The League

Keenan McCardell
Wide Receiver

Keenan McCardell

A Pro-Bowl wide receiver who was drafted in 1991 out of UNLV.

Rush the Racist?

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

Rush Limbaugh would definitely hurt the St. Louis Rams if he bought the team. I can only judge what he says on the radio - but the way he talks makes me think he's a racist.

The NFL is a dominant black league and it's tough to say that a guy who speaks his mind as much as he does with a locker room that's 60% minority would get players' respect. If I were a free agent it would be really hard for me to want to play for him. He'd have to show me that he's a different person. The coach would also have to convince me that this was about football and not politics.

All the players would remember what he said about Donovan McNabb - what got him fired from ESPN. It's a crazy thing, but it's hard to change what you said once you said it -- hard to get guys to forget and trust again. Sometimes your words speak louder than what you're trying to do.

By Keenan McCardell  |  October 7, 2009; 12:07 AM ET  | Category:  St. Louis Rams Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Only Fools Rush In | Next: Rush the Savior?

Comments

Keenan, that's NOT the stupidest thing I've ever heard come from a professional athlete's mouth, but it IS in the top five. Rush didn't say anything even remotely racist about Donovan McNabb. He said that the media had wanted to see a black quarterback succeed. That's what you call racism? They DID want to see a black quarterback succeed because up until him, almost none had. You're so narrow-minded. You wanted to hear racism because Rush is a conservative, so you heard racism even when none was offered. Maybe you're the racist.

Posted by: larkinhuey | October 6, 2009 6:11 PM

LarkinHuey,
Limbaugh is a racist demagogue... look to his "Barack the Magic Negro" song.

Posted by: touchdown_msu | October 6, 2009 8:46 PM

Limbaugh is not racist because he's a conservative. He's racist because he is. He doesn't like Blacks anymore than he likes women or liberals or the majority of people in America.
I don't recall what he said about McNabb. I do recall much of the other idiocy that he spews.

Posted by: RD252 | October 6, 2009 8:49 PM

I would love to have Rush Limbaugh own a team so I could root against them. I agree with Touchdown_MSU: Rush is a racist demagogue.

Posted by: phil55 | October 6, 2009 9:17 PM

"dominant black league" ?? who is the ignorant racist here?

Posted by: pveedee | October 6, 2009 10:18 PM

This is a commercial disaster waiting to happen.Rush is very bad for business - especially the sports business. If I were the Rams I would not even consider him. The players and fans that would desert that team would leave the team in a catastrophic financial situation.

Posted by: Obamarama1 | October 7, 2009 6:02 AM

Limbaugh is a great football fan, he has the money and the interest, and it is America and we were free when I went to bed last night, so go for it. By today's standards, everyone is a racist if any comment, good or bad, is made about a black person, a woman, an immigrant, a fat person, a smart person, a dumb person. We can't seem to get away from it. I listen to him often enough to hear his comments in context and he is no more racist than I or my fellow posters and my best neighbor is black. We really need to drop the racist label, it is 2009.

Posted by: carolina-born | October 7, 2009 6:11 AM

Come on Carolina-Born, everybody in the world knows what Rush is. If I was a football player, I would not want to play for a owner like Rush. If he gets the Rams, I will change my hatred for the Cowboys to the Rams. We at least know one thing, the Rams won't have a Black quarterback!!!!!

Posted by: Papasp8@yahoo.com | October 7, 2009 6:30 AM

First off Mccardell sounds like a racist, and furthermore there are nothing but thugs playing so what does it matter.

Posted by: rh843 | October 7, 2009 6:54 AM

Rush loves the game and that is what the NFL needs as an owner.

Posted by: yokosuka1985 | October 7, 2009 6:59 AM

When Rush told a caller with a black accent "to take the bone out of their nose" he was being racist. When Rush said that Kenya should be awarded an Olympics so Obama's step brother could rent out his hut, he was being a racist.
Why do white men think it is cool to be a racist?

Posted by: davethewave | October 7, 2009 7:15 AM

I have a feeling the Rams would suddenly become an all white team. Rush of course would drone on and on about how he had nothing to do with having an all white team.. 'it just happened folks'

Posted by: bozhogg | October 7, 2009 7:23 AM

The only racists left in this country are liberals. True conservatives look past skin color and judge people on their actions. Liberals need to keep racism alive because they draw their power from the fear of racism, when, in truth, no one has done more harm to the black community than the white liberal. Liberals have removed every last shred of personal responsibility from the black community and left it so decimated that the black man must resort to violence on his brothers to retain any shred of respect -- and liberals take every opportunity to blame conservatives! Some day the black community will rise up against the white liberals who have caused so much malaise in their community, but sadly, I think that day is far off. You buy that team, Rush. And I am sure with your work ethic, you will make it a success.

