The League

Dan Shannon
PETA

Dan Shannon

Assistant Director of Campaigns People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

PETA Says No

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

As the first black coach to win a Super Bowl, a trailblazing strategist on both sides of the ball, and a man of strong faith and convictions, Tony Dungy has always been a great role model for children. Not true with Michael Vick.

Even though he has served his reduced sentence, no child should ever look up to the convicted dog-killer as a role model, regardless of Dungy's influence.

For the sake of all the young football fans and the dogs Vick electrocuted, drowned, slammed to the ground, and hanged, we hope that Dungy will focus on the future of the NFL by backing our efforts to have the League add "cruelty to animals" to its personal-conduct policy as an offense that won't be tolerated. Doing so might reduce the likelihood that this type of violent crime will take place again.

By Dan Shannon  |  August 11, 2009; 11:20 AM ET  | Category:  Atlanta Falcons , Crime , Indianapolis Colts , Michael Vick , NFL , Quarterbacks , Race , Tony Dungy Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Just Crazy Enough To Work | Next: Vick Owes Dungy and All of Us

Comments

I am all for the fair treatment of animals. But you PETA people are nuts. He served his time. PETA is not above the lwa of the U.S. How about the NFL adopting laws for battered woman or murder with a vehicle? He is not the only person who has had dog fights but just was just made an example of because he was rich black man. The majority of dog fighters..especially the big time ones aren't even black. That's who you should go after. Instead of beating a dead horse. Lunatics

Posted by: luvdaskinz | August 11, 2009 1:06 PM

PETA once again, you have it wrong. First of all, I am personally opposed to professional athletes being "role models". They are men and women doing a job for which they are paid, in most cases, very generously. Let our teachers and preachers, and nurses and doctors be role models. Or a Dad who works everyday at a job he hates just so he can put food on the table for his family (because he knows what is important in this life). Or a Mother who nutures and loves her children. Let these folks be our role models. PETA says "Even though he has served his reduced sentence, no child should ever look up to the convicted dog-killer as a role model, regardless of Dungy's influence" It is because of Mr. Dungy's influence as a Christian that Mike is being given a second chance. If Mr. Vick changes course, and I believe with the help of Mr. Dungy he will. He can show kids that, yes he has done some reprehensible things and yes, he has served time, but he has chosen a different path and hopefully they too will learn from my mistakes.

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | August 11, 2009 1:48 PM

You are absolutely right, this man should never be allowed to become a 'hero' again. What he did to those poor animals is sick and completely deviated from natural behaviour.A short time in prison certainly didn't change what he really is.

Posted by: renewoods | August 11, 2009 5:05 PM

I'm from PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) and I fell he has served the penalty the courts mandated. Was it enough of a penalty? I can't answer that but he does deserve a second chance. If he can play and be competitive, give him a chance. He has to earn whatever he seeks.

Posted by: npsilver | August 12, 2009 12:45 AM

PETA is a joke of an organization and criminals and loons are its officers and members. These nuts shouldn't even be a part of any rational discussion.

Posted by: mlrice710 | August 12, 2009 6:18 AM

NPSILVER wrote:I'm from PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)Hilarious!! LMAO!!

Legally and financially, he has paid for his crime. PLEASE GET A LIFE

Posted by: letsgetreal | August 12, 2009 9:16 AM

I have as much respect for PETA as I do Vick when it comes to caring for animals. They are more intersted in promoting their organization than actually spending money and saving animals in distress.

Posted by: Chuckled | August 12, 2009 9:54 AM

I agree with Dan Shannon. I don’t think that Michael Vick should ever play again. I certainly would not support any team that hires him. I also believe that the NFL should add "cruelty to animals" to its personal-conduct policy as an offense that won't be tolerated.

I also agree with LUVDASKINZ: I think that the NFL should add “wife battery” and “murder” as two more offenses that won't be tolerated.

In response to OHREALLYNOW: whether one is opposed to professional athletes being role models or not, it still happens. Everyone in the public light tends to become a role model, which is why I think that all celebrities should behave with decorum, including sports figures.

Posted by: 20016DC | August 12, 2009 10:10 AM

"judge not least ye be judged"... "do not look at the speck in your brothers eye before looking at the plank in your own," rings a bell when reading the statement by Dan Shannon. Who made PETA judge & jury (seems like they convicted him before any guilty plea was made). Michael Vick has served his time no matter how wharped our judicial system at times may be...i.e., he may be the fall-guy for the other men who truly did the actions of killing the dogs & ratted Vick out to save their own hides. Even though Vick still may have had knowledge of the dog fighting taking place, (doesnt make his actions correct, ESPECIALLY, since he needed to safeguard his public image) why can he not be allowed to move on with his life? He is taking the appropriate steps to move on with his life. What a child could look up to him for is that he is confessing that he didnt make all the right decisions, yet he is making ammends. PETA should try working with Vick and together make PSA's on the negative affects of dog fighting. That would be the,"adult," thing to do.

Posted by: smilezzpretty | August 12, 2009 11:27 AM

There are some pretty shallow comments here. You may not like PETA, but you cannot deny that they are doing what they can to protect animals. Perhaps sports fans forget that God made us protectors of the earth, including animals. I cannot understand how you can cheer on someone who has hanged a dog, beat a dog, stabbed a dog, all for pleasure. But then, perhaps these are the same people who would cheer if they put dog fights or cock fights on TV.

