The League

H. Gore
National Blogger

H. Gore

Head writer for You Been Blinded

Favre's a Selfish Jerk

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

I know they'll never say it on the record so I'll say it for Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels: Brett Favre is a jackass. I don't know Brett. I've never met him. But what he's shown us over the last year and change leads me to believe Brett's a selfish-jerk. All of his "I'm retired. Wait, I still wanna play. I quit. I'm gonna come back. I'm finished. I'm having surgery. I'm done. Psych, I'm back." is BS. If Brett really wanted to play he should've been on the field working with his teammates like the rest of the guys in the league. But no, Brett believes he's bigger than the NFL so he can do what he wants when he wants. How else do you explain his behavior?

Without question Favre's resume is better than that of Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels combined, but Jackson and Rosenfels aren't jerking their team around. They've been in camp, training and building with their receivers. They've acted like teammates while the Favre talk has swirled around them. Meanwhile, Brett's treating the NFL like the PGA. He wants to play one week, take a week off. He'll tune-up for the majors (The games against the Packers.), and do what he feels is best for Brett Favre. Super Bowls are not won this way.

A couple of Jets players complained at the end of last season about Favre being a bad teammate. Brett's flip-flopping, last-minute decision in Minnesota probably has his new teammates torn on his return. I spoke to Adrian Peterson a few weeks before camp opened and asked him how he would feel if the Vikes brought in a famous running back to take his spot when he's already holding down the position. Purple Jesus said "If I was holding it down, it would bother me." The tone in his voice implied that the position was up for grabs in his mind. I wonder if he feels that way now that the Vikings have gone through training camp and two-a-days while Favre was hanging out with high school kids in Mississippi.

Back in 1993 the 49ers traded Joe Montana to the Kansas City Chiefs to clear the way for Steve Young to take over the team. The decision might've pissed off Montana, but he didn't try to work his way to St. Louis or Arizona so he could face the 'Niners twice a season. He sucked it up and took the Chiefs to the playoffs, and now we remember Joe as a 'Niner, and as the greatest QB of all-time. Brett should've studied Joe.

By H. Gore  |  August 18, 2009; 2:41 PM ET  | Category:  Brett Favre , Green Bay Packers , Minnesota Vikings Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Not Dead, Just Resting | Next: He's a Drama Queen

Comments

Mr. Gore I completely agree with your viewpoint! Favre is not a team player and football is a team sport, so good luck with that mummy Minnesota!

Posted by: realchica | August 18, 2009 3:51 PM

"I don't know Brett. I've never met him"... but I'm gonna call him names. Grow up please.

Posted by: Ecksley | August 18, 2009 4:04 PM

Hard to argue the 'jackass' part, but Brett's not "selfish".
sincerely,
Mike 'sack record' Strahan

Posted by: redlineblue | August 18, 2009 4:16 PM

It' really quite simple Mr. Gore. You my friend are a racist.

Posted by: rocketpr | August 18, 2009 4:29 PM

"Brett believes he's bigger than the NFL so he can do what he wants when he wants." I don't know what Brett believes, but the facts suggest that he can, in fact, do what he wants when he wants -- at least with one willing team.

So, let me get this straight. You believe somehow that you've come up with some deep insight, e.g., the potential damage to team unity, that was somehow completely overlooked by the coaching staff, management and ownership, all of whom have either their jobs, asses or relationships with the paying customers (fans and sponsors) on the line with this decision? But, somehow, they've not considered this obvious issue? Please. Now who's being arrogant? They weighed the risks and perceived rewards and made a business decision. Later this season, we'll all know how wise it was or wasn't. But to declare in August that it was inherently wrong is unfounded. Events may prove it wrong, but it's not wrong on its face today. As a wiser head said, "That's why they play the games."

Posted by: salescoach | August 18, 2009 5:50 PM

I agree with Mr. Gore. Favre's immature vacillations are symptoms of self-absorption worthy of Neon Deon, T.O., and other athletes of their ilk who are more consumed with self than anything else. This issue has nothing to do with race. I used to be a fan of Favre; no longer.

