Not Just Another Sorry, No-Account Sports Blog
Home | What Is This? | Columns and Chats | PTI | RSS Feed

In Wilbon's World

Wilbits: NFL Week 3

Reflections on Week 3 and how my picks panned out ...

Three Best Games

1) Vikings over 49ers, 27-24. This is what annoys me about Brett Favre's annual "should-I-or-shouldn't I" nonsense. There's no need for all the self-created drama because the rest of us can see HE CAN STILL PLAY! Favre's TD pass to the back of the end zone with two seconds left to beat the Niners has to be one of the dozen or so best passes of his career, and one of the most dramatic considering the circumstances. ... Niners are pretty darned good.

2) Jacksonville over Houston, 31-24. A thriller. The Texans could be the heartbreak team of the 2009 season. Their defense is dreadful, enough so that Maurice Jones-Drew shredded it pretty much by himself for three TDs.

3) TIE...Bears over Seahawks, 25-19. Jay Cutler has already played in three thrillers, and has won the last two. He's making Devin Hester look like something approaching a No. 1 receiver after all. Steelers last week, in Seattle this week ... this is why the Bears gave up so much to get him.

Jets over Titans, 24-17. Mark Sanchez looks like a star-in-the-making, which probably keeps Dan Snyder awake at night, and Tennessee's Kerry Collins suddenly looks old ... sometimes really old. Jets at 3-0 is every bit as shocking as the Titans at 0-3 ...

Three picks I nailed

1) Lions over Redskins. Jim Zorn must have had the worst game of any head coach in the league. His decision to pass up a field goal and go for it (unsuccessfully) on fourth down in the first quarter backfired. His decision to accept the penalty and push the Lions back before their first TD backfired. And worst of all, how do you not throw once into the end zone on the final four passes. ... Hook-and-lateral? If you want to surprise the defense, try it on first down ... or second down ... NOT ON THE FINAL PLAY OF THE GAME! Nobody's falling for that junk. Oh my goodness! What an unimaginative set of plays to end the game.

2) Ravens over Browns. "By a lot" I believe is what I predicted. And it was.

3) Eagles over the Chiefs. I shouldn't gloat because it was too easy a pick. ... The Michael Vick conversation should be kept to a minimum. He had zilch to do with this win. Kevin Kolb might be pretty good, huh?

Ooooops!

1) Tampa Bay over the Giants. Clearly, I took Jim Zorn pills before coming up with this as my "upset pick of the week." What it turned out to be was the plain dumb pick of the week.

2) Did I really say "Houston convincingly"?

3) Titans over Jets. Just couldn't see Tennessee starting 0-3. Their season is hanging by a thread and we're not even to October yet.

By

Michael Wilbon

|  September 28, 2009; 9:38 AM ET  |  Category:  NFL , Wilbits Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: A Dish-y Day for Football | Next: Concussions, Commentary

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

Re Pitchman99's comments about the NYT. Are you on the Redskins' P.R. department payroll, or do they just pay you a fee for every comment you post?

Posted by: FlaSkins | September 30, 2009 1:17 PM
Report Offensive Comment

President of the United States has just found a way to get the Redskins players to score!

He has decided to create a End Zone Stimulus Package for EACH player that scores a TD for the Redskins. The amount is $200,000.00 per TD!

(What the players don't know is, when the end of the season has come, the President will issue "IOUs".)

Posted by: ByRon12 | September 30, 2009 3:18 AM
Report Offensive Comment

While we were all poo-pooing Dan Snyder and the Redskins the last few days, the New York Times actually ran a pretty good story about Tanya Snyder and her efforts to help fight breast cancer.

I am embarrassed that the Washington Post would commit at least 4 journalists daily to saying the same thing over and over again (we're pessimistic about the 'Skins...I get it) and miss this important human interest story about OUR club.

How sad that Hamilton, Wise, Maese, Feinstein, Boswell, Reid, Steinberg, Boren et. al. were scooped by the NYT because they were too busy gutter sniping the Redskins. The local Washington readers missed out on getting solid local coverage on Mrs. Snyder and an important issue.

Wake up and start giving us intelligent comprehensive news.

Posted by: PitchMan99 | September 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Report Offensive Comment

After reading your chat transcript I’d like to ask you to take up a cause: Most Skins fans appear to want to get rid of Dan Snyder and it seems pretty universal that he’s not learning from his mistakes and his reputation is driving away top coaches.

Well, there’s only one way I can figure out to get him out and this is where we need your support in getting the word out: Fans have to stop buying anything related to the Washington Redskins. That means tickets, jerseys, everything. Force the franchise to become a money-losing entity and eventually he’ll sell. I don’t know if others will buy into this, but it’s been great for me so far, the extra money is coming in very handy!

Thanks

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 29, 2009 10:48 AM

Wilbon,

Why aren't you writing columns? You're collecting big money for doing minimum work. Guess you know what it feels like to be a Redskin...ZING!

Seriously, I don't care what all these knuckleheads think. I care what YOU think.

Posted by: newspeak3000 | September 29, 2009 9:21 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Someone already used the "Priceless" gimmick I was going to use, so I'll just say what is obvious...never mind enough people have already said it.

It's sad when Redskins fans are being consoled by Cowboy fans. McNabb should have been keeping an eye on Kolb and not worrying whether the "Newsies" were talking up Vick.

