Not Just Another Sorry, No-Account Sports Blog
Home | What Is This? | Columns and Chats | PTI | RSS Feed

In Wilbon's World

Best of the decade: top stories

Here are my 20 candidates for top sports story of the decade. You can rank them on the jump -- and if you feel especially passionate about one story, state your case in the comments or email us. We'll publish the best reader takes as separate WWW posts as long as you include your full name and city and state in the comment/email.

By

Michael Wilbon

|  December 14, 2009; 12:04 PM ET  |  Category:  Decade's Best Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Best of the decade: top athletes | Next: Best of the Decade

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

I do agree that the unfortunate "Malice in the Palace" was definitely way up there in terms of importance. As a result of that brawl, we got MUCH tighter security at NBA games and also instituted a tight Rules of Conduct that helped a lot in cleaning up the image of the NBA. Thanks to these changes, the NBA is today more popular than ever, and it even survived the Kobe Bryant scandal (a scandal that could have been just as bad as the Tiger Woods scandal is now).

Posted by: raymondchuang018 | December 24, 2009 4:35 PM
Report Offensive Comment

..draft the rasta-qb from app. state...Gotta love the new dreadlock style, dudes look like Muppets!! "YAAA, We shake it to the left and we shake it to the right!! Smoke ja-ja all day till we can stand up and fight, OI!!" RED LECTROID MAKE THE GANGLION TWEETCH!! IS HIGH-LY SALASSIE, MON!! WAY TO DIDDLE ON THE FIDDLE, SQUIDLY!!! WAY TO RAT-AT-AT-TOUILLE, HEADLEY!!! TELL I.S.I. TO PRINT MORE MONEY FOR I AND I , MON, GOD'S CHILLINS CAN USE THE CONFETTI, MON!!

*** For Sale***
One used intelligence agency, totally unreliable and seditious , but runs, best offer, call WHORE-OF-BABYLON

..draft the rasta-qb, oi..

Posted by: frak | December 15, 2009 12:58 PM
Report Offensive Comment

It is the NHL lockout. But this jackass wouldn't know a hockey puck from a filet mignon.

Posted by: poguesmahone | December 15, 2009 12:41 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The Patriots should be there, but it's the wrong season. The '01 Patriots, I think, were even more remarkable than their '07 successors. A team that practically came out of nowhere to reach the Super Bowl, against the seemingly invincible Rams (a 14-pt. favorite). Then they pull off one of the most stunning upsets in SB history, which in the process served as coming-out parties for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. And of course, all this happened in the shadow of 9/11 - maybe it was destined for a team named 'Patriots' to win that season.

Posted by: BMoreChil | December 15, 2009 8:40 AM
Report Offensive Comment

dcsportsfan1:

The NHL lockout is on Mike's "overlooked" list. Admittedly, it's a fine distinction.

Jon DeNunzio
The Washington Post

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | December 14, 2009 3:41 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The criminal activity of that NBA Ref. rates as the number one story! I feel that anyone that engages in criminal activity should be shamed and jailed as this person was...I feel the same about the Patriot Organization. They paid out millions of dollars to meet their punishment...At this stage of my life, I do not trust any victory by this organization...Once a cheater...ALWAYS a cheater. You might just note that I rated these events based on LAW breaking!

Posted by: coachslife | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM
Report Offensive Comment

how about the NHL lockout. an entire pro sports league shut down for a year. i know it's not the most popular sport around the country, but neither is cycling and it got a mention here.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 14, 2009 1:29 PM