Posted by: jakedog030 | October 7, 2009 7:53 AM

After reading some, it appears that "Rush the racist" is the club used to delegimatize the man as an individual. It's the old "us against them" (And, "them" is scary).

Rush's comments on McNabb were honest, and heartfelt - and true. The press was giving the man a pass because they wanted an African American quarterback to succeed. We all know that. It's part of the "white (liberal) guilt" syndrome.

But, what's interesting is AG Eric Holder's contribution to the debate when he says we're cowards to have a debate about race. If true, Rush should be Holder's first champion.

But, I suspect what was meant is that there should be a one sided debate on race and the wrong side should rightly be demonized (and not allowed to partake in the debate nor any other part of our American experience).

Posted by: Cdgaman | October 7, 2009 7:57 AM

Its not just the Donovan McNabb statement. Its years of racially offensive and inflammatory statements made on his radio show. This is America though, he can buy a part of whatever team he wants to and players can refuse to play for any team that he is the part owner of if they want to.

Posted by: slcarswell | October 7, 2009 8:05 AM

We fail to realize that this pig has become popular and rich because of the million of other racists and bigots who follow him.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | October 7, 2009 8:36 AM

What I really would like to see is rush own the team and maybe after a tough loss rush might spout off some racial comment and have about 15 brothers jump on him and wrap his as# around his face. I would really love to see this happen.

Posted by: kubrickstan | October 7, 2009 8:41 AM

Larkinhuey

You're spinning what Rush said.... Rush said McNabb was OVERRATED because the media wanted a black quarterback to succeed.

Not only was Rush stating his opinion as fact (which he does with impunity on his radio show targeted to a mostly like-minded audience) but his opinon was wrong because McNabb has consistently been one of the Top 10 (occasionally Top 5) quarterbacks in the league.

To suggest the good press McNabb was getting for his play was actually due to some sort of media affirmative action is EXACTLY the kind of race-baiting he lambasts AND participates in regularly on his show.

The racial element is always there in the NFL but it's telling that that particular theme was one of the first things he chose to focus on when he got the mic on ESPN.

Posted by: AJohn1 | October 7, 2009 8:50 AM

What the NFL does not need is another high profile loudmouth egomaniac owner. Think of the most successful teams of the last decade- Pats, Steelers, Giants, Colts, etc. Could you pick their owners out of a lineup? Now think of the owners you would recognize on the street- Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, Al Davis. How are those three teams doing? Successful owners fade into the background, let coaches coach and players play and only show up at draft and free agent signings and trophy time.

Posted by: kguy1 | October 7, 2009 8:53 AM

As a young black man who has grown up in DC, Amen jakedog030. One need only look at the fact that it was liberal democrats (white and black) who threw oreos at Michael Steele on multiple occassions during his run for Lt. Governor.

Posted by: ajsmythe1 | October 7, 2009 8:54 AM

McCardell is right. You may not like what he has to say but it's all true. The posters that are calling McCardell a racist are obfuscating to cover for Limbaugh and themselves.

Posted by: Lefty_ | October 7, 2009 9:03 AM

Setting aside the fact that Limbaugh utters, consistently, racially-tinged slurs, he is a polarizing figure who has become incredibly wealthy by playing to his audience's dark side. However, on the plus side he did have that well-publicized brush with the law over his addiction to pain killers, so he'd fit right in.

Posted by: kemp13 | October 7, 2009 9:08 AM

Rush has Said:

5. Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.

1. I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.

2. You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.

6. The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.

-- He has called Obama a ‘halfrican American’ has said that Obama was not black but Arab because Kenya is an Arab region, even though Arabs are less than one percent of Kenya.

Since mainstream America has become more accepting of African-Americans, Limbaugh has decided to play against its new racial fears, Arabs and Muslims. Despite the fact Obama graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law school, Limbaugh has called him an ‘affirmative action candidate.’

Limbaugh even has repeatedly played a song on his radio show ‘Barack the Magic Negro’.

Posted by: SkiPete | October 7, 2009 9:14 AM

Rush:

"
Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?
"

----
So those of you who claim Rush isn't a Racist..

You were Sayin' ?

