Not Just Another Sorry, No-Account Sports Blog
Home | What Is This? | Columns and Chats | PTI | RSS Feed

In Wilbon's World

Is it time to hang 'em up?

Don't try to separate Brett Favre's full performance from the interception that essentially ended his team's best chance to win the NFC Championship game Sunday. That's who Brett Favre is. The pick is as much his legacy as playing every single game, as leading his team down the field so many times to dramatically win so many games. It's like Reggie Jackson and strikeouts, like Shaq and missed free throws. Brett Favre is one terrific quarterback; he'll take your breath away whether he's throwing it to his guy or your guy.

Yes, he had a wonderful season; how wonderful, at the age of 40, to lead a team to the conference championship game with a 37-touchdown, seven-interception season. Most impressively, perhaps, is that Favre displayed a discipline we didn't see in his gunslinger years. Who even knew he could keep it holstered week after week for an entire regular season?

Right through the final minutes of the championship game it looked as if old Favre had mastered some new tricks. Okay, he'd thrown one interception, but nothing about his performance suggested he was going to try to win the game himself by forcing ridiculous passes or opting to try risky plays. It absolutely looked as if Favre was going to settle for a game-winning, Super Bowl-advancing field-goal attempt...until he ran right and threw left across his body.

Favre, it turned out, couldn't help himself entirely. And he never has been able to. He leads his team brilliantly, which is how he got to two Super Bowls, won one and rewrote sections of the NFL record book. Favre throws the critical interception, too, which is why Favre isn't in that top group of all-time quarterbacks, the group that includes Otto Graham, John Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway and Tom Brady.

Interceptions at the end of playoff games--and Favre has had sabotaged his team with three such interceptions in three OT playoff losses the last six years--keep you out of that group. And please, don't tell me about the 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty that pushed the Vikings back five yards. Favre is too good, his weapons in that Minnesota team too vast for him to be unable to find a play to pick up 10 yards rather than throw that pick.

Favre has earned every bit of credit he's received over the years and every bit of blame he's gotten for the killer interceptions. A veteran defensive back, just before the NFC Championship game began, told me that he thought Favre would be both brilliant and maddening in the title game, just as he so often has been in his career, and that veteran DB was right on the money. Favre is indeed the three-run home run and the strikeout swinging for the fences when a sacrifice fly would win the game. He didn't just play well Sunday in New Orleans; he played with guts considering he took more body shots than Ali did from Foreman and dragged his 40-year-old body back into the battle every time he was knocked down.

And now the waffling begins. Will Favre or won't Favre? There are 230 days between now and Week 1 of the NFL season and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Favre takes every one of those days (again) to decide what in the world he'll do for the 2011 season. He told ESPN's Ed Werder it's "highly unlikely" he'll play again. Perhaps the Vikings won't want him back, though that would qualify as a surprise. And if the Vikings don't call, why wouldn't the Cardinals if Kurt Warner retires, as many expect?

Favre will drag this out because that, like throwing interceptions, is now part of his legacy. There should be no question, really, because Favre's too good to retire now. Despite the drama, he loves playing too much, loves the streak of consecutive starts, loves the touchdown passes, loves defeating the people who think he's done, loves everything about it probably except the interceptions.

Favre ought to play, and he ought not to make some rash decision while the purple bruises cover his body in the hours after getting beat on by the Saints. He got the Vikings too close to quit now. He's too close to that third Super Bowl appearance, that second Lombardi Trophy. With that arm, those eyes, that athleticism, the ability and savvy to lead and win...Brett Favre ought to think the only thing he needs to do is cut out the odd interception, the slip-up, the bad judgment with the game on the line.

Whether he can is what makes watching Favre so utterly irresistible, of course. It's why more people watched his game Sunday than any non-Super Bowl game since 1981. It's why we care.

What's your take?
By

Michael Wilbon

|  January 26, 2010; 7:23 AM ET  |  Category:  NFL Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Wilbon's Super Bowl picks | Next: More questions than answers

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

Brett Favre is very selfish! He will keep telling everyone he is retiring while waiting for the Minnesota training camp to finish. A week before the end of training camp, Favre will have a 'change of heart' and come riding into town to 'rescue Minnesota.'

The bigger question is how many PEDs is this guy taking. His performances are quite reminiscent of Roger Clemens in his later years. Improving while getting older than dirt.

Why isn't the NFL looking into that?

If he were an African-American QB, he would be thrown out of the league by now for this type of behavior.

Posted by: 9W57th | January 27, 2010 4:53 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I am a 29 year Skins fan...faithful to only them. But through the years I have become a fan on the side of not other teams but certain players from teams. Like John Elway for one. I am a Peyton Manning fan and love to watch his progress and route for him all the way (helps that he is on an AFC team). I have also watched, respected, adored, and have been utterly amazed at the awesome talent, guts and leadership that Brett Favre has always shown. Over the years I have enjoyed watching the joy and genuine love of the game that he always displays, on and off the field. So, he has become my all time favorite non Redskins player.

Please do not retire, Brett. With my Skins being such losers for all the years since a certain person purchased them, I need something to route for at the end of each season when I am let down again. I need you and Peyton to watch and feel the joy and love of football that I have, without ever deserting my beloved Skins.

My husband is a Skins fan 1st, Saints fan 2nd, so I had a real rough game last Sunday watching all the cheap shots at Brett and all the poor calls by the officials and actually the poor playing of the Saints in general. Was anyone else watching the 2nd half when they did nothing? That was the worst playing game by the Saints all season, yet they won! Do not tell me that pro football is not fixed. That game proved it to me. Mainly by the play calling of the officials, the lousy offense of the Saints, and also by the many times it looked to me like AP and a couple of the WR's were trying to throw the game.
My husband has been telling me that pro football was fixed for years, but I never, ever believed it...now I do. The Vikings deserved that win, but because the media and everyone else believes that the Saints deserve to win cause of Katrina really makes me angry!!! I lived in NO for awhile and love that city, but come on, this is a football game. The best team deserves to win, by the game being played that day, not a pity party win.

I love a great football game..by that I mean a hard hitting, fair, earn the win game. I feel that did not happen in this game.

By the way, I always hated the Packers. Only liked Brett. I am now a fan of the Vikings for standing by and believing in him like I do, and cause I once lived briefly in that beautiful city.
Also, I am a female whose favorite player of all time is John Riggins, of course! What that has to do with this is beyond even me..just thought I'd throw that in.

