The League

Robert Littal
National Blogger

Robert Littal

CEO of Black Sports Online which brings the truth in sports.

Goodell, Don't Play Daddy

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

"If it doesn't fit you must acquit" said Johnnie Cochran at the OJ Simpson trial.

I am pulling out one of the greatest quotes of the 20th century, but at its core the quote is saying if something doesn't make commonsense you don't have to do it.

People just assume Michael Vick should be suspended because that is what happens in the NFL, but here is what I think.

No suspension. No punishment. No banishment. Nothing should happen to Michael Vick now that he has finished his 23 month sentence for financing a dog fighting ring.

It is over. No matter what PETA says, no matter what ESPN says and no matter what you think. It is over.

Is dog fighting wrong? Absolutely.

Did Michael Vick deserve twenty three months in jail for it? Absolutely not.

I am not going to rehash everything. Everyone knows that Vick handled the situation badly, but I think people understand now after watching a convicted felony T.I. get a slap on the wrist and Donte Stallworth get thirty days for running over someone with his car while legally drunk, that Vick was treated to harshly by our legal system.

Roger Goodell is sitting on his throne right now and thinks that he has to hand down some sort of harsh punishment, but being in jail for twenty three months for something he shouldn't have gotten two months for is punishment enough.

Here is the thing about Roger Goodell even though he has been laying down the hammer on NFL players who have had brushes with the law, those incidents haven't decreased they have increased. So maybe he should reevaluate how he handles these situations.

He is very similar to a dad who has a daughter who is a little wild and has decided to date a bit of a bad boy. We will call that bad boy Robert Littal because I like to include myself in my metaphors.

Instead of talking to his daughter and finding out what she likes about this Littal fellow (I heard he wasn't too bad of a guy) he just locks her up in the room with no explanation. When you lock people up in a room without using commonsense in assessing situation you know what happens?

Littal ends up sneaking through your daughter's window and your daughter is still doing what you don't want her to do, plus she hates your guts now.

Goodell has an opportunity not to just show Michael Vick, but all his "sons" in the NFL that he is an understanding father by not locking up Vick in that room.

Trust me he has already been locked in that room for far too long.

By Robert Littal  |  July 24, 2009; 11:57 AM ET  | Category:  Atlanta Falcons , Crime , Michael Vick , NFL , Roger Goodell Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Time to Forgive | Next: GoodNewz for Vick

Comments

Whatever....when I was wild I didn't strangle and drown dogs. Or watch them fight to the death for my amusement.

So yea he deserved his sentence.....

He also served it so if he can get picked up by a team then good for him. No suspension etc since he already did his time. I just hope that nobody knocks on his door to let him play in the league. Let him "serve" a few years in the CFL or Jon Bovi's arena football extravaganza.

Posted by: theobserver4 | July 24, 2009 1:44 PM

First of all, his conviction was not just for the dogfighting charges. He also plead guilty to "Conspiracy to Travel in Interstate Commerce in Aid of Unlawful Activities," a felony. The federal prosecutors were operating under the RICO Act, which leads to greater penalties.

Even so, the argument that Vick was overpunished because others who committed crimes deemed equally (or even more) depraved received lesser sentences is bunk. Whether you feel Stallworth's crime was equal to or worse than Vick's, the punishments are unrelated. If Stallworth got off lightly, it doesn't mean Vick should have, too.

I agree that PETA and the media played a part in this. But Vick is a felon, and the league, as an employer, has the right to decide whether or not they want a felon in the organization.

And honestly, the daddy metaphor is a bit of a stretch, isn't it? You're saying that by suspending Vick, Goodell will encourage others to rebel? And Vick will want to date you? It's totally illogical.

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 24, 2009 2:32 PM

It's over...o.k., he funded the fighting of dogs; we have people who fund the fighting of human beings and they're not punished. The man did his time...you animal rights lovers really bug me. It's o.k. to love your animal, but throwing blood and paint on people because they chose to wear a mink is a serious sign of sickness. I'm reminded of that beautiful song about Angels that's been ruined in my eyes by Animal Rights lover who've overused it to portray ugly dogs to solicit funds for their obsession. Look, vets put dogs down everyday because they can't find an owner for them...talking about cruel, but you don't see the Animal Rights lovers protesting them. Get a life people, they're just dogs!

