Not Just Another Sorry, No-Account Sports Blog
Home | What Is This? | Columns and Chats | PTI | RSS Feed

In Wilbon's World

Pick Against Mike: Week 6

Editors Note: After reading Wilbon's picks, test your prognostication skills by signing up for Post Pro Picks.

Houston at Cincinnati
Is it safe to start picking the Bengals? Well, we'll tip-toe carefully into the water. Bengals in a close one.

Detroit at Green Bay
If the Packers are going to keep up with the Vikings and Bears this becomes an important game to win at home.

Baltimore at Minnesota
Should be two of the top five defenses in the league, but both have struggled at times. Looking for an upset? Ravens, steamed over back-to-back losses, take out their aggravation on the Vikes.

Giants at New Orleans
Game of the Week matching two of the top three offenses in the league and two of the top six defenses in the league. Winner takes over the "Best Team in the League" title for a week. Saints defense gets after Eli Manning just enough to make the difference. Saints at home.

Browns at Steelers
Cleveland's 31st -ranked offense in the league is going to be swallowed whole by the Steelers and their fourth-ranked defense. Could be ugly. Pittsburgh big.

Carolina at Tampa
If Tampa is going to win a game at all this season -- big if -- this might have to be the one. Buccaneers finally get one.

Chiefs at Redskins
Will "siege mentality" help or hurt Redskins, or will it even matter? No matter what you think of the Redskins, Chiefs are dead-last in total defense and 30th (out of 32 teams) in total offense. If Redskins can't win this game the players and coaches ought to walk through the stands apologizing to individual ticket buyers.

Rams at Jacksonville
Another straight-up stinker. But an easy call ... Jaguars, smarting over embarrassing no-show in Seattle, win big at home.

Cardinals at Seahawks
When Matt Hasselbeck plays, the Seahawks look like world beaters. He's playing, the Cards don't travel well, Seattle at home.

Philly at Oakland
Raiders are going to trip up some east coast team that cannot be convinced to pay attention to them, but the Eagles aren't that team. Philly big.

Titans at Patriots
Stunning how quickly the Titans have become a bad team. Patriots have to climb back after last week's loss in Denver. Patriots big at home.

Bills at Jets
Bills coming to town is just what you need after losing two straight. Jets get turned around ... for now.

Bears at Atlanta
Falcons starting to find out they're actually a good team, maybe a very good team. Falcons stop Chicago's three-game winning streak.

Denver at San Diego
The Chargers don't feel like playing half the time. But they get up for the games when everybody's watching and we all are just starting to think they're a giant waste of time. If they lose this game, wave bye-bye to a division title. Chargers save their season at home.

By

Michael Wilbon

|  October 15, 2009; 12:22 PM ET  |  Category:  NFL Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Judgment Day | Next: NFL Report Card: Week 6

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

Please don't ever pick the Birds to win by a mile. When I read you pick, I thought "There is the kiss of death". Sure enough, unfortunately, my fears came to be true.
I have been a Philadelphia fan all of my life, and have seen that happen too many times.
Thanks in advance in considering my request.

Posted by: phillyfan2 | October 18, 2009 7:48 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Limbaugh's comments about Mcnabb are right on.Mcnabb is not a top quality QB,he chokes on the big games.To be sure he is a good quaterback,but that's it.The Steelers stuck with C.Stuart,because I believe they wanted a black QB.Look where it got them.How many black QB's could call their own game,like they used to do,I would say only one,W.Moon,now he was a great QB.It's pretty dam bad when you can't give an negative opinion of anyone that's black.

Posted by: esibmr | October 18, 2009 12:38 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Wilbon was right on the money. This guy thinks without a doubt Rush spouts racists rhetoric and ideas that appeal to the insane. I have had enough of these fringe nut jobs getting any traction with their subversive ideas. In my humble opinion they are traitors to America. I mean - who roots against their own country getting the Olympics and boos when the President is presented with a Nobel Peace Prize? Even if you don't like the man - respect the office.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | October 17, 2009 7:07 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Wilbon, when are you going to publicly apologize to Limbaugh for attributing to him quotes he never said?

Posted by: guest1 | October 17, 2009 5:35 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Mike, you're letting YOUR racism show.

Limbaugh 45 Wilbon 0

Posted by: jnsbear | October 16, 2009 11:27 PM
Report Offensive Comment

My response to Wilbon's column on Rush Limbaugh.

Mike,

I've been a reader and fan of yours for the better part of 20 years. I have never felt so compelled to write to you as I have after reading today's column on Rush Limbaugh. I am a conservative who has spent his entire career fighting against racial and ethnic discrimination. And I wanted to share with you my objections to your column, which I've begun to circulate:

Wilbon on Rush

You'd be hard pressed to find a more off base, irresponsible rant than Mike Wilbon's column on Rush Limbaugh in today's Washington Post. Even as a lifelong conservative, you won't hear me defending Rush Limbaugh very often. I don't agree with him on a host of issues. But the racism charge made by Wilbon is just plain reprehensible. I've listened to Rush for years, and the man is anything, anything, but a racist. Limbaugh's seven-year old remark about Donovan McNabb being the product of the NFL hyping a black quarterback was in my opinion inaccurate, but it was not racist either.

It's Wilbon who, time and time and time again, has claimed he wants more honest and open discussions on racial issues. And here we have Wilbon, blatantly insinuating that Rush Limbaugh is a racist, repeatedly, simply because Limbaugh made a comment--however wrong it may be--about McNabb's hype having something to do with his skin color.

Wilbon makes judgements all the time based on race. He did so in this very column about white NFL owners. Look, political correctness in America is all around us. The NFL goes out of its way to promote, some would argue illegally, black coaches to the detriment of coaches of any other skin color...because that's the politically correct thing to do. It is therefor not so far-fetched (and certainly not racist) to make the assumption that the NFL in some ways also promotes its black quarterbacks. The fact that McNabb has never needed any such hype, and probably has never been the benefactor of it, is irrelevant. Limbaugh was wrong on this issue, but that does not make him a racist.

I have always respected Wilbon. But when it comes to race issues, there is no one in the mainstream of sports journalism more off base than he. And his and the NFL's attacks on Rush Limbaugh as a racist are far, far worse than anything Limbaugh has ever said about McNabb. How are we to have this open and honest conversation on race that Wilbon has often called for if those who speak honestly and openly on racial issues are branded "racists" without any evidence to support it? The contradiction is beyond astounding.

This reader thinks he needs some serious self-evaluation on all matters relating to race.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 2:11 PM