Posted by: skinsfan444 | January 27, 2010 3:23 PM
Report Offensive Comment

No slam on Mike Wilbon as I think it was basically a fair and reasoned article by and large. However, the vast majority of radio hosts out there as well as every other talking head is slamming Brett Farve for his last pass, asserting that is what he will be remembered for... This is just a reflection of everything that is wrong with this country. Somehow the body of his work as an NFL QB is measured by less than 1/100,000 of the passes he's thrown. These ego maniac jock sniffing journalist (not you Mike) that throw criticism towards Brett Farve are a joke. I'd love them to spend 60 minutes under center just once, or perhaps once a week when the come to work to criticize someone on a job they are truly clueless on how to do would drop a piano from the ceiling on them about 6 times... I wonder how many seasons/years they want to keeping typing/jawing away if that was part of the job description? Another poster here commented on it's Brett's right to change his mind if he so chooses... Should we take that right away from all citizens???? Maybe that should go along with freedom of the press given what I've heard all week long in regards to Brett Farve. The press loves to create hero's and then waits like wolves for them to make a mistake where they can tear them backdown to their level.

The press wonders why athletes want nothing to do with them most of the time.

Why hasn't the press addressed the Saints trying to knock Brett out of the game with cheap shots over and over, trying to take out his knees ala Brady rule? Late hit after late hit? Why Mike? Why is it that it was a give me FG had Brett not thrown the ball? How many give me much shorter FG's have been missed this post and regular season that cost teams games? What about AP fumbling three times and once on the Saints 6 yard line which would have sealed the game basically. Had the Vikes gotten a TD then the Jock sniffers would have turned their noses on Reggie Bush who supposedly was a complete bust... There is another piece of meat that they've enjoyed tearing apart...

As bad of a decision as Brett made, it doesn't come close to the garbage that spews from the mouths and keyboards of all of his critics who couldn't begin to fathom what it takes to do what Brett's position requires, much more how well he's done it.

Nope, they just want to crucify him because they can't fathom it and need to emasculate him and somehow raise their own sense of manliness.

Instead of appreciating all the great things that Brett has done his whole career. Not many QB's have been more fun to watch... Period.

Pathetic. Hopefully Mike might tackle the press in an article or on PTI. or both.

Posted by: sharkproof | January 27, 2010 11:44 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I am so glad Favre screwed up and threw that late interception. What kind of person would sh_t on their life long Packer fans by going and playing for the arch rival Vikings? That's proof enough for me of his selfishness, ego, and "all about me" attitude. To me, that's like Sonny Jergensen or Joe Theisman leaving the Skins to go play for the Cowboys. I had always admired Favre until he became a Viking (nothing against the Vikings, just Favre). That late interception was poetic justice!

Posted by: shooter1 | January 27, 2010 11:33 AM
Report Offensive Comment

We are a throw-away society. Packer’s management threw Brett Favre aside because they wanted to rebuild. The rebuilding is understandable because Aaron Rogers has a monster arm. However, rather than show an ounce of loyalty toward their veteran quarterback, they decided the best way to get rid of the prior year’s SI Sportsman of the Year, whose image in and out of the locker room was unquestioned, was to hire a political publicist to destroy it. After which, he was labeled selfish, egotistical, and many other negative adjectives that had never been associated with his name. That’s grown into hate. Think I’m exaggerating? Google “hate Favre” and you will get 1,090,000 hits.
How do you hate a man because he is indecisive- even irritatingly so? If he has the humility to joke about that character flaw, why can’t others? It is disgraceful how much joy is derived from this man’s pain and disingenuous how much his every success is mitigated. The next time you bloggers and commenters sit at your keyboards and decide to judge this man remember that one day your name may appear on someone’s media page and you may quickly become hated – then you can experience the fun first hand.
By all accounts Brett Favre is a devoted family man – according to his wife; a philanthropist – according to the millions of dollars he has raised and donated; a loyal friend – according to his team mates; and one of the best quarterbacks to ever throw a football. Does that mean he is perfect? No. Does he make costly mistakes? Yes. That’s what makes him human. Those things as well as his perseverance and his refusal to crumble under the weight of all of this unwarranted hate - for me, that is his legacy… and Brett, I have never enjoyed a football season more. I guess if you can hate someone you’ve never met then you can certainly love someone you’ve never met. I am a fan who loves and appreciates you.

Posted by: RTSisaFavreFan4Ever | January 27, 2010 10:43 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I think I heard Terry Bradshaw say he doesnt like some of the things Favre does but that Favre is the Best QB to ever play the game. Mull that over. Check all the passing records and see who owns most all of them in NFL history.
Favre is a true gunslinger. All QBs in the NFL are modern day gunslingers like Billy The Kid. Sooner or later someone will come along and shoot them down. I remember seeing Joe Montana and Dan Marino and Bradshaw and John Elway and all the rest being thrown around like rag dolls also.
The fact the Favre finished the game is a testament to his toughness. How he popped up from those hits is beyond me.
I went to the same college he did and I am very proud of him.
He really put us on the map.
His career which I have followed since Atlanta drafted him has been spectacular.
A true Hall of Fame QB. They are all good in the NFL or they would not be there. He is one of the best.
I think the home field advantage really swung it the Saints way. I used to live in NOLA so I congratulate the Saints. You took down a champion. It was a great game to watch as was the Jets/Colts game. Great football.
I actually hope Favre retires. His wife looked very worried watching him on the ground after those hits. But if he decides to come back I will always root for him.
It will be hard for him to say no to another chance to play and get paid 13 million dollars for doing what he loves and having fun.

Posted by: joebstewart | January 27, 2010 10:20 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I guess old news is better than no news. Are you still writing? Wow, you need Tony. Where is Tony?

Posted by: KDSmallJr | January 27, 2010 8:48 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Michael, Michael, Michael - you are the last person I would expect to buy into the "forget everything else - what's Favre going to do?" hysteria.

Seriously - that many words for such a ridiculous story? And Monday you and Kornheiser couldn't WAIT to get to the Favre retirement angle.

Please - give it a rest. Let TMZ cover it this time.

Posted by: kemp13 | January 27, 2010 8:29 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I feel the same exact way on Favre, he still can get it done. His numbers were incredible and if the Vikings offense doesn't have a meltdown and turn the ball over 5 times, he would be playing in 2 weeks. If he comes back then the Vikings are right back in the hunt in the NFC!