Posted by: alamo2 | August 12, 2009 12:05 PM

Perhaps Prez Obama's new Health Care Reform will include a cure for *WE THE PEOPLE* of PETA?!

You people at PETA sound just like the *extremist* GOP "Birthers", "Tea Party" wackos, and now the "Town Hall" STALLERS & Disrupters. Except I am "certain" you are NOT Mega-Funded$$ by the Corporate Health Care Industry and BIG Pharma $$$$$.

In PETA's eyes, most of humankind should be euthanized.....for the animals.

Talk about PETA being insignificant dirt specks......?!?!

Posted by: Bigrcube | August 12, 2009 12:46 PM

F*&^ Peta

Posted by: jjack1 | August 12, 2009 1:09 PM

Let's get serious. It's been a long time since athletes were REALLY role models. Babe Ruth was a drunk (yes I said it), Mark McGuirre used steroids and lets not forget about the tons of athletes who have stolen, used illegal drugs, beaten their wives, etc. Micheal Vick is a human, just like ever other member of PETA. And while he shouldn't get a lighter sentence because he is an athlete, he also shouldn't get a harder one. Maybe all us of should have a clause in our work policy against cruelty to animals. Tony Dungy is entitled to his opinion as are the PETA folks. Neither of which should prevent Michael Vick from returning to his profession.

Posted by: ldey | August 12, 2009 1:14 PM

Do any of these PETA people eat meat? Because some country cows, bulls and chickens are, consider pets. That man has done his time and now it is time for PETA and everybody else to let him get on with his life. This is the America way!!!!!!

Posted by: jcjsnake68 | August 12, 2009 2:39 PM

for all you people that think vick should have a second chance ----did he give those poor dogs a second chance?
he is a vicious man his own dad said how cruel he was growing up
i pray he never plays football again he belongs in a cage
my hope is that there may be some nfl player{should vick get signed} that hates what he did to those poor dogs & slams his black ass to the ground & ask him how does it feel you piece of scum?

Posted by: jcaldwell31 | August 12, 2009 2:46 PM

While I personally despise Vick, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to play again. He went to prison and served his time. Now he can move on with his life. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did something stupid and/or illegal again though. If he does, as long as he pays the price for his actions, I can live with that.

Not allowing him to play after serving his sentence is silly. While I sympathize with PETA's goals, their methods only serve to alienate moderate people who would be willing to help out their cause. Same as the Birthers, Town Hall whackos, etc.

Posted by: WJH1973 | August 12, 2009 3:40 PM

While Vick's prison sentence may have satisfied his legal obligations, it has nothing to do with his obligations as an NFL player. The NFL is a private organization that can hire and fire and suspend or reinstate players as it sees fit. I'm sure that if I were convicted of the same crime, I would NOT be rehired by any organization, though my professional talents would still be intact. For 99.9% of Americans, being convicted of a crime comes with more than just legal ramifications--it ruins your life. But not Vick. . .he's poised to pick up right where he left off. This double standard is what troubles me most. He committed a crime of moral turpitude; he may have paid his debt to society, but I doubt very much that his morality has changed one bit. Unlike the state, the NFL can and SHOULD punish him for his lack of morals, after all, it's the League that continually markets its players as heroes and role models, foolish as that may be.

Posted by: mmcandrew | August 12, 2009 3:45 PM

In this country, dog fighting is as american as apple pie(sorry to be the bearer of bad news). It is part of a southern culture that ties rubber bands around the testicles of bull and burning them with a cigarette to stoke their aggression during a rodeo, fighting cocks(roosters) for money, or even hunting for sport (trophies). These activities go on every single day. Even on national television. Did Vick break the law? YES. Did he serve his time? YES. Has he changed? Who knows, but for groups of people who love animals and defend these ridiculous rights of animals. You should go defend and support the rights of children who have special needs, or are abused, or even need a foster home.I truly believe that kids need to have rights defended before a dog or cat. Vick's done his time. GETTA LIFE!!!

Posted by: jaswyant21 | August 12, 2009 3:53 PM

He did the time. He lost $100million and his job.

What else do you want him to lose?

As the other posters have commented, football players are not meant to be role models. They get paid to play a game where you are hell bent on hurting your opponent or at the very least, making them stupid.

Why would you want your son/daughter to look at these guys as role models anyway? lol

I hope Vick can excel like he did before, but only time will tell. Two years out of professional sports is a long time...

Posted by: OneGovt_Worker | August 12, 2009 4:13 PM

He did the time. He lost $100million and his job.

What else do you want him to lose?

As the other posters have commented, football players are not meant to be role models. They get paid to play a game where you are hell bent on hurting your opponent or at the very least, making them look stupid.

Posted by: OneGovt_Worker | August 12, 2009 4:13 PM

I see.......NO TEAM PICKING HIM UP.............As it should be.

When do the (dead) dogs get to play again?

Let Mike go apply for a job at Wal-Mart, but I don't think they hire ex-convicts, so why should the NFL?

Michael Vick you blew it! Plain and simple, now MOVE ON!

Posted by: Rubiconski | August 13, 2009 6:16 AM

August 20th the real story about the Michael Vick case "Bad Newz" will be released, by Kathy Strouse. Vick murdered innocent dogs and everyone will know the truth.

Any team that picks up the animal better think it out. Vick, is a guaranteed financial loss for ANY TEAM that would try to play him.

Posted by: Rubiconski | August 13, 2009 6:21 AM

As long as Vick is in the NFL my family won't be watching and I'll make sure all the NFL's major advertisers know it.

Votin' with my $,