gift to send.

http://www.bizboysell.com was a good site.

Like this discovery.

Posted by: itkonlyyou371 | November 8, 2010 6:59 PM

As an Eagles fan I have to say – DAMN!!!!!!!

What Wade Phillips did to Doug Flutie gave him bad JuJu.

With Flutie at quarterback, Buffalo reached the playoffs in 1999 for the second consecutive season with Phillips as the head coach. Before the playoff opener at Tennessee, Phillips shockingly switched quarterbacks, removing Flutie in favor of backup Rob Johnson.

Posted by: question-guy | November 8, 2010 6:36 PM

The Cowboys are losing. The head coach is fired. Jerry jones is upset. Can life get any better!

Posted by: Jimof1913 | November 8, 2010 6:34 PM

I wouldn't get too cocky yet Skins fans .. you've got one space cadet head coach there yourselves.

Admit it, you're concerned.

Posted by: tslats | November 8, 2010 6:23 PM

This is the most enjoyable football season since?????????????? And the genius who calls the plays is moving up?

Even Gil Steinke couldn't win with this bunch of old divas.

Posted by: rusty3 | November 8, 2010 6:00 PM

How about dem COWBOYS?? =)

Posted by: Robbnitafl | November 8, 2010 5:55 PM

The problem with the Cowboys is they haven't had a head coach since Bill Parcells- just Jerry Jones and a bunch of assistants. Wade never was the head coach.

Posted by: oldftrplt | November 8, 2010 5:47 PM

In my opinion, the root of the problem is Jason Garrett's play calling. Last night he only called 14 running plays, and it's been like that all season. Anyone who has been around the NFL knows that if you run the ball less than 20 times a game, odds are you will lose. If you run the ball 30 times or more a game, it's almost certain that you will win. If Jason Garrett expects to win, he nees to run the ball.

Posted by: wapocensorsbite | November 8, 2010 5:26 PM

Here's one Giants fan who hopes L'il Abner gets to see the Super Bowl from the owner's box -- while serving drinks and popcorn to the Mara family and their guests.

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | November 8, 2010 5:19 PM

I am so angry right now that Wade is gone. With him in there, the Cowboys played with no heart or desire, and I loved every minute of it!

BRING BACK WADE! BRING BACK WADE!

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 8, 2010 5:18 PM

1. The Cowboys have some good players. They do not have a team.
2. The media drank the Jerry Jones Kool Aid with respect to the Cowboy's ability. They were blinded by the propaganda of the flamboyant Texan.
3. Wade Phillips is a good guy. He may be a great co-ordinator but not a head coach. Too bad. He has some great genes of football coaching.
4. Jerry Jones won't have a Bill Parcell's coaching the team. Bill Cower? No. Jones wants a front man for coach and do the coaching himself. Too bad for the players.
5. Pride goes before the fall. Seventh deadly sin.

Posted by: diamond2 | November 8, 2010 5:11 PM

BRING ME SOME SHRUBBERY !

Posted by: pejochum | November 8, 2010 5:09 PM

Move that had to be made for the Cowboys. There roster is loaded with stars that can't play together. Watching them, you just wonder how on earth they are self-destructing. Sad to watch. Only thing now is, their are probably going to be upset and play better the rest of year. Skins still have a game against them, and they are going to be looking for revenge. Be interesting to see how Jason Garret does as coach. He may be the turnaround they need now that they have been so embarrassed.

Posted by: skins50 | November 8, 2010 5:01 PM

Bunch of Millionaires, playing a game. Badly.

Posted by: allknowingguy | November 8, 2010 4:55 PM

Dismissal of arguably one of the best coaching minds in Dallas history is certainly a loss. Not as much as being embarrassingly humiliated on national TV like last night, but distressing all the same. I hope Jones has the foresight to realize that Romo is a shoe-in for starting quarterback for years and years to come. I'd hate to see another quality individual succumb to the "fall guy" status they certainly couldn't possibly share in having created. You just shouldn't unduly and hastily disassemble such a proven winning commodity.

Paid for by the Redskins fan guild for keeping present Cowboys roster and schemes intact for as looooooooooong as possible.

BTW - anybody see the size of that hole the 'gurlz' defense opened up last night. Bedridden grandmother's could have run through it. Moses could have evacuated all of Egypt through it. It was wonderous to behold such a thing at the 'professional' level.

And yes. I do agree that retracting the 'America's team' marketing placard from them is due.

We're winners afterall and don't appreciate these frauds pretending to represent us.

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 4:54 PM

We're winners afterall and don't appreciate these loser frauds pretending to represent us.

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 4:48 PM

I would like to second the nomination for Steve Spurrier to be foisted upon the Cowboys!

Good luck with THAT Cowboys!