Posted by: BeltwayBoy | January 27, 2010 7:03 AM
Report Offensive Comment

A DC native currently living in Minneapolis. I hope he returns. I had more fun rooting for my adopted team than the umpteenth straight pathetic performance by the Skins. The Vikes actually remind me of the good old days with the Skins when we were built inside out. Meaning having both an offensive and defensive line to speak of and building around capable lines.

Let's not forget that although that last interception was bad the Vikes looked like they were out the game in the second half on a couple of occasions. He brought them back each time often with completions under duress on 3rd down. Completions that guys like Brady don't make with regularity. The only QB that could do as well under those circumstances is probably Manning and maybe Rodgers who got plenty of practice at it this year. There might be a couple of others but under the pressure of both the defense and the circumstances I'd say the only two QB's capable of coming out on top of a championship game like that are Favre and Manning. So, Indianapolis beats NO as Favre was so close to doing.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 27, 2010 4:49 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Brett along with Bart Starr was all anyone could ever have been granted the privilege of having to entertain us in Wisconsin.

Sunday was just another game that I as a former Packer fan had the hopes for Brett and the Vikings to get the big one.

That's why they play the games, whether it be determined in the early going, this one could have been, but there was an outstanding Saints team that had a point to prove also. Congratulations to the Saints.

All games are about certain plays that have a determining factor on the outcome, but how any individual could take the punishment received in this game only added or detracted from an individuals ability to perform, naturally Brett was not
the only one receiving a pounding, although it seemed that way, it's astounding he finished the game.

It's to bad we have to dwell on are you or are you not returning, but i doubt all we write will have any merit in his decision.

I can only say I've enjoyed all he's done and once he has retired when ever that may be, he deserves to be inducted into the hall of fame as a VIKING not as a packer.

I hope he does so Green Bay fans can have another bashing, this time it will be on them.

COME BACK BRETT, i won't have a team to watch with out you.

Posted by: fivepoints2 | January 26, 2010 11:58 PM
Report Offensive Comment

(linkback) Yes or No? Time for Brett Favre to call it quits? [VOTE] - http://www.pikk.com/9056b

Posted by: kapauldo | January 26, 2010 8:48 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I'm a Colts fan but can't help but admire Brett Favre for the way he played.
Hey you people that are bad mouthing Brett Favre couldn't have watched the same game that I did.
I have the game recorded and the Referee's are on the verge of game fixing with this one when they allowed a touch down when the RB was down on his knee a yard short, how did they miss that one. Second bad call or game fixing as it should be called on that over-time completion. It doesn't matter how many times you look at it the receiver didn't have control of the ball. It was no catch. I can't believe they re-viewed that and didn't turn it over. Three more times The Saints should have been called for roughing the QB on nasty hits on Favre. There isn't a QB who has played the game or will play the game that could have played any better than Favre. He is one hell of a player. You people who say he is a choker are sick and need to see a Shrink your so full of hate. It’s obvious you have never played any football and don't know what its like to get blind sided and hit hard time after time as Favre did. I'd take Favre any day on my team. The Saints played nasty on defense and were out for blood on almost every play. Football is a rough game and in order to win you have to play tough. I was impressed by how well The Saints defense played. Credit to Williams for calling good defensive schemes. As you saw the week before how Brett Favre and the Viking can score points when they ran over Dallas. It was up to the referee's to control these late hits by The Saints which they didn't. Terrible job done by the officials. They helped ensure The Saints won at the end.
The shame of all this is if the referees would have made the right calls The Saints may have won the game anyway due to the fact they are a excellant team.
Favre gave more than 100% in this game.
For all you haters give credit when due.
He has won a Super-Bowl and holds almost every record at QB and played that game like a Gladiator.
I salute Brett Favre, your one hellva player and I hope you come back for one more year.
Looking forward to the Super Bowl. Lets go Colts.

Posted by: chris_newton_cn | January 26, 2010 8:19 PM
Report Offensive Comment

"I was soured on Brett after Green Bay, but after he left the Jets and went to Minn I became a fan again. He worked the system to get to the team that he wanted to play for and stuck it to the Green Bay Management for trying to determine his course when he originally changed his mind on retirement. They weren't building around him to get back to a Super Bowl and he saw potential in his divisional rivals with a coach he respected"

Not quite sure of your logic there - soured on Favre until he signed with Minnie - but, your uninformed comments about the Packers treatment of him say more about how little you must know about building a team than anything else.

Favre's most unlikeable trait is his ego. He really thinks it's all about him. He even made comments to the effect that his history with the Packers entitled him to jerk the front office around for months on end, year after year, as to whether they needed to draft a quarterback or not. He wouldn't even share a locker room with his teammates; he had his own private locker room.

I have to admit, when I heard that one, that was the last straw for me, a lifelong Packer fan (going back to the real "Glory Years," the 1960's).

And, in regard to his lack of respect for his coach in Green Bay, that one really takes the cake. McCarthy resurrected his flagging career by demanding that he play within the system and quit being such a prima donna, wild man with no discipline. All McCarthy has done is have 13 and 11 win seasons out of the last three (and the last was without Mr. All World (in his eyes at least) under center.

Posted by: rjheitman | January 26, 2010 5:57 PM

tinyjab40

I think he should have the right to decide when he retires kind of like the rest of us want. If the sportswriters hang on his nuts thats on them.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 26, 2010 5:20 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Interception? That is his logo.
As a packers fan, I have been watching this guy for so many years. My conclusion is: Brett Favre is a megalomania incompetent hothead over-over-overrated by the media. But for him, the packers could have won more super bowls. Reggie White did much more than him for Greenbay's third championship. The truth is, whenever a big game is on the line, Brett Favre never failed to screw us up.

Moreover, he is an arrogant person without any sense of humility, taking all the credits he did not deserve and avoiding any blame he did. I still remember his first so called "retirement" news conference, where he announced shamelessly that "there is no regret" in his career. No wonder he kept throwing those stupid interceptions afterward. When you do not regret, there is no way you will change the way you play. That is why Jets and Vikings are doomed from the beginning.

For me I am just so happy that this guy did not go to the super bowl because after all, he does not deserve it. Thanks God we have Rogers now and I wish he had retired much earlier. Hi, Brett, please keep flip-flopping and keep screwing other teams, and I wish you will still be playing at age 70. Who cares?

Posted by: weianzhan1 | January 26, 2010 5:09 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I am a Saints fan and I have to say that Favre did not lose the game at all. He played very well and really was dominating on the field. Sure he did throw a last minte interception.. but is was under pressure trying to make something happen. He could have thrown the ball away and tried to leave it to the kicker.. But it would have been just about the longest attempt ever for him and his % is terrible out that far.

