The Wilbon Index: Top College Teams
What a disappointment the college football season has been so far. There have been a few decent games, mostly involving Notre Dame (vs. Michigan, vs. Michigan State, vs. Purdue), but also involving Florida State (vs. Miami) and USC (vs. Ohio State and vs. Washington). But there haven't been very many attractive matchups; last week was a veritable dog week for college football. Penn State vs. Iowa was the prime-time offering? This week ...
And there's clearly no super team. Four one-loss teams are already in the AP top 10. Michigan, whose coach (Rich Rodriguez) people wanted to walk the plank to start the season, is ranked 22nd. Southern Cal, which was popped by Washington just a couple of weeks ago, has already been recycled up to No. 7 even with that loss. Virginia Tech, which was smoked by Alabama, has somehow snuck back up to No. 6.
It's very, very difficult to see anybody going undefeated in the regular season -- besides Boise State, that is. Actually, it's nice to see three teams outside the BCS heavyweights ranked in the AP top 12: Boise at No. 5, TCU at No. 11 and Houston at No. 12.
We might get a few decent matchups this week, including fourth-ranked LSU visiting 18th-ranked Georgia; Washington at Notre Dame, No. 8 Oklahoma at 17th-ranked Miami, and 7th-ranked USC at 24th-ranked Cal. If no team emerges as great, let's hope the season at least yields a lot more great games.
1) Florida -- The Gators have looked great for a couple of quarters but don't have any real competition (yet) for the top spot.
2) Texas -- Will we really know about the Longhorns before the Oklahoma matchup in a couple of weeks?
3) Alabama -- Why do I think the Tide might just be at the top of this index and all the polls going into the SEC Championship game in December?
4) Boise State -- Needs to just keep on winning while the BCS teams stumble.
5) LSU -- Need to survive Georgia before getting Florida at home next week.
6) Iowa -- Hawkeyes have to be rewarded for thumping Penn State.
7) TCU -- Went on the road and smacked two ACC teams (Virginia and Clemson).
9) Virginia Tech
10) Cincinnati - I wouldn't dare take them in a matchup against Oregon, but 4-0 should be rewarded.
How would you rank 'em?
Editors' note: The user poll works a little differently this week, with the teams listed in random order. The 13 teams are Wilbon's top 10 plus three other highly-ranked teams.
Michael Wilbon| October 1, 2009; 10:20 AM ET | Category: College Football , Wilbon Index Save & Share:
Previous: Concussions, Commentary | Next: Pick Against Mike: Week 4
Posted by: pfhokie | October 1, 2009 1:33 PM
Report Offensive Comment
The comments to this entry are closed.