Posted by: SkiPete | October 7, 2009 9:16 AM

It is impossible to believe there is actually people who don't believe Rush is racist. I don't often quote Barney Frank but, "on what planet do these people spend most of their time?". Does he need a membership card to prove it? The bigger question is "why does his brand of conservatism sell?".

When this stuff pops up, I amused by the differnce in the standards that are applied. The President said the police acted stupidly arresting a man in his home. A lot of this country was outraged including some in the 'liberal media" and apologies were demanded. Rush goes over the edge almost daily and it is acceptable. I suggest that the tolerance for his over the line comments by white people is not the appropriate standard. How do black people feel and do they find the comments offensive are the appropriate standard. Remember Imus? He did a penance of 6 months and got his job back, minus the TV gig, just wait.

On his McNabb comments, one person indicated they were honest and heartfelt. I am sure they were heartfelt and may well have been honest for him, but they were without basis in reality. Please take a look at his career statistics? NcNabb has led the Eagles to the NFC Championship game 5 times and the Eagles play in the NFC East. For the uninformed, the NFC East is and has been the NFL's toughest Division for years. Any informed fan can name the great Qbs and also the great receivers they played with. Think about it? Take away 1 season with TO and name a good receiver McNabb has played with? The man has over 30,000 passing yards overwhelmingly without an all-pro receiver. Even great defenses need an offense in the post season.

To the subject question, should Rush be an owner in the NFL? The highest profile owners in the NFL are probably Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder. Neither bring anywhere near the questionable baggage that Limbaugh does. While I do not agree with most of the stuff Limbaugh propogates, I acknowledge his right to do so. But not in the NFL.

Posted by: concerned13 | October 7, 2009 9:17 AM

For everyone who says that what Limbaugh said about McNabb was true:

By the time he made his comments, the issue of successful black quarterbacks in the NFL was dead and had been for at least 10 years. Anyone who was concerned with blacks succeeding at quarterback had already seen Doug Williams lead Washington to a title, Warren Moon have a Hall of Fame career, and Randall Cunningham go to the Pro Bowl and change the way the position was played.

On the day Limbaugh made his claims about McNabb, there were seven black quarterbacks starting, and one of them, Steve McNair had led his team to the Super Bowl, been MVP of the league and had been to multiple Pro Bowls.

McNabb was NOT being praised because he was black. If anyone had still felt the need to point to a successful black QB, McNair would have been the obvious choice since he was at the time thought of as elite.

McNabb was being praised because he had led his team to three straight NFC championship games (and went on that year to lead them to a Super Bowl). Did he have a good defense? Yes? Did the defense score all or most the points? Of course not. The offense had a good line blocking for Westbrook and McNabb while McNabb made do with a group of no name receivers, most of whom aren't in the league anymore.

Sorry to complicate your opinions with facts, but life is like that sometimes.

Posted by: dwiles | October 7, 2009 9:39 AM

Someone from Carolina claiming there is no more racism? Tell me please, on what magic date did racism end in America? Given your state's history, you need to sit back and let the rest of the country tell you when racism is over. Until then, we will continue calling it out.

Posted by: leftcoaster | October 7, 2009 10:04 AM

Rush is used to tauting the Free Speech line, and he feeds his own free speech to his ditto-heads, and he is beloved. Good for him, espcially since it makes him much $$$. So, as a RAMs owner, if he decides to fiddle with player and coach selection, he will indeed fail, thus turning some ditto-heads RAMs fans into Rush-haters. This is a VERY GOOD thing! The more Rush-haters there are, the better. So...let him buy the RAMs and screw up and alienate people.

Also, I am fed up with white people who envy the superior atheletic abilities of blacks. Go back to your football pools and thank God when you win that blacks are on your winning teams! By the way, I am caucasian, and I enjoy watching blacks play any game, because they are usually very good.

Posted by: schaeffz | October 7, 2009 10:05 AM

Bad bad move... people will walk... he is a disgusting individual. 50% of the team probably already hate his guts. The country is swinging left as I see more and more kids from the ignorance belt turning up in Brooklyn... trying to make a living and escape the silliness that was their home states.

Posted by: ukangitmynutz | October 7, 2009 10:14 AM

I'm sure the reason that people are here defending Rush is that they hope he will buy the Rams and purge it of all the blacks and we can get back to the good old times of Strom Thurmond.

You cannot defend the indefensible. Skipete's listing of Rush's choice words says it all. The man is scum bag, drug addict, fat bloated piece of human filth. And his fans are the brown water that float around a tird that hasn't been flushed.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 7, 2009 10:27 AM

I see a boycott on the St. Louis team if this happens.