Also I will say that there were some pretty bad calls from the officals that cost the Vikings.... so again not Bretts fault there. Not to mention thew fumbles

You know if he comes back next year great.. if not great.. as long as he can play and perform at that level what is the difference? If he can't then he gets cut.. pretty simple.

Posted by: tbastian | January 26, 2010 5:08 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I was soured on Brett after Green Bay, but after he left the Jets and went to Minn I became a fan again. He worked the system to get to the team that he wanted to play for and stuck it to the Green Bay Management for trying to determine his course when he originally changed his mind on retirement. They weren't building around him to get back to a Super Bowl and he saw potential in his divisional rivals with a coach he respected.

Good for him and he played great all season. I just hope he doesn't drag it out and make a big stupid scene about it again. He's got to be feeling good about how he played this year; it'd be a nice change of pace if he just said we've got the tools in MN and if they'll have me back I'll play again.

Posted by: theobserver4 | January 26, 2010 5:05 PM
Report Offensive Comment

If you're satisfied making it to the first or second round of the playoffs and then coughing up a crushing, game-losing interception or three, then by all means bring Favre back. If not, then sh#tcan his butt.

Posted by: jbokor | January 26, 2010 5:04 PM

@pete25

That's why I said "VIRTUALLY nothing lost". Yes, there were the remote possibilities that it could have been a pick with a big return, or that the Vikes kicker could have made a 55-yard FG. But basically, Favre had MUCH more to gain than lose by doing what he did. This was NOT the gunslinger INT that sportswriters were drooling for since August.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | January 26, 2010 4:51 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Same old song too many times. Farve cannot make the smart play when something heroic is possible. Simply cannot. He has been on four teams that should have won Super Bowls and has made critical mistakes 3 out of the 4 times. He has led them to the edge of the promised land but, Moses-like, cannot enter. It is in his makeup to want to be the hero, even when something un-heroic will get the job done and not blow it. He cannot do that. So, please, go.

Posted by: norman1515 | January 26, 2010 4:11 PM

@spunkydawg1

Nothing lost? What if Sharper intercepts that ball instead of Porter? There would probably be no OT.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 4:08 PM
Report Offensive Comment

As a passionate Vikings fan, still in physical pain from the game, I cannot overstate how much I appreciate having Favre play for the team this year and how much I want him back. I hold him not at all responsible for the loss Sunday and instead have a deep feeling of appreciation for the incredible effort he put in to keep us in the game with a chance to win. Similarly, I have tremendous gratitude for his playing this year- the enjoyment he gave to me was boundless. Moreover, the alternative was- and is- very unsatisfying. The only chance we have next year of competing for the Super Bowl is if he comes back. Otherwise, we will be average or maybe slightly above average, and I very selfishly hope that he returns.

Posted by: trey4 | January 26, 2010 4:06 PM

@sasquatchbigfoot

It was 3rd and 15. By accepting the pre-snap penalty, the down remained the same.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 4:04 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Favre still wants to win the superbowl one more time. All the key components to this very good Viking team are under contract and will be back (except for Chester Taylor, a free agent who will probably decide, correctly, that he can be the starter for practically any other team in the league). Management and the coaches are behind him, and will put up with his oddities (tearful goodbyes, avoiding camp, etc.) Favre has the desire, and the team, to get him back on top. Barring any unforseen decline in his physical skills, Farve will be starting for the Vikings next year. It would be too much against his nature to NOT return.

As a lifelong Vikings fan, my hope is that Favre does return AND that the Vikes use the draft to bring in a "quarterback of the Future" who can develop under him for the year. That would be the best of all possible worlds.

Posted by: Steve-2 | January 26, 2010 4:04 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Yeah, call it quits Brett! You've won a superbowl and set countless records and you don't have anything more to prove. You're getting older and more frail. Your 41 old body will NOT tolerate more beatings like you got last Sunday from twenty something 300+ lb defensive linemen!

It was abundantly clear to everyone watching you play last Sunday the beating you were taking was impacting your game. Your throws were more tentative and off the mark as the game wore on. It also took you longer to get up off the ground after each hit you took. A younger man would have bounced up much quicker but you're 40 years old for God's sake.

Please, Brett, for your own safety call it quits. You're headed to the Hall of Fame. Pro football is a young man's game and unfortunately, you're not young anymore.

Posted by: montana123 | January 26, 2010 4:03 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Why on earth is everyone complaining about Favre's last INT?!? Yes, he's forced plenty of INTs over the years, but what would you geniuses have had him do on that play? Gain a yard or two on a bum ankle?? Safely throw the ball away and settle for a 55-yard FG attempt?? Are you kidding me?!?

No, this was one time for sure where the situation DEMANDED that Favre try to make something happen. So he got picked, big deal, there was virtually nothing lost.

But since sportswriters had predetermined the storyline way back in August, they had to stick with it. That's way more pathetic than any pick Favre has ever thrown.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | January 26, 2010 4:01 PM
Report Offensive Comment

yes, Favre shoulda woulda run on 3d down.

what's missing?

the coulda.

he couldn'ta.

like he said post game, he went back into the game immediately after the sideline tape job because, if he waited, he wouldn't have been able to play at all, his ankle was that severely injured, and he knew he wouldn't be walking the day after.

as one who's had his share of ankle sprains and now has diabetic feet problems, I believe him when he indicates he looked up field and didn't think his feet could take him where he needed to go.

he is absolutely right that a moment of indecision doomed him to totally forego the scamper option.

so he threw against his body?

so did Mark Sanchez in the Colts title game, and no one talks about those mistakes.

Favre was hung out to dry all day and on that play too; you want to fault anybody, question why Sidney Rice and everyone else failed to fire drill come back to the flat.

Posted by: touchthestick | January 26, 2010 3:59 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Uhhh, Mike, it was 4th and 15. It would have taken a minor miracle for Favre to get the 15. With the twisted ankle there was no way he could hope to run for 15. Even if he had run or passed for 10, the Saints would have taken over on downs. As others have noted, it was the brainless running calls on earlier downs that led the Vikings into a 4th and long situation.

When Favre went down with the ankle injury, it was the Saints' game to lose, regardless of any Favre heroics.

The most telling aspect of the game is that it took an overtime field goal for the Saints to win, despite forcing FIVE Vikings turnovers, two of which which morale killers in the red zone. The Saints should have won in regulation by 10-14 points.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 26, 2010 3:57 PM
Report Offensive Comment

"And please, don't tell me about the 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty that pushed the Vikings back five yards. Favre is too good, his weapons in that Minnesota team too vast for him to be unable to find a play to pick up 10 yards rather than throw that pick."

