The League

Dave Goldberg
Sports Reporter

Dave Goldberg

Covered the NFL for the AP for 25 years and now is a senior NFL writer for Fanhouse.com

Feeling Minnesota

CLICK TO REACT Facebook

If the Saints and Colts were to meet on a neutral field... the Minnesota Vikings would win.

But since we're talking hypothetical here, give me the Colts.

Why? Because they've been through hard times. Or rather "hard times,'' trailing in the fourth quarter of their last five games. The Saints just blow people out, so who knows how they react in a tight game. They probably react well, but I haven't seen it yet.

But I have seen Bill Belichick go for a fourth and two in an effort to run out the clock rather than give Peyton Manning time to come down the field for the winning touchdown. Yeah, he might do it with Drew Brees after getting picked apart by Brees Monday night but again.

I haven't seen it yet.

As I noted, I don't like hypotheticals, although I've certainly done this sort of thing enough times. You know, those "Who will win the Super Bowl and why'' that a lot of us do the week before the game.

I'm usually wrong.

So that's why I like the Vikings. To be honest, I think they're the best team in football.

In this one ... Give me the Colts.

By Dave Goldberg  |  December 4, 2009; 10:37 AM ET  | Category:  Indianapolis Colts , Minnesota Vikings , New Orleans Saints Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Colts by a nose | Next: Vegas line

Comments

But for a blown official's call in Pittsburgh, the Vikes would also be undefeated. What then between 3 undefeated ones? I take the Vikings on a neutral field.

Posted by: minnelusa | December 5, 2009 10:01 AM

You don't know how the Saints react in a close game? Maybe you should go back and watch the Falcons - Saints game. Or the Bills - Saints game? Or the Panthers - Saints game? And maybe you'll see how the games were close thru the 1st 3 quarters, and then the Saints pulled away and/or closed the game.

Or maybe more foretelling than any of these is the Dolphins - Saints game, where we saw the Saints score 36 2nd half points and will their way to victory with composure.

Maybe then you'll know which team to pick.

Posted by: atmf96 | December 5, 2009 3:40 PM

Wow...that was a really poorly conceived post. Almost unintelligible. Were you drunk, hungover, or just suffering from a severe case of the stupids when you wrote this?

Posted by: cavalier1 | December 5, 2009 10:40 PM

I take that Wow and raise it. What a poor, miscalculated bet on a primadonna that has nothing to do with Colts vs. Saints. That primadonna kisses himself on the mirror. You do have a severe case of just stupid. While Farve winks, Peyton is staring a hole right through you. Colts vs. Saints. That would be a real find game. Yea. And I am a die-hard Fins fan. From back when they were just an idea. It is Sunday. I am ready for some Football.

Posted by: louisewilson1 | December 6, 2009 11:36 AM

Posted by: louisewilson1 | December 6, 2009 11:38 AM

Goldberg you should have stayed retired. Something must be wrong with your glasses or your mind. Minnesota???? Com'on Man!! Did you see or did you not see what the Cardinals did to the Vikings? Who have they beat with a winning record? Cincy?? Look they play Detroit twice the Bears and Green Bay who is beating bottom feeding teams late in the season. Who has the best record against winning teams? The Colts and The Saints. The Colts and the Saints have both been through tough games. The difference both have come out with wins. Unlike the Vikings. As far as a neutral field goes that's why they play the season to get in postion to have a home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Saints are doing what nobody in the league wants them to do. Get home field advantage--- Ask the Pats, Giants and after this Saturday Night the Cowboys what its like playing in that Dome with 80,000 "who dats" screaming their heads off for three hours. No teams wants to go in there and play that team. I don't see anyone going through New Orleans and winning come playoff time.

Posted by: freegumbo | December 16, 2009 6:42 PM