Posted by: BigHustla | October 7, 2009 10:39 AM

Limbaugh (Why do people always refer to him by his first name?) is a racist, I don't even think it is debatable. For whatever reason, he always gets a pass on his racism, just as he got a pass on oxycontin. He has grown accustomed to a life that is utterly devoid of accountability. I think it would be disastrous for him to own an NFL franchise.

Posted by: RadicalGlove | October 7, 2009 11:03 AM

Um Actually, you do not have to go over what rush said about McNabb to know he has racial tendencies....

I have listen to his shows now and then, and the most recent remark he made... Let me quote this for all those in denial or lack of understanding on what can constitute the label of being racist

Rush :“I think the guy’s wrong. I think not only it was racism, it was justifiable racism. I mean, that’s the lesson we’re being taught here today. Kid shouldn’t have been on the bus anyway. We need segregated buses — it was invading space and stuff. This is Obama’s America.”

Wait there is more....

Rush also said that segregation is where we should go again. Juuusssttt incase you find it hard to believe you back a racist, that happens to be a conservative, here is the full transcript:http://mediamatters.org/limbaughwire/2009/09/15#0023

Really wish people who claim to be conservative would clean house! If you do not like being associated with racist, then look around you and deal with the garbage that is being said. Sadly many do not know they are racist. And the fact is, according to the NFL and College records of players... the majority of players are not "white" that's a fact, deal with it. Read up on it.

Posted by: Aneko | October 7, 2009 11:04 AM

Anybody remember, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, and The Greatest performance by a quarterback in a Super Bowl, Doug Williams. Before Donovan McNabb there were successful Black QB's you guy's must be pretty young. There are a lot of teams that need good players. Any Black player who plays for Rush needs his head examined. Besides I think Those so-called "Good Americans" Rush represents would love and support an all White team. He's made enough money off of their separatist views so this would be his way of giving back!

Posted by: minco_007 | October 7, 2009 11:04 AM

It would be interesting to see how Rush would spin every Ram's loss and blame it on a Liberal conspiracy. What a joke and he is a total waste of space.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 7, 2009 11:06 AM

I feel sorry for the Jakedogo30 person... that is a really sad comment.

Posted by: Aneko | October 7, 2009 11:12 AM

I think Keenan meant to type dominant(LY) Black league..he's not a writer..he catches footballs for a living, give him a break...lol

Ok..first of all..I didn't see anything racist about Rush's McNabb comment. I actually thought it was pretty on point..I know PLENTY of people who wanted McNabb to succeed just so he could knock that "black QBs can't pass" myth out of the water or prove it true..either way...massive pressure on McNabb due to the color of his skin...especially when he wasn't that good at the time...(just speaking the truth)

However, that one comment I agree on, does not erase ALL of the various other racist/sexist/elitist things he spews. For those who say he's not racist..you're only lying to yourselves..

Slavery a 'good thing'?
Downing the middle class and joking about the recession because he didn't feel it?
Playing the "Magic Negro" song on his show and not denouncing it...

Yea, I'm sure the players would love to be 'owned' by this wannabe-slave driver...

I see trade requests and regular holdouts if Rush gets his way...plus EVEN LESS fans paying to see the Rams..

(I miss STL's Superbowl 34 days)

Posted by: OneGovt_Worker | October 7, 2009 11:21 AM

If you don't think that Rush Limbaugh is a racist, you are plain f-ing stupid. Or a ditto-head, which basically is one in the same.

Posted by: strictly_liberal | October 7, 2009 11:30 AM

Well, with the drug lord around, you'll have segregated buses to get to the games. They'll have bars on the windows and armed guards for the travel..I'm sure if you recite at least ten rethuglican talking points from the approved list of the day, you might even get segregated planes if it's an away game !!

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | October 7, 2009 11:39 AM

McNabb was awful when Rush made his comments.

Black American needs to get a grip and face race conversations head-on.

A comment about a QB makes one a racist?

What Rush said about McNabb wasn't racism, in fact, Rush accused the media of racial bias.

Instead of discussing what Rush said in a meaningful way ESPN fired Rush.

What about discussing the issue?

Getting fired is code for Whitey Shut Up...

Black America wants to talk AT white America about race... that is not a dialogue.

Posted by: ravioliman6666 | October 7, 2009 12:12 PM

Are these posts by Wash Post staff or is it just that all the Rush fans are at work and don't have time to type?