Michael, I think the Saints D might dispute this! Automatically spotting them 10 yds on 3rd and 15? That's hogwash. That drive was on life-support, a 46-56 yd FG is no gimme, and there was still OT to be had. Not a killer pick.

Your navy-and-orange slip is showing...

Posted by: steenbock88 | January 26, 2010 3:56 PM

@rjheitman

Thank you.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 3:56 PM
Report Offensive Comment

btw, if you're going to include Brady in that group, you have to include Aikman.

Posted by: dallas28 | January 26, 2010 3:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

One of the whined-about hits on Favre was the knock-on-his-ass blast from a Saints linebacker after Favre had handed the ball off to a running back for a run to the left side of the line. Favre continued out to his right, and got in front of a pursuing-the-running back linebacker - who didn't just stop and say, "Excuse me, Mr. Pampered QB, I'll quit on this play so that you don't get hurt" - who de-cleated him.

What is the rule on that? Are QB's entitled to get in the way of defenders and then earn yellow flags when they get hit? Favre likes the praise when he tries to block for his teammates, but when the other team hits back, it's "where's the flag?"

But, not all QB's get that favored treatment. Witness Aaron Rodgers against the Cardinals, who got the crown of a helmet to his chin at the end of their game. No flag (and no crying about it by the Packers) whereas the Saints player was penalized 15 yards.

Posted by: rjheitman | January 26, 2010 3:50 PM
Report Offensive Comment

For his wife's sake, NO! Did you see her face? I might be a sentimental sap, but he's selfish if he puts her through another game, let alone another year. She's living in luxury because he did play so well for so long. He should now afford her and their kid(s)? the luxury of having him around in decent health for more than 10 minutes after he does retire.

Posted by: bkhoward1 | January 26, 2010 3:48 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Some atheletes can play at the highest level until the pressure is on. Like Shaun Suisham, Favre is one of those people. He always has choked when under pressure and he always will.

Posted by: hartmike20032004 | January 26, 2010 3:47 PM
Report Offensive Comment

No - You need to call it quits McWilbon, you are a rider....if he won, you would be on here chanting - Favray, Favray, Favray and clapping like the mom in the Clumps.

Posted by: J_thinks | January 26, 2010 3:45 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The Vikings outplayed the Saints and until Brett was really hurting he layed very well. After he was knocked down he looked defeate and old. But he is still great and should play one more year. I think any team would be great with him as their leader. Imagine if th Skins had Brett and a front line to protect him.

Posted by: junglejamm | January 26, 2010 3:35 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I'll admit he has been one of the most fun players to watch over the years. Part of the fun is knowing that when the game is big, he has to make sure it is all about him. Organizations who sign him are looking at ways to sell tickets and get their endorsement percentages...they're not trying to win championships.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 3:27 PM
Report Offensive Comment

It doesn't matter to me. Farve has been an outstanding player to watch and I have enjoyed many memorible moments of his career. If I was him, I would have nothing really left to prove, and in fear of winding up hurt, I would leave and retire before I need to be pushed around in a wheelchair the rest of my days.
One thing that I couldn't believe, is that a hall of famer like he is made such a rookie mistake on the last play of his season.

Posted by: ai3di | January 26, 2010 3:20 PM
Report Offensive Comment

He's no Reggie Jackson. Jackson delivered when the chips were down. Favre consistently chokes.

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | January 26, 2010 3:19 PM

@pahrumpete

Favre never stepped on the field in overtime. So try coming with the facts next time.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 3:13 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The Vikings-Saint game was the first full game of the year for this writer, who was in Baltimore the night Johnny U., Gene Lipscomb and crew flew home from NYC with total glory.
I saw Blanda in the Raider's Santa Rosa training camp, Montana and Rice in Candlestick, Jim Plunkett, O.J., Steve Young, Merlin Olsen and many others.
I've never before seen a cold-blooded 100% effort to knock a quarterback out of the game, until I watched the Saints attack Favre.
The beating he took for four quarters was the product of the Saints defense selling out with every play to put him on the ground and out of the game.
Pro football is a brutal game, but to criicize Favre for staying on his feet, giving 150% for five quarters of that beating is ridiculous.
No one commenting here would have survived, let alone continued play after one of those hits.
The fact he was still playing for the sudden death victory well into the fifth quarter is beyond amazing.
He threw a mistake on his last play. The miracle was, Favre was still on his feet and fighting for victory.
Had that situation appeared at the end of the first half, before he took repeated unneccessary hits, Favre would have sprinted for 10-20 yards to place the ball squarely before the uprights for his kicker.
The criticism for that game belongs to the Saints coaches and those defensive players who went all out to put Favre out of action.

Posted by: pahrumpete | January 26, 2010 3:10 PM
Report Offensive Comment

If the Vikings carry Brett to the playoffs again next year. He will lose it for them again. The whole league has the book on him now. He won't allow a kicker to win the game. There are two types of QBs. Some will hand the ball off to a running back who just made a 48 yard run to the 3 inch line. Others will insist on throwing a 3 inch pass to pad their stats. Brett has been the latter his entire career.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 3:03 PM
Report Offensive Comment

37 TDs vs. 7 Ints., how many other QB's in the league had numbers like that. And don't tell it is just because he had such a good team around him. How good was Minnesota a year earlier without Favre? Wilbon is right that he is both great and maddening, but overall, he is still very, very good. Minnesota should beg him to come back next year for another shot at the Super Bowl, and then draft a quarterback for the future. Real opportunities to reach the Super Bowl don't come around often (don't we know it in Washington). Minnesota is going nowhere with there current QBs (minus Favre), but really could reach the Super Bowl with him.

Posted by: MRPost | January 26, 2010 3:00 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Oh come on. This game was destined to be won or lost at the coin toss in overtime. Brett was a perfect match for the Vikings -- a great team without a great QB. They have that now. Brett will take the Vikings to the playoffs next year. I am more certain of that than The Washington Post retaining its sports writers.

Posted by: tsummers1 | January 26, 2010 2:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

How about Michael Wilbon retiring?

Posted by: glazer68 | January 26, 2010 2:51 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Yes he should. A QB of his caliber should not, should not make a rookie mistake. One could make the argument that HE wanted to be the one to win the game not some place kicker. He is a great QB. I wanted his team to win no matter where or what team he played for. he's not going to chg. His play will only deminish as he ages. Don't ruin the memories.

