The League

Joe Theismann
Former Redskins quarterback, broadcaster

Joe Theismann

Former Redskins quarterback, broadcaster

Money Creates Security

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

I played with broken ribs, broken fingers, a broken collarbone. The player puts more pressure on himself than the coach does. Today, coaches defer to the medical staff. Twenty or 25 years ago, medical staffs deferred to coaches. If a coach wanted you to play, all he had to do was walk into the training room while you were sitting there and say, "So, can you go today?" That's all it took.

It's different today because of the money and the salary cap. If I didn't play, someone might take my job. Today, no one is going to take Tony Romo's job if he doesn't play. No one is going to take Jason Witten's job if he doesn't play. The money has bought job security for certain players. I don't think the players' desire to play has changed much. But the way teams approach injuries has changed. If I've invested a lot of money in you as a player and I put you on the field while you're hurt, am I risking losing you for a week or for the whole season? That's a consideration.

By Joe Theismann  |  October 29, 2008; 1:51 PM ET  | Category:  Medical , NFL Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Their Own Worst Enemies | Next: Can't Make the Club in the Tub

Comments

"I played with broken ribs, broken fingers, a broken collarbone."

A broken collarbone? Wow. Just wow.

I assume you also played using a lot of heavy duty pain-killers, too.

Posted by: charlie | October 30, 2008 11:32 AM

I guess JoeyT drew the limit of continuing to play with that broken leg...;)P

Posted by: Fred | October 30, 2008 11:38 AM

Workhorse Joe! It's such a different game these days. No more interchangeable assets.

Here's an idea that could work: instead of individual players getting a salary, teams would work their budget by position - You could reward players not just by calling them a starter, but by paying them to be a starter. No more front loaded rookie contracts!!

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | October 30, 2008 11:52 AM

Joe,

I just wanted to say how happy I was not to see you the MNF booth last year.

You tend to repeat the most obvious over and over.

You're far from any sort of intellectual and not having to put up with your voice while watching football has been a delight.

-Kenneth

Posted by: Kenneth | October 30, 2008 12:57 PM

Hey Joe;
Most of us really miss you on MNF.
Someone made a stupid decision letting you go.
I wish you well in the future.
I'm a die hard redskin fan and you provided
some of the most exciting times with the Redskins. I always think back to the game against the cowboys where you scored there only points.
Take Care Joe,
and Go Redskins!!!

Posted by: Bob | October 30, 2008 1:14 PM

I can't beleive that any 'Skins fan would have anything but love, praise and support for Joe. The man won us a Superbowl and always played with heart. Tony Kornheiser is a punk compared to Joe, any way you stack it!

Posted by: chris in oxon hill | October 30, 2008 2:39 PM

Yes, Joe did some great things for the Redskins, but he's simply a terrible announcer. I had to watch some games on mute.

Kornheiser isn't very good either, but compared to Theisman, Kornheiser sounds like an insightful genius.

But what do you expect from someone who changed the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with Heisman?

Plus, if Joe was any good at announcing, don't you think some other network would've gave him a contract?

They say that its difficult to remember pain, but I remember the pain vividly of hearing him announce games.

Posted by: Kenneth | October 30, 2008 3:30 PM

I'm from Nepal and English is my second language.

Even when I had only a basic understanding of English and American football, it was obvious to me how terrible J. Thiesman was at announcing. Having no real knowledge of his prior playing career, I was amazed that he was able to keep his announcing gig for so long.

For me, not having Joe in the booth makes it easier to watch SNF.

Posted by: Binesh | October 30, 2008 3:52 PM

Please, we all know he wasn't the best (and I can't think of any worse besides Dierdorf) but we should support 'skins alum.

He was a pretty awful announcer though.

Posted by: JamMaster II | October 30, 2008 4:51 PM