The League

Cindy Kagan
National Blogger

Cindy Kagan

Head writer and editor of Football news from a chick

Goodell, Sic Him!

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

So says mega source news outlets, such as ESPN/NFL.Com, all stating multiple sources. My honest and uncut opinion is NONE of the League felons, should ever be allowed to play again, for any reason. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

I understand these "felons" did their time, or paid for whatever sorry excuse they've given. However how does it look to children that look up to these men? Knowing they've hurt animals, were perhaps involved in strip club shoot outs, traffic stops with guns in their waste bands etc. Seriously, what sort of message is that sending?

These are not thugs, they are high paid athletes and rightfully so - they lay their bodies on the line every Sunday. But to see the same repeat offenders 2, 3, 4 game suspension, it cannot be good for society as a whole.

I'm the wrong person to ask about Michael Vick anyway: I don't like him as a person, I don't condone ANY of what he did and I've even been called a racists for that. Why? Because some have told me "dog fighting" is accepted in "certain" cultures. NOT in any culture I've ever come across. I don't know anyone that would condone ANY of the leagues' felons for their behavior. Roger Goodell needs to sit down and seriously remember that Michael Vick lied to him, when the first investigation started. He told Mr. Goodell that he was NOT involved.

It's not even the dog fighting that sent Michael Vick to jail; it's the whole LYING to the federal investigators that actually got Vick put behind bars.

If Roger wants to reinstate him so be it. If he only gets a 4 game suspension, so be it. Remember though, what team is going to pick this PR nightmare up? What team wants thousands of animal rights activists hanging around the facility day in and day out?

Some say he's bound for glory to the UFL, fine... See ya!

By Cindy Kagan  |  July 24, 2009; 3:54 PM ET  | Category:  Atlanta Falcons , Crime , Michael Vick , Roger Goodell Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Vick Must Show Humility | Next: Don't Mess With Big Blue

Comments

It's over...o.k., he funded the fighting of dogs; we have people who fund the fighting of human beings and they're not punished. The man did his time...you animal rights lovers really bug me. It's o.k. to love your animal, but throwing blood and paint on people because they chose to wear a mink is a serious sign of sickness. I'm reminded of that beautiful song about Angels that's been ruined in my eyes by Animal Rights lover who've overused it to portray ugly dogs to solicit funds for their obsession. Look, vets put dogs down everyday because they can't find an owner for them...talking about cruel, but you don't see the Animal Rights lovers protesting them. Get a life people, they're just dogs!

And woman close your mouth...you look like a big freak!

Posted by: Beingsensible | July 24, 2009 4:56 PM

I can't close my mouth, I'm yelling at my team LOL!

It's got nothing to do with me being an animal rights activists, although i am persay.......it's the fact that KNOWN felons should not be playing Pro anything, anywhere, at anytime. Just like our everyday felons that walk the streets of my beloved city. What do they get to do? not a whole he## of a lot!

Remeber he LIED to the FEDS, that's what started his demise to big bubba's cell block row 8. Not the fact that he killed dogs, for sport!

Hey but you make sure you have a great weekend & thanks for reading my blurp here, it's been a total honor to even be asked to submit my thoughts to the Washington Post!

Posted by: ck0712 | July 24, 2009 5:14 PM

Vick committed evil acts. He should be banished, forever, from the NFL.

He is a disgrace to humanity, a disgrace to the NFL and he would be a disgrace to any team that signed him.

No corporate entity should get within a thousand miles of that monster.

Posted by: DagnyT | July 24, 2009 6:54 PM

The people who should be banished are you chuckle heads think a person should be banished from making a living based on your beliefs. Vick has paid for his crime and you want to keep kicking him.
When does it end? He didn't kill anyone. He didn't rob anyone.
Too bad (or good) you don't feel the same about pork, beef, fish and fowl. If you did a lot of us would go hungry.

Posted by: malcohm | July 25, 2009 12:18 AM

malcohm ,

I'm the girl that wrote the above blurp as i'm sure everyone has realized by now. I can assure you i'm far from being a "chucklehead" but thank u, for thinking of me!

You missed the whole point of my write up:

NO FELON, none of them should play ever!.....i'm not sure, but it seems to me i'm repeating myself over & over again....1 more time kids:
NO FELON should play PRO SPORTS anywhere, at anytime.

Don't do the crimes if you can't do the times!

Vick can make a living doing whatever he chooses. Just as long as he stays far away from dogs.

I'm not kicking anyone except ROGER, who is not paying attention to what is quickly becoming the "national felon league"

Vick will play football, that much is clear, however i do not see it happening in the NFL........UFL yes. Let's hope he lives up to what he ONCE WAS......somehow i don't see "prison arm" being all that good or worth ALL the hype he's receiving!