Posted by: doughboy96 | January 26, 2010 2:50 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Brady? Puhleez! Certainly he has been exposed after the Ravens smackdown a couple of weeks ago.
As for laying the defeat on Favre-what a crock! I listened on the radio, so I got a different perspective on things(maybe more of the announcers' views). Seemed like NO had the refs pretty much on their(or at least the 'Saints march to Glory" big media money)side. The 12 man thing was big-Favre might have chanced a 1yd run w/his ankle, or at least, someone else would have had a good shot at a successful run-shouldn't have been a pass of necessity. The fumbles were another sufficient cause for the loss.The SD OT thing is another gift to the media which shouldn't decide contests like this.
So, laying this on Favre is BS-he played a great game, all things considered, and I hope he is up to giving it another shot. He's certainly one of the best to play the game.

Posted by: avanti77 | January 26, 2010 2:48 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The last-minute pick was vintage Favre. No question. If he doesn't play next seaon, the Vikings won't even sniff the playoffs because their QB situation without him is a disaster. Jackson isn't the answer and didn't seem inclined to learn from Favre. Not once in all the games I saw the Vikes play on TV this season did I see Jackson anywhere near Favre on the sideline. Sage Rosenfels, on the other hand, looked like he was stalking Favre.

Posted by: frank_jackman | January 26, 2010 2:48 PM
Report Offensive Comment

If you can do the job....

then do the job

FAVRE, I'd take him starting for the skins.... no questions asked.

Posted by: docwhocuts | January 26, 2010 2:46 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Whatever he says he is going to do, he should do it, not change his mind. It seems so huberistic to expect the whole football world to be hanging on whether you will or will not play next year. And no matter what he says, everyone will hang on that expecting him to change. Sports commentator will be talking about Farve until spring training.

Decide and be done with it.

Posted by: tinyjab40 | January 26, 2010 2:41 PM

Brett,

Just go away. Somewhere there is a tractor with your name on it. There is a fun-loving chocolate lab who has no idea what a whiney, self absorbed, self entitled dumbo you actually are. The dog just wants to play with you. You are good at that. Go away. Every year dozens of devoted pro football players retire quietly, happily and with dignity. We don't hear about them. They don't consider themselves bigger than the game. Get a freakin' clue Mr. 320plus interception guy. Have the class to go out gracefully. The sport has made you wealthy and famous -- not the other way around. Creep.

Posted by: pete25 | January 26, 2010 2:39 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Yes, it time for Brett Farve aka the Jack Benny of football to retire. He MUST know everybody is waiting for him to announce SURPRISE!SURPRISE! he's retiring,yet again.He limped off the field Sunday ,get out before its more serious.

Posted by: lnyk | January 26, 2010 2:32 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I feel that the primary reason that we've seen Favre's interception totals drop so much this year is that he's finally in a situation for the first time in a long while where he hasn't felt like he has to shoulder the full load. Between the beating he was taking and the fumbles that were beyond his control, by the end of regulation he was most likely ridiculously battered and fatigued, aiding any frustrations he was feeling to boil to the surface, resulting in a brief return to his gambling ways.

Posted by: FlyersFan27 | January 26, 2010 2:28 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Forget the interception and the 12 men in the huddle--they lost that game on first and second down when they cautiously and predictably ran the ball for zero yards.

Getting to the outside edge of field goal range and then turning into passive clock watchers killed the Vikings.

Posted by: writinron | January 26, 2010 2:27 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Brett is the best as quarterbacks go.
I want to watch him for at least 2 more seasons.
One game does not a career make or break, but on Sunday he just forgot the primary rule. TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE WILL GIVE YOU.
He had a nice short run to the side lines (minus the sore ankle) and then the field goal for the win.
Field goals are as fun as the kickers who kick them. The center has to do it right. The holder has to do it right. Then the kicker has to be on the mark.
Brett thought it would have been easier to throw the touchdown pass he thought should have been open...
But that is what makes him so much fun to watch.

Posted by: scroggsri | January 26, 2010 2:26 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I am not a fan of Brett's, for me the game is everything. Players and even teams pale next to my love of the game.
That is how I came to the realization that Mike Wilbon is football "challenged.". To make the assumption that the 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty doesn't matter shows his complete lack of understanding for the game.
Trading a nearly sure-thing field goal, for the random outcome potential of continuing play, due solely to having too many players on the field is due and just cause to terminate the contracts of both the OC and the special teams coach. That play is for the SB, for all the NFC marbles. Instead it caused the outcome to return into the hands of a beat up and bruised 40 yr old man. Talk about despiration!

Posted by: docpipkin | January 26, 2010 2:23 PM
Report Offensive Comment

This will be another offseason with the Favre BS concerning retirement. He needs to retire and stay there and not disrupt the offseason and preseason the way he has been doing for the past couple of years. Enough is enough! Also he is so beat up and tired, his age is catching up with him and it shows. I really resent the Favre disruption as stated above and IMO, if Favre truly loves the game he will quit the nonsense, make a decision and stick to it. That's the manly thing to do.

Posted by: ladyredskins | January 26, 2010 2:16 PM
Report Offensive Comment

After that one "Saint" player used his helmet to smash Favre in the back of the legs, most quarterbacks would not have been able to finish the game.

There were also two wrong calls at the end of the game that gave the Saints extra chances to win.

New Orleans was out to physically injure him not just intimidate Favre. They played a dirty game against him with the body slam etc.

Why should he quit just because other quartebacks couldn't hack it at his age?

He will be back and will go to the Super Bowl.

This comment is from a life long Packer Fan who is now more a Favre fan.

Posted by: rayboyusmc44 | January 26, 2010 2:16 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Why can't someone go out on top of his game? Does he really want to be known as the guy who didn't know when to call it quits? Will he keep playing to win a Super Bowl?

Posted by: CEHinBowieMD | January 26, 2010 2:10 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Why was Peyton not on your list of all time great QBs. The guy is simply amazing and amazingly consistent - year in and year out.

Posted by: Rohit_334101 | January 26, 2010 2:05 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Brett threw the game away when Minnesota had the game won.
He wasted 3 downs and nobody from the sideline objected to what he was doing.
All that was necessary was to gain 10-15 yards and kick the field goal. That was it!!

What ever he was doing he did not help the team and brought total disappointment to the fans and Minnesota. One has to wonder why?

He did not want to win the game????
If retires now this should haunt him for some time.

