The League

Adam Tracey
Bears Blogger

Adam Tracey

Lead writer for Windy City Gridiron, a Chicago Bears blog

Bears Want Them

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

I'm curious as to what the reasoning for teams not having them is. Coming from a team that doesn't have cheerleaders, let me simply say, we want them.

Yes women and kids watch football, but let's face it; football's main demographic is guys. We like football, we like beer and we like cheerleaders.

If you are worried about the family aspect of as the Chicago Bears do, then you can limit how skimpy the outfits are to some extent and how the dances come off. I see no real reason that you'd have to get rid of them.

By Adam Tracey  |  September 2, 2009; 7:31 AM ET  | Category:  Cheerleaders , Chicago Bears , NFL , Roger Goodell Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Manning's the Man | Next: Cost Cutting Cheer

Comments

I'm a Steelers fan, and we don't have cheerleaders either. Why? Because in Pittsburgh, we actually enjoy watching football and don't need a dozen women to freeze their butts off just to keep us entertained.

Posted by: tomveiltomveil | September 3, 2009 12:13 AM

If I want to see a gyrating woman, I'll go to a strip club and see a pro. That said, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders coming aboard my ship in December 1982 while spinning circles in the Indian Ocean was the greatest morale raiser I ever saw. Too bad they are associated with such a lousey team......Packers all the way!

Posted by: drees1956 | September 3, 2009 12:36 AM

In addition to our six championships, one of the reasons I always use to explain the Steelers superiority to other football teams is the lack of cheerleaders. Pittsburgh fans care about football, not silly cheerleaders, giant pirate boats, marching bands, or pre-madonna players like T.O.

Posted by: rbowley | September 3, 2009 8:35 AM

I've never understood why any football fan would need someone else to prompt/lead them to cheer. Football is an exciting game on its own. As a life long Steeler fan--the Steelers actually had cheerleaders until 1969, which is just before my time--I've never attended or watched a Steeler game that made me wish for some other entertainment or distraction. Maybe fans of other NFL teams feel the need for cheerleaders, but I never will. For real, have you ever forgotten to chear for your team? Maybe for high school or college, but not the pros... just seems silly to me.

Posted by: bigdmjst5 | September 3, 2009 8:48 AM

pre-madonna? That is funny!!!

Posted by: miller2 | September 3, 2009 9:03 AM

Big - couldn't agree with you more. They make sense in HS and college because they actually lead cheers. In the pros, I think it's more TV driven. They can give us a gratuitous shot of them on their way to the interminable commercial breaks.

And RBrowley, Madonna is much older than T.O. so wouldn't that make him a post-madonna? Go to dictionary dot com and look up prima donna.

Posted by: Timinator | September 3, 2009 9:05 AM

Cheerleaders are great. They give you something to look at when the game is boring. In person and on TV.

Plus, you get those shots where the blonde is jumping up and down cheering when her quarterback just threw an interception.

Posted by: bug45 | September 3, 2009 12:14 PM

As a Bears fan I can say that I don't care if other teams have cheerleaders I I can tell you that this is the first time I have ever heard a Bears fan say, "You know what would make Bears games better. Cheerleaders." I did go to a pre-season Broncos-Chargers game once and as a heterosexual male I was very distracted from the game. If they like their cheerleaders in Dallas, then they can keep them but please don't introduce them in Chicago.

Posted by: Brendan5 | September 5, 2009 1:04 PM