Posted by: woolrichwascool | August 18, 2009 7:25 PM

H. Gore you the only jackass around here. Favre has earned the right to play where and when he wants. If theres an NFL team that will sign him then so be it. Thats between that particular team and Favre himself. As for the waffling, if you dont like it and are tierd or hearing it change the channel. Get over it MORON!!!!

Posted by: fox_mulder | August 18, 2009 8:34 PM

The has-been is the Packers organization. Favre got messed over, and they haven't had anyone else since Lombardi. They are Detroit's twin sister.

Favre should play wherever they want him.

We see MMA athletes at 50 pounding young punks in the mat.

So, let's let Favre have at it.

Calling him names is so 12 year old, Cheese Heads.

Posted by: fdffjdjjf-0999--88888 | August 18, 2009 9:42 PM

Bore, I'm sorry for your sour attitude towards one of the greatest QB's to ever suit up. I find it amusing that you haven't attacked Vick, who is a twisted, selfish felon. You obviously have never played elite level sports, or had a passion for something other than trying to admonish someone about something you know nothing about. Bottom line- he'll put butts in the seats, win games, create watercooler talk, possibly help Ziggy's effort for a new stadium, and maybe, lead the most talented team in the NFC to a fifth Super Bowl appearance. Oh, by the way, he was courted BIG TIME to play, besides being asked by his daughter. It wasn't so much his waffeling than others trying to convince him. I think it's a major coup for the Vikings, and a brilliant move by Wilf. As far as your skills are concerned, sh**ty editorials like yours should be reserved for the wall of a public stall, not for general public consumption.

Posted by: rallyquest | August 18, 2009 10:11 PM

Brett Favre used to have some integrity....I was a Viking fan but now will never back the team as they(the team) have become a part of the Favre circus. He wouldn't be my pick for quarterback in a high school team....quarterbacks are players that need to be able to make decisions......need I say more? The Vikings are the second biggest laughing stock, Brett Favre being the first and all time biggest joke. Actually the winners in this whole fiasco are the Packers. I don't know of anyone who could have cut Favre loose in Green Bay without being hung in the main square the next morning. Favre did them a favour by opening his mouth. They jumped at it and called him on it. He should have been tossed a few years earlier.

Posted by: austinphoto | August 19, 2009 12:20 AM

"It' really quite simple Mr. Gore. You my friend are a racist."

Tell us, exactly, how is Mr. Gore a racist? What word did he say that makes you say this? OK, maybe he is "childish" for his name calling but never did he mention the color of any one's skin or nationality. Maybe it is you, rocketpr, that is a racist.

To put it simply, for your obviously low intellect, Mr. Gore was stating that Farve was sitting on the couch watching pre-season football and became misty-eyed. He picked up the phone and called the the Vikings begging for another chance. This is the same QB that throws as many interceptions as he does touchdowns. So how is this helping the Vikings? It's pure and simple selfishness. Farve would do the franchise a better service as a coach for Jackson and Rosenfels.

Posted by: cheez | August 19, 2009 8:20 AM

This move is less about Favre and more about the needs of the team. Tarvaris has been Childress' project, but with a poor camp topped off by a poor showing in the first preseason game, even Childress knows that Tarvaris is not going to get them to the Superbowl and it's time to move on. Sage looked good, but he's hurt. Childress needed to bring a new quaterback into camp, pronto. He called Favre first, as the best of the available talent, with the known result. But if Favre had declined Childress would have gone after someone else. He had to do something, and that's the real story. Only regret, at this point, is that the Vikes didn't go after a younger, proven starter earlier in the season, when they were available.

Posted by: Steve-2 | August 19, 2009 9:29 AM

I agree completely with Gore. Favre needs to stay retired and stop acting like a spoiled baby who needs to get his way. I'm sooooo tired of hearing about him retiring and then unretiring and back and forth. I am a huge Vikings fan, but watching them now with Favre as the QT is going to be hard. Can't stand the man and what he's doing to the QTs they already have is not right. Favre has no regard for the team as a whole, or he wouldn't do this and the Vikings have not regard for the QTs they already have or their feelings on what's going on. If Favre was so great, how come the Jets didn't keep him? Because he stunk last year and he's going to do the same for the Vikings. What a jackass!!

Posted by: lzredd | August 19, 2009 12:05 PM