Posted by: 68b2b | January 26, 2010 2:04 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The NFL would be better for the return of both Favre and Warner in 2010.

Of course, that's easy for this fan to say; I don't have to take the hits they do. Still, I agree with the sentiment of this post and hope to see both of them (particularly Favre) back on the field come September.

Posted by: drischord | January 26, 2010 1:58 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Mike, I normally do not agree with much you say, but in this case, you are right on the money. I personally think he won't come back because his family does not want to watch him get a beating again, the dirty play of the Saints was sickening and the refs obviously were pulling for New Orleans. I hope the Colts pummel the Saints.
They deserve it. As far as the Vikings go, what do people think about slippery fingers Peterson? You take his fumbles out of the mix and the Saints would be watching the Super Bowl from Bourbon street. Bottom Line, Favre had one of his best seasons,
he should come back if he wants. He showed more guts in four hours Sunday than most players do in a lifetime.

Posted by: fairfaxgoper | January 26, 2010 1:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

This praising of Farve is ridiculous ! He blew the NFC championship game for the Vikings with the dumb azz throw that was easily intercepted by the Saints DB. If Donovan McNabb had made such an idiotic play he would have been villified to no end. Wilbon stop being such a sellout Uncle Tom and call Farve out for blowing the game !

Posted by: ellislawoffice | January 26, 2010 1:53 PM
Report Offensive Comment

In the last of the season, after finding few open receivers I think Brett Favre would have ordinarily run the ball to gain the five or ten yards that were open, but he was playing with a twisted ankle.

Posted by: g-lo | January 26, 2010 1:53 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Favre's issues are between his ears. He's still got enough of the physical gifts, but he continues to be undisciplined and selfish under pressure. Just limp along for a few yards, slide down, and let your kicker earn his keep! Maybe next year when he's 41 he'll grow up!!!

Posted by: DontGetIt | January 26, 2010 1:53 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Brett Favre is an inspiration to any sport, not just football. It's refreshing for the over-40 crowd to watch Brett Favre or Kurt Warner play just one more Sunday. They make great examples for the young players, especially nowaday when the locker room is often filled with quick $$$$$, drama queens, and take-myself-out-of-the-game attitudes.

Posted by: linux_fan | January 26, 2010 1:44 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I agree with those who say Mr. Brady was an all-time great when you know every play the defense is going to make, etc. Steve Young & Troy Aikman were both better, IMO.

As for Mr. Favre, I think all those hits oughta be telling him that sooner or later he's going to take the hit that will have him drooling in a cup when he's 60. That would be a shame.

Posted by: Paul_in_KY | January 26, 2010 1:43 PM
Report Offensive Comment

He's got all the skills and heart to continue to turn in stellar performances, however after the beating he took in the fourth quarter he got sloppy, 40 somethings are not built for it.
Quit on top and retire in a house with no steps.

Posted by: moondog52 | January 26, 2010 1:42 PM
Report Offensive Comment

He's still playing great so why not keep playing? My only concern is that at his age, a defensive lineman might end up shattering every bone in his body.

Posted by: nuzuw | January 26, 2010 1:23 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Farve is only 40? ... looks more like 50 to me.

Posted by: Viennacommuter1 | January 26, 2010 1:23 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Really? His body recovery time will only slow, the pain grow and his the whince's in his wife's face increase - only the most selfish or masochistic would suggest he continue playing. Like Ali, he needs to know when to walk away so he could live out the second half of his life with some decency.

Posted by: avalpert | January 26, 2010 1:22 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Who cares? Please build a column on something relevant.

Posted by: RichardinPasadena | January 26, 2010 1:18 PM
Report Offensive Comment

It's time for Michael Wilbon to retire! The only sportscaster that's more annoying, and hence should retire sooner, is ESPN's Chris Berman.

Posted by: glazer68 | January 26, 2010 1:15 PM

Mike,
Another example of why you're the best sports columnist out there (new WP columnist Tracy Wise(?) is a pretty damn good rookie though)...you summed up Brett Favre perfectly: a tremendous quarterback who hovers just outside that select half-dozen all-time "greatest" due to the maddening mistake. I'm not a Vikes fan, but he has the (young) cast to make another serious run next year...they'll have to restrict his pre-season and in-season work more than ever at age 41 though...

Posted by: kaiserbl | January 26, 2010 1:10 PM
Report Offensive Comment

You guys focus on two admittedly key interceptions that kept the Pack and the Vikings from the SB.

Bad as they were, I challenge anyone to find a QB who's pulled as many games out of the fire as Favre in the waning moments of high-drama games. Didn't I see his 35-yard last-second touchdown pass against the 49'ers in September replayed about 10,550 times on ESPN????

Yeah, he blew it Sunday. But he is still the TOUGHEST hombre EVER to suit up anywhere, and he's thrilled us for so long that we just take him and his talent for granted.

Posted by: loulor | January 26, 2010 1:09 PM

Posted by: DontGetIt | January 26, 2010 1:08 PM
Report Offensive Comment

At 40 years old Bret Farve still can do the job at a level above almost every other quarter back in college and pro levels.

Not bad for 40.

If he retires..then thank you for the memories Bret.

If not..I can't wait till next year.

Not bad for 40.

Posted by: travisg2 | January 26, 2010 1:07 PM
Report Offensive Comment

The question is not "Should Favre retire?" but rather, "Should Favre return as usual?" after his annual retirement this year.

Posted by: jdVA | January 26, 2010 1:06 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Why is this even being discussed now? The Vikings lost - the Saints won and are going to the Super Bowl. Gee, so are the Colts. Why are we wasting time talking about Favre? His season is done. Oh, I know why - because Favre is a egomaniac who can't stand to be out of the limelight. What a pathetic baby he is and shame on you, Wilbon, for helping him.

Posted by: cjgh | January 26, 2010 1:03 PM
Report Offensive Comment

"Brett Favre ought to think the only thing he needs to do is cut out the odd interception, the slip-up, the bad judgment with the game on the line."

I guess it takes a paid professional sportswriter to ignore the obvious: Favre *did* cut out the odd interceptions, the slip-ups, the bad judgments with the game on the line ALL SEASON LONG, and played better than he has in years, if not ever.

Yet, when push came to shove, his last play of the season, if not his career, he reverted back to form.

Favre is one of the game's best. He's also one of the worst. He giveth, he taketh away.

This season was his best chance to write his biography WITHOUT having it mention his insanely prolific interceptions. Alas, the way he ended it, every football bio of Favre will mention those game- and season-killing interceptions in the very first paragraph.