Just so everyone's clear on this: NO FELON, should play professional sports.
No kids should look at a known felon and think that's the way to live, do a crime and slide right back into where you left off.........

Posted by: ck0712 | July 25, 2009 7:52 AM

Consider that all the professional athletes who are money makers for their industry will be allowed to play their sport no matter WHAT they have done. The old fashioned fantasies about character building and athletes as role models? Revealed for the complete lies they are in these times. Of course he'll play.

Posted by: dubmax | July 25, 2009 7:58 AM

I'm sorry Dubmax, but I have to disagree on that point. We have a lot of professional athletes that punch the clock day in & day out. Lay their bodies on the line every Sunday and never ever get in trouble with anyone for any reason. Those are the professional athletes that deserve SO MUCH PRESS COVERAGE, SO MUCH BLOGGER TIME.......

Hence I must not forget, all the ones who did get in trouble and when they were slapped around a bit by the Commish, they walked the straight & narrow.

Posted by: ck0712 | July 25, 2009 9:00 AM

If he does play, I would hope that the defensive tackles put him in a world of hurt - and his own offensive linemen might "accidentally" allow one of the opposition through the line.

And, if he plays, you can be sure that I will not watch his games nor will I buy anything from the sponsors of those games. The only way you can hurt these idiots is in the pocket book.

Posted by: Utahreb | July 25, 2009 9:55 AM

There is no consitutional right to play in the NFL. His behaviour was so abhorrent and went on for so long that he the privilege of playing in the NFL must be denied him. Vick lied about his involvement to not only the owner of The Falcons but to Goddell as well.

The attitude that just because he did time in prison he should be granted the right to multi-million dollar contracts in the NFL is bizarre. This was not getting into a fight with another player on the field. This was disgusting behaviour that he financed and participated in for a long time. Ban him from the NFL for life.

Posted by: mjkoch* | July 25, 2009 10:31 AM

Bid Vick to the highest buyer in the most obscure football league in the world, excluding soccer. Ant team that wants this abuser will have a lot of grief from Vick and the fans.

Posted by: sperrico | July 25, 2009 11:13 AM

I agree with beingsensible regarding you animal lovers. With people starving all over the world, including the U.S., this country has more gourmet dog food then the resources necessary to take care of PEOPLE with little or no food! It is ridiculous that people would consider picketing stadiums and pressuring owners over this matter. Remember, even though he was punished for lying, most still believe it was the dogfighting that sent him to jail. The man served his time, has been ruined financially, and people still won't let this crap go. Get over it and let the man earn a living, if he is still good enough to play!

Posted by: thinkfirst1 | July 25, 2009 12:48 PM

ThinkFirst,

Just out of curiosity, if Vick weren't a football star, would you care about his ability to make a living? It doesn't seem like much of a basis for re-instating him -- can't he eke out a living doing real work just like the rest of us?

And is there no one else you'd rather support than Vick? There are lots of talented people out there who would love that spot in the NFL...why not support them?

Posted by: TommyD5 | July 25, 2009 3:44 PM

I have to agree with Cindy, do a felony and pack it in. Professional athletes earn a tremendous amount of money for their services and as an employer I would expect them to act like a professional at all times.

Minimum salary for a NFL rookie is 285,000. Almost 99% of America earns less than that and so I think you need to behave in a manner suited to that type of status. It's not like the athlete is prevented from earning a normal living then like the rest of us.

Posted by: aow0526 | July 25, 2009 6:51 PM

Everything everyone is saying about Vick is true. Including you Ms Know All, I guess you have never sin, that's what makes you a saint and an expert in justice.
Please check your closet, how many skeletons? It is true Vick partake in an abhorrent practices, from his cruel, inhumane,and sick actions to those animals, but wasn't Vick sentensed to jail for his criminal actions? Didn't Vicks pay for his actions under the criminal justice
system in one of the worst prisons in the country? Why would any normal person
call for double jeopardy in Vicks case, punished by the Nation's justice system, and now by NFL. I'm of the opinion that Vick should be given another chance to earn a living, for his sake and his Children's sake. How can we justify an athlete that has murder in his resume walk away with a wrist slap in the NFL, and one with dog fighting is crucified more than necessary. Let's make no mistake, Pit Bulls are not Angelic dogs. Why then ruin a human career over a pit bull or several pit bulls even when the offender has served years in jail for his crime. It is amazing that NFL owners are afraid of animal rights society while abandoning the human rights society. Pit Bulls should be
banned in this country anyway.
Cindy, those who called you a racist are not much deviated from truth, why is it OK with you for Vick to play in the UFL and not the NFL? You are just a jealous lousy sorry excuse for a dumb blond.

