The League

Sam Huff
Guest Contributor

Sam Huff

Hall of Fame Linebacker, Redskins Radio Analyst

A Lombardi, Landry Ticket

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

They're no longer with us, but the coaches from the past who come to mind for me are Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry.

Lombardi was the greatest football coach of all time. Who was going to stand up to him and tell him that he was doing something wrong?

I knew him back when he coached the New York Giants. He and Landry were both there [as assistant coaches] when I got there [in 1956]. They worked together. Landry ran the defense and Lombardi ran the offense. Landry coached the special teams, too. You can't get the Democrats and Republicans to work together, but Lombardi and Landry worked together.

They were both great leaders. That's the difference. It's about leadership. They were both very religious. They went to different churches, but they were able to work together. Lombardi swore a lot. Landry didn't. Landry just looked at you. When he looked at you, you almost wished he swore at you instead. You could read his mind, like he was saying, "Why in the hell did you just do that?"

I started with Tom Landry and ended with Vince Lombardi in 1969 with the Redskins. How can you do better than that? I was blessed. The country could use leaders like those guys.

By Sam Huff  |  October 31, 2008; 12:08 PM ET  | Category:  NFL Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Could Fisher Fix America? | Next: Dungy-Manning White House

Comments

sam it would be great seen both men in action.i would make you secatary of state.
we need more line backers like you for the skins.
take care
love you on radio
joe manuel
a fan since 1941 my first game dec 7 1941.i still go all the game.i live in bethany beack de.
just trun 78.
could you say hi to me on the radio.thank you
joe manuel

Posted by: joe manuel | November 2, 2008 11:51 AM

You're full of chit sam. Stick
with football, your field of
"expertise" !!

But if you got to allude to jocks
for 'pres, my vote would go to
Jim Taylor - an old L>S>U> tiger
who ran through your azz on many
occasions !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Knowinso Jones | November 2, 2008 2:59 PM

Yes, Sam, you were lucky. But I grew up watching you, and I'd say I was pretty lucky, too. You were the best ever, in my book.

Posted by: bdwoot | November 2, 2008 5:15 PM

grew up watching you. played linebacker only defense. married a girl named samantha and of course named my first son what else sammy love you mr huff thanks for all theose great sundays watching you and y.a. et al. michael

Posted by: michael shimansky | November 2, 2008 7:18 PM

Sam, you are still one of the greatest of all time. Your assessment of Landry and Lombardi could not be further from the thruth. Way to go big guy.

Posted by: myron lofton | November 2, 2008 10:35 PM

Lombardi was successful, no doubt, but I doubt he'd play well to labor. Once, a player dared to bring an agent to a contract negotiating session with him. Lombardi excused himself for five minutes, came back, and informed the player that he and his agent should now address their contract concerns to the owners of the Philadelphia Eagles, to which he had been traded.

Posted by: Gary | November 3, 2008 7:20 AM

See.....some sanity at last. Mr. Sam Huff knows his stuff. 2 *QUALITY* Americans. Could be the very FIRST dual and/or co-presidency. EITHER man would be able to handle EVERY situation with cool calm clarity and decisiveness. Where do I go to vote for them?!?!?!?!?

Posted by: Bigrcube | November 3, 2008 9:08 AM

Too bad Lombardi smoked. That was his achilles heel.

By the way, did you know that Obama smokes?

Posted by: Fred | November 3, 2008 9:10 AM