Fitting, I think.

Posted by: dell4 | January 26, 2010 1:02 PM
Report Offensive Comment

how about Brett Favre as a backup for the Redskins?

Posted by: aalam69yahoocom | January 26, 2010 12:55 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Despite being among the very best players around, it's hard to respect somebody who won't make a decision and stick with it.

Posted by: mssnatchquatch | January 26, 2010 12:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I agree with you Mike, Brett should come back but work on "not" getting creative at the end of a game. Thats was my concern prior to the game; that he'd get down to the last couple of minutes then "get creative"..it always puzzled me.
It appeared almost "self defeating" but I hoped it wasn't. If his body can take it - I'd love to see him come back. He makes football fun to watch because he just loves the game.

Posted by: Rozlind | January 26, 2010 12:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

I do think it would be foolish to make a decision now after getting beaten up so much, but of course he's not going to retire now - he's got to wait throughout the summer so he gets more attention - but I guarantee he will make a commotion before the Super Bowl so he gets some attention during Super Bowl week.

As I watched the game this past Sunday, I said several times that Favre will try to do something to "impress" people - he will try to zip/force a pass into triple coverage, or when the game is on the line his mindset will click in to he has to be the center of attention - his final interception was a perfect example of that and I actually laughed when he threw that ball. You could see it coming - the short toss to the guy in the flat was just too easy and probably those extra ten yards would have allowed them to win the game - but his mindset was "watch me impress everybody by zipping this ball across the grain, which any other QB other than me can't do, and they'll talk about what a great pass this was to win the game for us!" He's a fine QB, he is not to be mentioned with the greats of all-time. To me, his greatest legacy is his durability, not his stats. He accumlated those just because he's played a long time.

Posted by: AsstGM | January 26, 2010 12:36 PM
Report Offensive Comment

"Favre throws the critical interception, too, which is why Favre isn't in that top group of all-time quarterbacks, the group that includes Otto Graham, John Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway and Tom Brady."

******************************************
LOL
Throwout stats, and he's not even in the category of 2 QB's from his prime that were also in their prime. Aikman and S. Young.

Favre had a telented team in those years, but his int's in big games - NFC title games contributed to why he won 1 SB and Aikman won 3. Aikman had more talent, but also made fewer mistakes in big games. Young made fewer errors than Favre, but more than Aikman in big games.

Once in the SB, Aikman played well 3 times with 1 SB MVP. Young played great and was also game MVP. Favre was REGULAR SEASON MVP and had the great Desmond Howard win game MVP in the SB.

Thus his errors do remind us of Reggie Jackson, who hits lost of HR's, but struck out alot more than most when it mattered too. Favre: all time leadwer in TD's AND int's.

Posted by: kedavis | January 26, 2010 12:25 PM
Report Offensive Comment

In Redskins country no mention of Sammy Baugh among the all-time greats? Seems like a heck of an oversight to me.

Posted by: SupportAndDefendTheConstitution | January 26, 2010 11:50 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I would love to see Favre back! I have always liked Favre, but after that game the other night I have even more respect for the guy. I mean he took a major beating and kept coming back and making good play after good play. I am a Redskins fan and was cheering for the Saints because it would be so great for their city to be in and win the Super Bowl with all that has happened there. But how can you not cheer for the NFL's iron man. The Vikes should have won that game, but turnovers killed them. I hope he comes back because without him, we wouldn't have seen the best playoff game amongst the dudes of this years playoff games and I am sure the Vikes will be better next year with him. Otherwise they are stuck with Tavaris Jackson. OUCH!!

Posted by: deby1 | January 26, 2010 11:33 AM
Report Offensive Comment

If you were creating a new team and were given the chance to draft any QB in the history of the NFL, who would you take?

Peyton Manning, hands down.

Did you see that game against the Jets? The guy was unreal. He made at least a half-dozen incredible passes. Without him, the Colts are 8-8 at best.

So why is he in not your list of all-time greats?

Posted by: InTheMiddle | January 26, 2010 10:54 AM
Report Offensive Comment

For many people, retirement just means less responsibility and more freedom rather giving up their profession entirely.

Lots of people retire, but still show up to work anyway. They get respect for it. Favre ought to as well.

The trouble is, everybody BUT Favre decided it was time for him to retire.

Posted by: jboogie1 | January 26, 2010 10:19 AM
Report Offensive Comment

"which is why Favre isn't in that top group of all-time quarterbacks, the group that includes Otto Graham, John Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway and Tom Brady."

Umm, Tom Brady? Really? So we're counting championships and stats obtained by cheating? It's a whole lot easier to read defense, set up blocking schemes at the line of scrimage, etc, when you have illegally obtained videotape and know which defense is coming at you.

And no mention of Peyton Manning in that group?

Posted by: fushezzi | January 26, 2010 9:51 AM
Report Offensive Comment

The below post should have read shouldn't have thrown that ball but he was trying to make a play; to win vs. should have.

Posted by: neil64 | January 26, 2010 9:50 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Enough of the Farve bashing. It started when he retired from the Packers and then changed his mind. Everyone has a right to change their mind as many times as they wish. If I retired today, woke up in a week reengergized and wanted to work again, why not? If my employer wanted me back, great. If not, I'd find someone that did. Farve had people calling him want him to play for them.
As for his critical interceptions, yes he should have thrown that ball but he was trying to make a play; to win. If you look at the replay from his vantage point, you could not see the defender at all. That is why throwing across your body is inherently dangerous. Farve is not the reason the Vikings lost. Where was the defense? Where was that defensive line that should have been in Brees' face all game? What about all of those fumbles? Without all of the fumbles, the Viking would have won that game before overtime. I am not a Vikings fan but seeing as the Skins are 2 or 3 seasons away from the playoffs, if Farve can get his team(s) to the playoffs, I'll be happy to watch him.

Posted by: neil64 | January 26, 2010 9:48 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Brett should return. he still good and still one of the best that play Q B.

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | January 26, 2010 9:37 AM
Report Offensive Comment

You know what retirement means? It means you can do anything you want. Brett Farve showed more heart out there than 90% of the quarterbacks out there (Colt McCoy take notes). Why should he give up the sport he loves and most importantly, good at doing? He has nothing to prove and everything to gain. AND this was his first year with Minnesota. Adrian Peterson need to work with Tiki Barber on not fumbling. So, I think Brett Farve is retired and his hobby is just football.

Posted by: bigsherwin | January 26, 2010 9:32 AM