Posted by: abxinc | July 25, 2009 9:09 PM

So what's the appropriate punishment for what the author has done to the English language?

Posted by: MBinDC | July 25, 2009 9:54 PM

I honestly think many are out for revenge rather than justice and retribution. On many of these post I hear things that sound just as bad as what Vick did (they should sic the dogs on him or that he should rot in hell among other things). What kind of example is that to are kids?

I think one of problems in this country is that we do not try to rehabilitate our "EX-felons" (people who did horrible things in the past but paid there debt, according to the laws of the legal system).

Now I am not trying to excuse anyone's behavior, I am very conservative on crime (especially for celebrities, athletes and politicans that seem to be applied to different standards) but I think one of the main goals of the criminal justice system is to punish people for their bad behavior while trying to make that person a "normal" citizen again.

I just feel like in this case many people are trying to make AN EXAMPLE out of Vick, which I would have to said is unfair with the logic that the criminal justice system is SUPPOSE to be blind in it's implementation of justice and a respecter of no persons...meaning that whether you are the "lowest of people" or the "highest of people" the punishment should be the same IN RESPECT to the facts of the case.

I understand people's beef against Vick, especially animal-lovers, but I was thinking about it this way, what if Vick was not a celebrity but a regular guy. Would he not be able to go back to life he had before he went to jail, or would he have to be stigmatized and punished "indefinitely"(ironically I think this is an example of his celebrity status working against him, in order to prove a point)?

Posted by: JON2121114 | July 25, 2009 10:33 PM

aow0526,
YES! that was my whole point! Perfect! thank you for reading what i wrote & for understanding what i wrote!

MBinDC,
No punishment, rough & uncut, is my style sometimes. I rather like being able to post my thoughts at times, without always being politically correct. I used spell check LOL!

abxinc,
Seriously? "ms know it all", "MRS". Know it all and i'm far from that. I think you missed the point of my posting here.

You see abxinc, I said about 15 times already, I don't CARE IF HE PLAYS. The UFL right now is the only league willing to pick him up. What i do care about is what the league is turning into!

You are just a jealous lousy sorry excuse for a dumb blond.

Not jealous, not by a long shot. I haven't the arm to be a QB. Now a RB , yes, i can tear up the downs!-Oh BTW RB stand for running back.

I'm sorry you feel i'm a dumb blond, but i rather like being who i am & thanks for reading :)

JON2121114 ,
That very well could be true & that's an awesome point you bring up! Alot of the high profile athletes are celebrities and with that comes a stigmata. One we should be able to look up to. they are human though & stumble at times.
But i stick by what i said...people call the NFL the "No Fun League" or they call it "The National Felon League", the later saddens me. It should not be that way at all!

Posted by: ck0712 | July 26, 2009 6:36 AM

BTW I really would like to thank everyone that came & read this and left their thoughts!

Have a great day!

Posted by: ck0712 | July 26, 2009 7:26 AM

I don't think you're racist. You have a right to your opinion just like everyone else. Now here is my opinion. I am a black man and I have had a brush with the law. My question is where is the forgiveness? You said you understood that he has done his time, but I think that these matters should be considered on a case by case basis. There should never be a decision that just because you are a felon that you should be banned from your line of work. And as far as the message being sent to children, it is the parents responsibility to teach there children about these matters. You can't shut people out once they have done something wrong (I'm not talking about repeat offenders). Everyone deserves a second chance. I wonder what you would do if you were in this position.

Posted by: rayoflite916 | July 26, 2009 9:02 AM

Oh so NOW its the National Felon league? Oh, you think athletes have gotten in trouble only since what...2006? Guess again. Also guess what, the percentage of athletes in the NFL arrested and/or convicted of any crime is far less than that of the general population according to the FBI. So when you get as outraged about the convicted FELONS that work on Wall Street, get paid to commentate on politics, journalists, actors, singers, etc...then maybe you can be taken seriously. As it stands, yes, it looks mighty racial because you're deciding there's a problem in the NFL when in fact, there is no more of a problem than in any other industry...you're just picking the one with visible young black men.

Posted by: mlrice710 | July 26, 2009 9:21 AM

rayoflite916,
this wasn't just a brush with the law. If i were in "these" shoes, i can 110% say: i'd never let myself get in those shoes. Vick will get his 2nd chance, in the UFL...or the NFL if a team picks him up. As it stands at 12:25 PM on the 26th of July 2009. Last word i received, Vick will go to a team in the UFL.
Of course it's the parent's responsibility, to teach our children, that by no means....does not mean they won't look up to a Pro Athlete.

mlrice710,
I'm fully aware of when athletes have gotten in trouble, years, dates....whom they are etc..I've done my research & i've even written a piece that got published "the nfl all time felon team"....having said that: whatever else you are inflamed about re: wall street etc..WHAT on earth does that have to do with the NFL? Nothing, other then the fact that some players have stock no doubt!

you're just picking the one with visible young black men.