I agree with the other bloggers: either fans should boo the orginal problem for the team (Owner Dan Snyder) or hit him in the pocket where it hurts by protesting a game.

Posted by: haycoach | September 29, 2009 7:11 AM
Report Offensive Comment

So we are currently not any good... so freakin what!

I rather we keep improving than appear good and then fizzle out... the good thing is that I can see some improvements... we just need to get off the field on third downs... We are just plain atrocious on 3rd down defense...

Posted by: samiismoni14 | September 28, 2009 7:13 PM
Report Offensive Comment

HAIL TO THE 4 SKINS, HAIL FAIL YEE URE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HEEHEEHEEHHEHEE.

A COWBOY FAN. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

WE THOUGHT WE HAD THE WORST OWNER IN THE NFL............THIS GUY MAKES JONES LOOK LIKE A GENIUS.

Posted by: austinbigboy2000 | September 28, 2009 6:45 PM
Report Offensive Comment

oops - that was supposed to be the *3* picks nailed...

Posted by: funkey | September 28, 2009 4:09 PM
Report Offensive Comment

the 23 picks you 'nailed' were the basic gimmes of the week. an odds-maker you ain't...

Posted by: funkey | September 28, 2009 4:08 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The whole week i just kept thinking there is no way the 'skins are going to actually loose to the lowly Lions. We always beat the Lions. Surely every player had heard the talk about them losing that game. I even tried to use the reverse psychology on myself saying all week, "watch them loose this game". Never really thinking it would happen. How could it?? I guess my math was bad. Should have recognized that Zorn (inexperienced, scared to make a bad call, in over his head) + Blanche (afraid to blitz regulary at the fear of getting beat with the big play) = Losing (to the worst team in the league). Mike, you obviously had the formula down. Bravo!

Posted by: ralston21 | September 28, 2009 3:24 PM
Report Offensive Comment

This World Wide Wilbon thing is terrible. Why do this if you're not going to make an effort? There are parts of this section that haven't been updated in 2 weeks. WTF.

Posted by: thediesel | September 28, 2009 3:04 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I have a suggestion! why don't you Redskin fans take University of Maryland football players and dress them in a Redskins uniform, maybe then they will win a game or even score some needed touchdowns. Better yet sit down and watch a real team play like my GIANTS, maybe the Redskins could learn something. Jim Zorn is not the problem its the entire team, NO HEART!!!

Posted by: oramosmd | September 28, 2009 2:32 PM
Report Offensive Comment

How can you just blame the coach. The entire team is useless. There is no pride and or cohesiveness. There is no group thought, just a dysfunctional team.

The owners do not help. As long as fans continue to support them financially the Redskins will only continue to be snider's cash cow.

Posted by: moemongo | September 28, 2009 2:12 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Dan Snyder has just hired a team of private investigators to help the Skins find the endzone…

Posted by: cromag23 | September 28, 2009 1:42 PM
Report Offensive Comment

For those who bare going to the Bucs game this Sunday!! Can we get a "Snyder you suck" chant going. I think that is the only thing that can save my season at this point. If all 97K were chanting that, it would be the greatest thing ever!!!! Spread the word

Posted by: cromag23 | September 28, 2009 1:20 PM
Report Offensive Comment

can jack kent cooke come back in jesus,s place ?

Posted by: tird45 | September 28, 2009 1:13 PM

Chicken finger meal at Fed-Ex stadium - $20
Just to watch these bums play from the nosebleeds - $150
To get rid of a coach who's NEVER been a coordinator - $9million
Haynesworth being carted off the field -$100 million

The look on EVERY Deadskins fans face yesterday - PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DrayDay | September 28, 2009 12:59 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I have disagree with the Kerry Collins showing his age comment. He was very accurate and throwing the ball on a line.

Posted by: chillsonic | September 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I still don't see how going for it on 4th and goal from the 2 on your first possession of the game is a bad decision.

Posted by: Hobes | September 28, 2009 12:43 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Got off a plane from Chicago in time to get home and see the end of the Skins/Lions and Titans/Jets: As a lifetime "long-suffering" Jets fan, it is great to see them at 3-0! As a 20 year Washingtonian I have a lot of empathy for Redskins fans who have lost that sense of entitlement they felt when I moved here.

Posted by: larrybellinger | September 28, 2009 12:36 PM
Report Offensive Comment

What happened to Portis. Im not saying there is something wrong with him, but why did he only touch the ball 4 times in the first half against the Lions defense. Apparantly Zorn has no clue what made the Redskins decent for the last 5 years. It looks as if Zorn is taking the questions about the passing game and the red zone woes personally and trying to prove a point instead of coaching football.

Posted by: iKickBallz | September 28, 2009 11:55 AM
Report Offensive Comment

It's not JC's fault. He played a good game. But the coaching is inhibiting him from being the player he can really be. The senior leadership on the team vice coaches need to circle the wagons and salvage the season.

Posted by: classicskins | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Nice blog post. Wilbon, this is definitely the best blog on the site. And I can see how it's not just another sorry, no account-sports blog, of which you are intimately familiar having read precisely zero blogs ever. There is a lot of accountability in these words. So much accountability, i just pooped my pants.

Nice blog. Can't wait to read more of this blog. You seem like a great blogger.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 28, 2009 11:17 AM