Posted by: Beingsensible | July 24, 2009 4:54 PM

Sure, Vick can play again, but I (and a whole lot of fans) can choose not to attend any of his games or buy any product associated with him or his team.

Posted by: wolfcastle | July 24, 2009 6:23 PM

Vick and all persons like him who fight dogs should die via lawful public execution.

Posted by: jdcallahan | July 25, 2009 8:38 AM

If he plays, then I hope the defense puts him in a world of hurt. And hopefully his offensive line will miss a few tackles in order for this to happen.

Yep - a little physical hurt wouldn't be too bad a punishment at all.

Posted by: Utahreb | July 25, 2009 10:00 AM

Post, get some better guest columnists than these. This particular commentary is full of Philosophy 101 gaps in logic, and that "Football Chick" has the writing skills of my 6 year old niece.

Posted by: jmink4a5 | July 25, 2009 10:31 AM

Robert, like so many other people on this site, you have no concept of the pain caused by Vick's actions.

Anyone who says Vick should be re-instated needs to spend some time in an animal shelter before publicly stating so. Otherwise, you have no basis, no idea what you're advocating. Yes, advocating.

I think it would behoove your employer to assign you the job of writing articles detailing the state of abused and abandoned animals before allowing you to publish this backward nonsense.

Everyone here who agrees with me should encourage the Post to do so.

Posted by: TommyD5 | July 25, 2009 2:40 PM

His retribution withing the legal system has nothing to do with the NFL. If they want to have any legitimacy he should never suit up again. While the are at it they should get serious about roids in the league.

Posted by: alstl | July 25, 2009 10:19 PM

Again I am not understanding the logic of many on the post (including the author of this post--I mainly disagree with his premises not necessarily his conclusion). It seems like Vick has to to be eternally punish for his actions, or at least at the highest level. He can play in the UFL or the CFL or any other football league, but heavens forbid he competes at his competition level. I guess my point is if he cannot play in the NFL why can he play in any other leagues? Seems like the logic is flawed!

I honestly think many are out for revenge rather than justice and retribution. On many of these post I hear things that sound just as bad as what Vick did (they should sic the dogs on him or that he should rot in hell among other things). What kind of example is that to are kids?

I think one of problems in this country is that we do not try to rehabilitate our "EX-felons" (people who did horrible things in the past but paid there debt, according to the laws of the legal system).

Now I am not trying to excuse anyone's behavior, I am very conservative on crime (especially for celebrities, athletes and politicans that seem to be applied to different standards) but I think one of the main goals of the criminal justice system is to punish people for their bad behavior while trying to make that person a "normal" citizen again.

I just feel like in this case many people are trying to make AN EXAMPLE out of Vick, which I would have to said is unfair with the logic that the criminal justice system is SUPPOSE to be blind in it's implementation of justice and a respecter of no persons...meaning that whether you are the "lowest of people" or the "highest of people" the punishment should be the same IN RESPECT to the facts of the case.

I understand people's beef against Vick, especially animal-lovers, but I was thinking about it this way, what if Vick was not a celebrity but a regular guy. Would he not be able to go back to life he had before he went to jail, or would he have to be stigmatized and punished "indefinitely" (ironically I think this is an example of his celebrity status working against him, in order to prove a point)?

Posted by: JON2121114 | July 25, 2009 10:45 PM

Thank you Robert Littal, well said. The people that want continous punishment for Vick and rant and rave that he should never be allowed back into the NFL, seriously now...do you think that "outrage" is really about some damn dogs? You know its not.

Posted by: mlrice710 | July 26, 2009 9:16 AM

mlrice710 sounds like a bigoted racist as he so elegantly proves that his acumen is most likely on an equal plain with that of an avacado pit.
Michael "Boo-Hoo I'm So Contrite" Vick should absolutely be allowed back into the National Felons League immediately with the one stipulation that he and the provacator mlrice710 be buried at the fifty yard line and showered in bacon grease after his first loss.
Now tell me, who wouldn't pay at least $500.00 to watch those "damn dogs",(thanks so much for your humanitarian sentiments mlrice777), enjoy themselves as they are released from each endzone!!! WOW, WHAT A FANTASTIC OVERTIME THAT WOULD BE!!!!!
We would be ridding the world of "TWO" REAL SPECIAL ROLE MODELS!!!

Posted by: burro2 | August 4, 2009 12:14 PM