The League

Robert Littal
National Blogger

Robert Littal

CEO of Black Sports Online which brings the truth in sports.

Rush Duped Us

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

Roger Goodell spoke recently about the possibility of Rush Limbaugh owning a piece of the Saint Louis Rams. Goodell exact quote was:

"I've said many times before we're all held to a high standard here, and I think divisive comments are not what the NFL is all about,"

In my opinion it was the right thing to do because the story had gotten out of control to the point I almost decided against writing this article because I honestly feel we have all been duped.

Roger Goodell, the NFL, Al Sharpton and the media as whole have been played for a fool by one Rush Limbaugh.

I touched on it last week when talking about the subject, but seeing the media attention it has garnered it has become crystal clear to me.

This is exactly what Limbaugh wanted, a three ring circus all revolving around his bloated (figuratively and literally) ego.

Upon further review it was highly unlikely that Limbaugh was going to be involved in the ownership plans for the Rams and even by some miracle he did it would be a very small portion.

No different than Jay Z with the Nets or Usher with the Cavaliers.

Limbaugh is a lot of things, but he isn't a stupid man. He knew this from the beginning. He knew a controversial figure would garner overwhelming media attention as soon as this information became public.

The only time anyone talks about Rush Limbaugh is when he is making outlandish statements. What is more outlandish than someone like Limbaugh trying to buy an NFL team?

So he has been able to turn this into a publicity tour for himself.

He has been all over TV and radio talking about the one person he loves more than anyone else in the world: Rush Limbaugh.

NFL fans who had no clue who Rush Limbaugh was might now become a part of his "cult" following. In my opinion he doesn't care if they become fans or not; he just cares that they know his name.

We have been suckered and we fell right in the trap. It was as blatant as ESPN sending Ed Werder to report about Terrell Owens -- we should have already known the outcome.

So no, Roger Goodell didn't overstep, he just was manipulated into the debate like everyone else. I hope now that everyone realizes that we have been played worse than a cover two defense being dissected by Peyton Manning.

By Robert Littal  |  October 14, 2009; 7:25 AM ET  | Category:  Roger Goodell , St. Louis Rams Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Rush Wins Again | Next: It's the Economy, Stupid

Comments

Do you even think about what you write, Roger? "What is more outlandish than someone like Limbaugh trying to buy an NFL team?" How about Dan Snyder running a proud franchise into the ground? The Bidwill family failing to field an NFL-caliber team for forty years? Al Davis (enough said)?

Better them than somebody who thinks differently than you, I guess.

Posted by: DellC | October 14, 2009 1:06 PM

Robert, I meant. Sorry.

Posted by: DellC | October 14, 2009 1:06 PM

Derellct, do you even read what you read, let alone what you writer? DellC, sorry

Posted by: matvox | October 14, 2009 2:38 PM

Mr. Littal, I don't know what should embarrass you more - your ignorance of Rush Limbaugh and what he stands for, or your use of the word "ego." What is a literal "bloated ego," what is a figurative "bloated ego," and what, pray tell, is the difference between them? If you thought that was just a clever way of making fun of his weight, you are very much mistaken. Literally, I mean, it wasn't funny. And "figuratively," it wasn't even close to being accurate because Mr. Limbaugh has lost about 85 pounds of late, and is rather in good physical shape. So next time, perhaps, you could address your literal and figurative wit to the ideas and not simply wave away the subject with a dumb reference to Mr. Limbaugh's weight. Either that or get a better editor.

Posted by: mastermind238 | October 14, 2009 2:45 PM

Yawn.

Posted by: MyOhMy | October 14, 2009 3:49 PM

What has happened to free speech in this country? I guess these days it is only for liberals and those who think as they do. The rest of us apparently should just keep our mouths shut regardless that we are citizens and pay our taxes like everyone else. Isn't Jay-Z a part owner of a basketball team? But I guess rappers that "sing" about women as ho's and b*tches are a-ok with the other team owners. I feel sorry for the next black person that wants to buy into a team, whether it's Rev. Al or Jesse or Robert Johnson or Dick Parsons. How will they like it when some white person writes a letter to the league expressing their concern about this person becoming an owner. But then, that would be racist wouldn't it?

Posted by: profmoriarty | October 15, 2009 12:30 AM

Goodell, It's a shame he believes the media pimps...not a racist bone in Rush's body. I've listen to him along time. The media can't even source the supposed comment. It's a shame we have a worthless media of propaganda and no news.

Standards? we now have an adult dog killer playing ball.

But the NFL needs Rush more than Rush needs the NFL....

IGNORANCE RULES TODAY