I take umbrage to that line, because not all the felons in the league are "black men". I wouldn't care if they were the color of a RAINBOW......

Again, TY 4 all the input! Have an awesome rest of your day :)

Posted by: ck0712 | July 26, 2009 12:25 PM

Many posters on this topic seem to have lost sight of the fact that a felony conviction will, indeed, lock you out of a high percentage of jobs in our economy. How many convicted felons do you think Corporate America hires? Or your local dry cleaner chain? Or Wal-Mart? Get a grip. Fairly or not, it is a fact that conviction of a felony makes you a less-than-desirable potential employee with almost any business that has any ability to recruit according to their preferences. Should released felons be able to make a living? Of course; otherwise they become recidivist. But do many businesses get excited at the prospect of hiring them? Please. Let's see, you've been convicted of theft. Please have access to our assets. You've been convicted of violence. Please, come and get close to my customers and employees.

All that said, the NFL is an artificial economy, one that consumes young careers, bodies and psyches, and discards them without a thought when they become broken or worn out. The NFL is in the business of staging violent spectacles, virtual gladiatorial contests in modern-day arenas. For reasons that likely differ greatly from those of most businesses, including the relative scarcity of the bodies and skills they consume so rapidly, they have a greater need for strong, violent young men than they do of safe workplace association or any feigned moral high ground.

The NFL has no standing whatsoever to posture about morality, so let's not act like that's any real consideration to them. If Michael Vick's athleticism and QB skills have survived 2 yrs of inactivity to the point that he's better than the other 100-odd veteran QBs, backups and wannabes available, he'll have a job. More likely, Vick's largest barrier will be rust, not Goodell.

The wild card here is what I'll call the Mark McGuire Factor, i.e., Mark McGuire was seen as a modern Hero, literally larger than life and given to seemingly superhuman feats. He seemed like a humble, decent guy and was beloved, not only by hard-core baseball fans, but by broader sports fans and a meaningful % of casual fans.

Then, everyone saw him tap-dance around his 'roid answers before Congress, and stomachs churned. All of a sudden, MM couldn't get elected to the HoF despite his prodigious stats and savior-of-the-game persona.

Sometimes, it's really simple: people just get sick of it all. And that's their right.

Posted by: salescoach | July 26, 2009 4:50 PM

AMEN SalesCoach!

BTW, TO calling out Roger over this yesterday and telling Roger to sit in jail & calling him ridiculous......has without a doubt, sealed the 4 game suspension fate now. Roger is NOT going to take kindly to being called out by TO......bank it.

Posted by: ck0712 | July 27, 2009 7:04 AM

I have to disagree with you. Vick served his time and should be reinstated. I wouldn't object to a suspension but there needs to be an end to the punishment at some point.

The reasoning I would use is this, I love America. I love our freedoms that are unheard of in the rest of the world. Vick served his time for his crime.

If an NFL owner is stupid enough to hire this thug, then he can face his teams dwindling fans and the public ridicule that would come from hiring him. Maybe the next owner would do better with the team, but it should be a market decision.

Even felons need jobs somewhere. The bans should be in positions of public trust...law enforcement, military, congress (I know, congressmen only become felons after the election).

Posted by: KAG2 | July 27, 2009 9:04 AM

well kids you got your wish, he's been re instated on a few conditions that is. good luck with that.....this is going to be FUN to watch unfold ;0
******************************************
oh this is going to be fun to watch play out! enjoy & good luck to the team that picks him up!!

Michael Vick has been conditionally reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who will then decide on the quarterback's full reinstatement for Week 6 of the regular season.

Vick can participate without delay in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities other than games, but could play as soon as October.

Posted by: ck0712 | July 27, 2009 3:43 PM

Ban all felons from pro sports. That is the only fair thing to do. Now if someone gets deferred adjudication, which results in a dismissal of the felony conviction after completing some sort of probation, and after the dismissal is recorded, the ban could be lifted. That would give the trial judge the proper say in the ultimate future of the defendant before him/her. Notice that Vick was not offered deferred adjudication, meaning that the trial judge thought Vick did not deserve a chance to wipe the felony conviction away. Goodell should have considered that when he considered lifting the suspension. Also Vick still has three years of probation to complete, the suspension should not have been lifted until probation was completed, if at all. Let him work construction, he does not have a right to go back out on the field and make millions, he forfeited that when he did his crimes.

Posted by: mike92 | July 28, 2009 2:52 PM