The League

David Aldridge
Sports Reporter

David Aldridge

A nationally recognized sports journalist.

Not the NFL's Problem

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

We're seeking a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Three players have been shot in the last year or so. One was in his home; one was in his car. THEY didn't do the shooting. They were SHOT. I think the NFL has a whole host of problems--most importantly, the issue of domestic violence with so many of its players--but players using guns isn't one of them.

As far as a league-mandated curfew, I believe in the Cedric the Entertainer philosophy: "I'm a grown a-- man, dog." Adults are free to act as stupidly as the law will allow--and, obviously, they often go well past what the law will allow.

And what's with that picture of me? I look like I was just roused from a deep nap and had a microphone shoved into my hand seconds before the Celtics and Lakers took the floor. "Whaaa...Finals?"

By David Aldridge  |  September 3, 2008; 7:27 AM ET  | Category:  Crime , Emil Steiner , NFL , Roger Goodell Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Education Over Legislation | Next: It's Doing Enough

Comments

Right on David, makes a great point, "dont shoot Cedric the entertainer"

Posted by: Harith | September 3, 2008 11:23 AM

I am not sure the league can do anything, but if you are an NFL team doesn't the money invested in these players require you put in some rules to help your players avoid bad situations. To me this is up to each individual NFL team.

Posted by: George Templeton | September 3, 2008 12:26 PM

Hey David-
Do the names Chris Henry or Pacman Jones come to mind? Guns and drugs are very much an NFL problem.

Posted by: JKroll | September 3, 2008 1:11 PM

You're right. This isn't an NFL problem. It is an American problem. How many other males have been shot during the same time period who weren't given headline coverage or curfew musings.

The NFL is a business. The players are employees. If an employee of any other business were shot "off the property" would the management of that business consider imposing curfews? Even on their high paid corporate executives?

C'mon now. These young men need the same wise counsel I gave my own son when he was their age. Don't put yourself in harm's way. The reality is that you are more likely to get hurt by someone in some places, and during particular hours, than others. If you are grown enough to do whatever you wish, you are grown enough to cover your own back.

Posted by: Debby | September 3, 2008 2:00 PM

It is the nfl's problem. If the players and the game are the NFL's product, then perception of the players and the league is the nfl's problem. These problems are tarnishing the image of the league

Posted by: JC3 | September 3, 2008 2:39 PM

It is no more the NFL's problem then it is the NBA's problem. It is a cultural problem and when the black community ever wakes up and realizes that half of its young men are in prison then things will change.

Posted by: Jay | September 3, 2008 4:35 PM

To me, these are "issues" because of society's emotional investment in the leagues, teams and players. However, I don't believe they care an ounce any time its cities lose a teenage "Andre Jackson" or "Mike Smith" to a gun shot or violent crime.

These are adults.

You can't give men 22-35 years old a curfew. If you want them to make better decisions before they reach "your" teams ... do something about "your" city's education system before they get there.

Posted by: Van | September 3, 2008 5:00 PM

I agree, what are you going to educate them about ? Learn to duck and wear a bulletproof vest?

Posted by: YES | September 3, 2008 6:48 PM

Dave
You are right. This is a societal problem. Anything can happen at anytime, but I guarantee you that you wont catch me out on a weeknight at 2:45am. Being out doesnt make you a criminal but the main people that are out and about are 1) people getting into trouble and 2)the people that are trying to arrest them.

Posted by: phat mike | September 3, 2008 9:54 PM