The League

Jason Brewer
Eagles Blogger

Jason Brewer

An economics student at Fordham University who runs Bleeding Green Nation

Cowboys bandwagon pathetic

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

Now here's a topic I could write a book on...

There's a lot of reasons people hate the Cowboys but, in my opinion, the biggest is that guy wearing the Cowboys jacket in your office. Or that guy wearing the Aikman jersey in your local bar. Or that guy driving around with a Cowboys bumper sticker. Wherever you are in this country, you know the guy I'm talking about. He's the same guy in every state, in every town that decided to jump on the Cowboys bandwagon despite having no connection whatsoever to the city of Dallas or the state of Texas.

Despite our rivalry, I have no problem with real Dallas fans. Those people that go to the stadium every week and live in the area are just regular football fans supporting their home team. I'll never understand the bandwagoners though. What fun is it to sit alone in your house with no friends hoping that the Cowboys aren't playing at the same time as the local team in the hopes that you'll actually get to watch them? If they win, you have no friends to celebrate with. When the Eagles win, I get to celebrate with 60,000 other fans at the Linc or with a few hundred other fans at a local bar. My friends, family, and the people I grew up with are all Eagles fans and we enjoy football together. I get to pick up my morning paper and read all about my team, I get tune in to the local radio stations who all talk about my team. I get to savor my team's success in a way these bandwagon Dallas fans never will.That aspect of community is what makes football so great. It's what makes sports great and it's something the bandwagon fans will sadly never experience.

They'll certainly act like it though. That lone guy wearing the Cowboys jersey in your local bar will always be quick to tell you about all the Super Bowls his team won, but of course he won't be able to tell you about any of the parades he went to... In the end, this picture I took on my way home one day will illustrate why everyone hates the Cowboys better than anything I could ever write.

They're soulless.

By Jason Brewer  |  November 20, 2009; 9:22 AM ET  | Category:  Dallas Cowboys , Philadelphia Eagles Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Keep Dallas in Dallas | Next: Like Yanks, Cowboys under microscope

Comments

Cowboys have fans around the globe because of our long history of success and our tradition of excellence. The Eagles have drunk idiots who don't the first thing about football but think Michael Vick will help them win games. Sour grapes if you ask me.

Posted by: dontmessTX | November 20, 2009 12:49 PM

You're right. They are souless. But it's not their fault. They lost their soul the day Jerry Jones bought the team.

Posted by: West3 | November 20, 2009 3:49 PM

There's some people you just can't reach...

It is still the 1860's in tx. One day they'll understand that dallas isn't the confederacy.

Posted by: BIGHITTER | November 20, 2009 5:38 PM

So are you saying that if you had to move away from Philly, you'd suddenly drop the Eagles and become a fan of the home team? What if your job (or something) required you to move to Dallas? Instant Cowboys fan? There are people who don't live in/near Dallas who have perfectly good reasons to be fans. Both of my parents grew up in Dallas and I spent my early childhood in southern Oklahoma. I've been a Cowboys fan since that time and I'll never quit, no matter where I happen to live!

Posted by: dryw1 | November 22, 2009 11:28 AM

Hey Dryw1,

Read the sentence from the original author:

"He's the same guy in every state, in every town that decided to jump on the Cowboys bandwagon despite having no connection whatsoever to the city of Dallas or the state of Texas,"

No connection is the key. In your case, your parents were fans and you grew up near Dallas. Having lived all over the country I can tell you that what Jason says is 100% accurate. There are Cowboys fans in every city who have NO connection to Dallas but it was convenient to say they were a fan when their original team started sucking in the 70's or 90's. It is cheap and soulless to abandon your original team and is the worst case of bandwagoner there is.

Posted by: Dawk | November 24, 2009 3:13 PM

Dontmesstx,

If it was sour grapes we'd actually hate the fans of teams with MORE championships like the Steelers, Packers, Giants, etc. Those teams are not even referenced in this article. The Cowboys are not the only team that has won Super Bowls but they do have the overwhelmingly most amount of bandwagon fans.

You express the kind of ignorance that we have come to expect and loathe from a Cowboys fan.

Posted by: Dawk | November 24, 2009 3:23 PM

First, i completely agree that cowboys fans are soulless. The REAL reason that some many people in their late 30's and early 40's are Cowboy's fans is because a lot of times back when they were growing up, the Cowboys were the only team that was televised every sunday, especially back in the 70's when the Cowboys first got good. Little kids saw the Cowboys beating up on people and wanted to root for the team that wins. Same principle in the 90's to a lesser extent. As children, they jumped on this Bandwagon and never got off. there is only one explanation for why something like this would happen....BAD PARENTING. Everyone knows that no self respecting fan would let their children do such a dispicable act, unless of course you live near Dallas making it ok

Posted by: kcebula412 | November 24, 2009 4:11 PM