The magic negro came from the LA Times.

Posted by: glink134683 | October 7, 2009 12:18 PM

It's good to see that all of the Liberal Race Pimps are out in force today. I have to get back to work, you kids stay out of the street ok?

Posted by: robtr | October 7, 2009 12:27 PM

I want Rush to fail. Seriously. I want him to buy the Rams, then fail miserably, because he is against everything we believe in. I want the rest of the league to anoint the Limbaugh-led Rams the token jerk-off team, and disrespect it as strongly as they possibly can.

Hey, ain't that what Limbaugh said about Obama?

Posted by: swatkins1 | October 7, 2009 12:54 PM

"I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark"

"You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed."

No, this guy is not a racist

Posted by: mikenimzo | October 7, 2009 1:59 PM

Think about it: left-wing San Francisco and the Rams run by Rush as division rivals? That's as intense as it gets.

Posted by: nolaman1 | October 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Limbaugh's apologists just don't get it. He made up blatant BS about the media going easy on McNabb. Then Limbaugh presents his BS as fact and claims it all happened because McNabb is black.

Simply because it is no longer permissible to use the N-word, does not mean that racism is dead. As a previous post mentioned, comments about "taking the bone" out of your nose and even more recent comments about how in Obama's America, whites get beat up and blacks cheer, are business as usual for Limbaugh.

I don't know what is in his heart. maybe is like the pro wrestling villain who is secretly a terrific person when not "on the job".

but the fact is that Limbaugh earns his living by appealing to racial animosity.

Posted by: anthony002 | October 7, 2009 7:50 PM

Of course Rush is a racist. There's no secret in that. Rush's racially-slanted humor and views carry a lot of weight with the low-brow Neanderthals that like to refer to themselves as "dittoheads". He allows them to share their mean-spirited inconsequential little racist views under the veil of "conservative talk radio", and live vicariously through him.

The NFL shouldn't make the same idiotic mistake that ESPN made by bringing that drug-addled OxyContin-popping douchebag in. The NFL hasn't had an overtly racist owner since George Preston Marshall. Hmmm, wonder what team HE used to own? Inquiring minds want to know....

Posted by: owiz | October 8, 2009 12:54 PM

What surprises me more than anything is that these petit white supremacists are mad about being called racist when they say or do something that is racist. Why do they cry so loudly? In the old days, bad for many but good to some, at least the racists were honest and proud of their ignorance. Now they get mad when someone calls them out for their "heartfelt, honest opinions."
Maybe the rams could get a name change to the Saint Louis Nightriders? Or the Mystic Knights of the Saint Louis Creepy Farm Animals?

Posted by: sparkplug1 | October 8, 2009 6:05 PM

You think the Rams suck now? Wait until Rush buys the team & they try to lure free agents.

Mr. McCardell's "if I were a free agent it would be really hard for me to want to play for him" quote is the nice, public way of saying what most NFL players really think. Which is: no way in hell would I ever play for that m*****f***ing racist piece of s***.

And sorry but a bunch of dittoheads saying "he's not a racist" on the WaPo comments section isn't going to make a lick of difference to the players.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | October 8, 2009 6:20 PM

I don't see any African-Americans playing for him. He would turn the Rams into the 1961 Washington Redskins, the last all-white NFL team. I think they won one game that season.

Posted by: RobRoy1 | October 10, 2009 6:10 PM

Sports had a lot to do with inspiration.
I don't see RL being inspiration for black players to play for. Black players will be fired up to make St. Louis Ram stay in last place. Rush Lim, it a bad business decision. Think about.

Posted by: jjones2630 | October 10, 2009 9:08 PM

Rush is a racist and the people who agree with his comments about black people are racist too? What could be more racist than the song "Barack the Magic Negro"? It is disingenous to say that it isn't because the person who coined the phrase was a biracial gay man. What could be more racist than saying that in Barack Obama's America black kids beat up white kids while other black kids cheer "Right on, right on"? Rush is a racist as are many of his Dittoheads. He is also an idiot if he did not anticipate this kind of reaction. The only people who support rush are the Dittoheadiots and they are a minority of the country. You can not be such a divisive person and insult so many segments of the population and then expect to be accepted by the mainstream. You can not go on the radio and say you hope that the President of the United States fails and then expect the majority of Americans to think you are an okay guy.
The only thing better than this would be seeing Glenn Beck try and buy an NBA team.

Posted by: exbrown | October 15, 2009 8:18 AM