Posted by: FredEvil | November 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 4:46 PM

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 8, 2010 4:45 PM

Jerry Jones is not the worst owner. SNYDER IS. Wade Phillips should sign on with the Deadskins. Then, we can have not one, but two, incompetent ooaches. Go get him, Danny Boy.

Posted by: sameolddoc | November 8, 2010 4:38 PM

ok, one more Redskins win this season...

Posted by: j762 | November 8, 2010 4:37 PM

Whatever haters...I do recall a 4-12 season with Zorn firmly in place. Laugh now but we'll see who gets the last laugh!
I see McNabb being benched and the wheels falling off the Deadskin's bus with Mike "I'm always right" Shanahah's at the helm.

Posted by: Walkernupe2 | November 8, 2010 4:31 PM

Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones there's a match made in heaven.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 8, 2010 4:26 PM

There is indeed something purely wholesome about watching Dallas implode. But it would be much nicer if the Skins were getting their house in order at the same time. Given that we have no serious backup to McNabb, there is legitimate concern that we might go into a freefall as well. We shouldn't kid ourselves; it's still pretty dismal when crowing about someone else's problems is still the best we can do most of the time.

Posted by: mbcnewspaper | November 8, 2010 4:25 PM

Ahhhhh... feels good, doesn't it? Watching the Cowboys completely crap the bed last night was hilarious.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 8, 2010 4:17 PM

Sorry, I just really like reading that paragraph. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: js_edit | November 8, 2010 4:14 PM

For a moment I thought they were talking about 'Skins:

Phillips is just the fall guy here. The fact that Jones is doing the work is the common denominator to every part of his ownership in which his team has suffered disappointments. When he steps aside, keeps his considerable ego in check and lets people like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells build his teams, things tend to go very well. But as it is with his inner Steinbrenner, Jones can't help but tinker with, and take credit for, the work of others. Yes-men like Phillips and ex-head coach Dave Campo are little more than doorstops. Garrett will likely fit that same profile, given half a season to prove himself with a lame-duck team and an offense he already has trouble running.

"I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers," Jones concluded. The quote was an attempt at humor, but there's some hidden insight there as well. Jones and his son Stephen are not currently capable of assembling an NFL team. Their last two drafts have been horrible, the Roy Williams trade is still hurting the team, and the current administration sends too much time and money on flash positions. This is a team with $30 million in guaranteed money for 2010 invested in its top three receivers, but little semblance of an offensive line. Inside linebackers Keith Brooking(notes) and Bradie James(notes) are getting abused in coverage, but second-round pick Sean Lee(notes), who excelled in coverage at Penn State, can't seem to see the field even after he has recovered from early injuries.

Posted by: thor2 | November 8, 2010 4:11 PM

I totally enjoyed last night. Can't we have more like it?

But wait: Are they still "America's Team?" If so, I don't like that they embarrass my country.

Posted by: 1observer | November 8, 2010 4:09 PM

"Now Jerrah...you know tha' the rea' problem is you!" Awww, than's fo' thuh suppor' mamma!

Posted by: Misty630 | November 8, 2010 4:07 PM

Jerry Jones is the 500 pound gorilla in the room. He needs to cede some authority to his head coach. Jerry, you are a billionaire oil-man, not a coach. Get that through your skull.

Posted by: BigB1 | November 8, 2010 4:06 PM

This is to bad, Phillips was destined to keep the Cowboys medicore for as long as he was coaching, which was fine with me.

Posted by: zackool | November 8, 2010 4:05 PM

Maybe they could hire a Shanahan.

Posted by: manitocat | November 8, 2010 3:59 PM

Jerry Jones should hire Jerry Jones
the cowgirls suck

Posted by: mha31353 | November 8, 2010 3:57 PM

Get those Dallas flags out DC cowgirls fans, show how proud you are of your team. Fly them high and proud from your cars.

Posted by: acindc007 | November 8, 2010 3:57 PM

Total shock!

Now the C'boys'll get back on the path to the Super Bowl ...

Posted by: clitteigh | November 8, 2010 3:56 PM

Maybe Jerry should hire Matt Millen to coach the team. He did such a stellar job in Detroit.

Posted by: dcp26851 | November 8, 2010 3:54 PM

They wanted to play in this year's Super Bowl? What made them think they had progressed that much in the off season? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: forgetthis | November 8, 2010 3:53 PM

NOOOOOO!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the smackdown they got last night. I'm not sure it was really Phillips fault anyway.

It's hard to get excited about playing when John Kitna is your quarterback.

Posted by: dcp26851 | November 8, 2010 3:50 PM

I can't stop laughing! This is simply the best! LMAO!!!!

Posted by: linroy62 | November 8, 2010 3:49 PM

Jerry Jones should hire Steve Spirrier.

The Cowboy's Suck !!!!!!!

Posted by: Wilbonsucks | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM